If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It???

If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It???  

1,014 members have voted

1. 1. If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It So You Can Cruise Again?

• YES
    • NO

8 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

Sorry just showing what I have found.

Take it for what it is worth.

About one documented case per year.

Agree - who knows what it means.  But wonder why CDC specifically says PEG on their website with regards to allergic reactions???  Wish we could ask someone at CDC!

NJ

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NJ&Ozzie said:

Agree - who knows what it means.  But wonder why CDC specifically says PEG on their website with regards to allergic reactions???  Wish we could ask someone at CDC!

NJ

While I'm not the CDC, I did find this....

"The risk specific to mRNA vaccines is related to polyethylene glycol (PEG), which is part of the lipopolysaccharide coating which is used to encapsulate the mRNA particle,” Glatter said. “This also applies to polysorbate, which is not in the mRNA COVID-19 vaccines, but is closely related to PEG.”

Glatter said that if you know you’re allergic to an ingredient in the vaccine, you should talk with an allergist before receiving the shot.

“In addition, if you have already had a reaction to the first dose of the vaccine, then a visit to an allergist is a good idea before considering the second dose,” he said.

According to Glatter, the people at higher risk for an allergic reaction include those who have previously experienced anaphylaxis from:

drugs

medical products

foods

insect stings

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, boscobeans said:

Thousands of employees at hospitals and other medical facilities are required to be vaccinated as a condition of employment.

There are plenty of medical facilities that don’t require the staff too be vaccinated.

8 hours ago, CaroleSS said:

The ADA stipulates that they cannot require me to get vaccinated if I cannot receive the vaccine due to a health issue.

Has your doctor said it’s not a good idea to get it or do you just not want it? 

6 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

There are plenty of medical facilities that don’t require the staff too be vaccinated.

Has your doctor said it’s not a good idea to get it or do you just not want it? 

I've already gotten my first shot.....my sister has significant allergies and has been told by her doctor to NOT get the shot. She would like to re-enter society, but this blight that you all put upon her is, IMHO, unjust. To treat her like a leper because of a health issue, which she certainly didn't ask for, makes me shake my head. She is not "selfish" for not getting the shot, she isn't "trying to kill you" by not getting the shot....she just doesn't want the shot to potentially kill her.

How does she safely re-enter society (or cruise)? (I ask this to the "no vaccine, no cruise" folk)

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, CaroleSS said:

How does she safely re-enter society (or cruise)? (I ask this to the "no vaccine, no cruise" folk)

The requirement of a vaccine to cruise has not yet been determined for the larger cruise lines.  There have been several smaller lines that have already stated that either a vaccine or a negative PCR test will be required.  Until the cruise lines definitively provide guidance it is not worth getting caught up in the “what if’s”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, CaroleSS said:

I've already gotten my first shot.....my sister has significant allergies and has been told by her doctor to NOT get the shot. She would like to re-enter society, but this blight that you all put upon her is, IMHO, unjust. To treat her like a leper because of a health issue, which she certainly didn't ask for, makes me shake my head. She is not "selfish" for not getting the shot, she isn't "trying to kill you" by not getting the shot....she just doesn't want the shot to potentially kill her.

I’m late to the show here. I have no issue with them not getting the vaccine on Doctors recommendation. I must ask, with these problems with reactions, why would they risk cruising where people are packed into space and spread is likely to by easy?

M8

• Like 1

On 2/15/2021 at 9:29 PM, Incognito1 said:

If you have had the vaccine, why do you care if someone else has not?  That seems hypocritical.  Why should one person get to make a medical decision for another?  Especially when NOBODY is financially responsible if there are side effects.  Prove that a piece of underwear on a person's face protects others -- I have seen very few people wearing N-95 or N-100 masks and wearing them correctly.  Absent both the correct wearing, the constant wearing, and the efficiency of the mask, it's delusional.

I will answer that. Those who have and will be vaccinated (myself included) will be doing their part for our country to reach safe herd immunity. Once our population reaches herd immunity, we will see our lives go back to normal. Until that happens, our lives will be altered from the normal we all have known pre-Covid.

The more people who are NOT vaccinated, the more the Covid virus will mutate. The more people who are vaccinated, the mutations of the virus will be stopped in their tracks.

Call me selfish that I want to see our country reach herd immunity SAFELY and see our great country back to the normal we all once knew. Anti-vaxxers will not allow this to occur if there are enough people who refuse the vaccine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, CaroleSS said:

Let me ask you this... If some people on the ship are not vaccinated and that requires everyone to wear masks, distance, restricts port calls, and requires a company to not book their ships to capacity... is that fair? Now, if someone is not vaccinated and it doesn't affect everyone else's cruise experience and ships can still safely book to capacity then that is a different matter.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, CaroleSS said:

Ridiculous.  ‘Re-entering society’ as you put it and going on a cruise are not the same things.  Your sister will likely not get vaccinated and as most of the surrounding population is immunized and the virus becomes less present she’ll be able to start going about her normal pre-COVID business with, perhaps, some ongoing precautions.  Cruising may be out of reach for her for some time; the risk to her may be deemed too high for awhile (maybe for an indeterminate period of time.... we’ll have to see) and that will be a very unfortunate consequence of this disease.

All these questions also pertain to other diseases as well: measles, mumps, the seasonal flu....norovirus.  Why have we not been asking these questions for years?

To prevent the spread of norovirus (which is rampant on cruise ships) why have we allowed buffets? To prevent the spread of the seasonal flu every year, why have we not been wearing masks or social distancing? Why have we not required proof of the flu vaccine or other communicable diseases before? People do die each year from these things.

I ask these questions not to be obtuse, but to make people think. I understand that everyone is tired of being cooped up and we ALL want to go on vacation again, but we've been avoiding the elephant in the room all these years.

M8:

why would they risk cruising wherepeople are packed into space and spread is likely to by easy?

answer.....she doesn't. I brought her situation up because people were saying hobbible things about those who won't get the shot. I posed her situation so people might try to get off their ivory tower and think that there are some who would like to but can't. Yes, selfish on their part.....they want to cruise sooo bad that they are willing to throw her under the proverbial bus.

Coffeebean:

The more people who are NOT vaccinated, the more the Covid virus will mutate. The more people who are vaccinated, themutations of the virus will be stopped in their tracks.

this is simply not true! We have a vaccine for the seasonal flu and it mutates every year. What makes you think that CV won't as well (p.s. it already has!)

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Ridiculous.  ‘Re-entering society’ as you put it and going on a cruise are not the same things.  Your sister will likely not get vaccinated and as most of the surrounding population is immunized and the virus becomes less present she’ll be able to start going about her normal pre-COVID business with, perhaps, some ongoing precautions.  Cruising may be out of reach for her for some time; the risk to her may be deemed too high for awhile (maybe for an indeterminate period of time.... we’ll have to see) and that will be a very unfortunate consequence of this disease.

As I stated before, she is not a cruiser. I mentioned cruising as this is a cruising forum. But the point remains that people are vilifying those who won't get the vaccine because it will inconvenience them.....without thinking of the potential consequences to those who CAN'T get the vaccine.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Let me ask you this... If some people on the ship are not vaccinated and that requires everyone to wear masks, distance, restricts port calls, and requires a company to not book their ships to capacity... is that fair? Now, if someone is not vaccinated and it doesn't affect everyone else's cruise experience then that is a different matter.

How is it "fair" that, in the past, I've been on a cruise with unvaccinated people and a ship flush with norovirus and no one said a thing? Why haven't we been wearing masks all along?

• Like 3

Just now, CaroleSS said:

As I stated before, she is not a cruiser. I mentioned cruising as this is a cruising forum. But the point remains that people are vilifying those who won't get the vaccine because it will inconvenience them.....without thinking of the potential consequences to those who CAN'T get the vaccine.

OK.

I admit to not reading the entire thread and took exception to using ‘not being able to cruise’ as an example of her difficulties in participating in civil society and events.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, d9704011 said:

OK.

I admit to not reading the entire thread and took exception to using ‘not being able to cruise’ as an example of her difficulties in participating in civil society and events.

Bygones! 😘

8 minutes ago, CaroleSS said:

How is it "fair" that, in the past, I've been on a cruise with unvaccinated people and a ship flush with norovirus and no one said a thing? Why haven't we been wearing masks all along?

You know, you really have to start thinking harder about your examples.  Norovirus is not spread through the air so masks have nothing to do with it other than helping people keep their filthy fingers out of their mouths.

BTW, no vaccine for norovirus.

Edited by d9704011
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CaroleSS said:

Why don't we just give everyone a box of masks at birth and wear them everytime we leave our homes? 

You do know that there is no vaccine for noro, right? You do know it is not airborne transmission, right? You do know that if you are careful about washing your hands and touching your face that you can be with other people who have noro and not contract it, right?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Why don't we just give everyone a box of masks at birth and wear them everytime we leave our homes? 

You do know that there is no vaccine for noro, right? You do know it is not airborne transmission, right? You do know that if you are careful about washing your hands and touching your face that you can be with other people who have noro and not contract it, right?

Aw geez......why didn't *I* think of that! Mask wearing all the time......the "new normal"!?!?

Whaaaat? We should wash our hands and keep our hands away from our face.......blasphemy! Why didn't anyone ever tell me this before!!!!

Just so you know, I use these things as examples of how cruise ships are petrie dishes for disease.....we all knew it, for YEARS......yet we threw caution to the wind and cruised anyway. I just think it is hypocritical for us to NOW call people selfish for preventing (precious me) from cruising.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2021 at 9:49 PM, Incognito1 said:

There are tons.  Here are just the first few I got from Yippy.  If you couldn't find them, you might need to change your search engine to one not controlled by Goofle.  I've found Yippy to return less-filtered results. YMMV.

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2021/01/28/pfizer-vaccine-orange-county-moderna/

https://www.ocregister.com/2021/01/26/health-care-worker-dies-after-second-dose-of-covid-vaccine-investigations-underway/

https://nypost.com/2021/01/15/23-die-in-norway-after-receiving-pfizer-covid-19-vaccine/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9111311/Portuguese-health-worker-41-dies-two-days-getting-Pfizer-covid-vaccine.html

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/miami-doctor-dies-within-weeks-of-receiving-pfizer-covid-19-vaccine/ar-BB1cx6DA

Again, though, everyone needs to assess their OWN risk.  For many, the slight risk of side effects from the vaccines outweigh the risk of catching the virus.  For others, the risk assessment yields a different result.

This is an update from just from one of the articles you linked. This is regarding the 41 year old Portuguese woman.....

"UPDATE: In a press release sent out on January 5th the Portuguese Ministry of Justice advised that the preliminary results of the autopsy 'did not establish a direct relationship with the vaccine against Covid-19'"

46 minutes ago, CaroleSS said:

Aw geez......why didn't *I* think of that! Mask wearing all the time......the "new normal"!?!?

Whaaaat? We should wash our hands and keep our hands away from our face.......blasphemy! Why didn't anyone ever tell me this before!!!!

Just so you know, I use these things as examples of how cruise ships are petrie dishes for disease.....we all knew it, for YEARS......yet we threw caution to the wind and cruised anyway. I just think it is hypocritical for us to NOW call people selfish for preventing (precious me) from cruising.

I don't consider anyone as selfish for not getting the vaccine. Trust me, I am a big believer that each person has the right to make decisions about what to put into their bodies. However, you do have to accept the consequences of those decisions and adopt behaviors to keep yourself safe as the rest of the world will gradually return to life as it was and is not going to forever adopt present measures in order to protect the unvaccinated. To expect that they would is something I might view as selfish. Depending on how things open up,  the vaccinated may be able to safely return to activities that will take the unvaccinated a bit longer to get back to. That is just the way it is. That is especially true when we are discussing something as totally non-essential as going in a cruise.

I don't know that I would consider a cruise ship any more of a petri dish for disease that anywhere else where a lot of people are living together in rather tight quarters. With proper precautions, for the most part, one can remain healthy. I do hope, however,  that maybe the cruise lines will see this as good reason ro stop cramming more and more cabins into their ships and increasing the population density.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

29 minutes ago, CaroleSS said:

The reason Celebrity has so little novo virus on their ships is there relentless pushing of hand sanitizer. The get you before you ever get on the ship and stand outside the buffet and dining rooms ready to put it in your hand. I think it takes me 3 days after I get home to wash it all off. (just kidding,  I don't need a lecture on how quickly HS comes off your hands)

I think it is about time that they no longer have a cattle call for muster. THAT was a petri dish waiting to happen! I do not have a problem with the cruise lines requiring vaccines to sail. Eventually, they will be able to adjust that. In the meantime, those people need to make money and we need a vacation! As far as social distancing is concerned, if you are uncomfortable being around others, don't cruise and/or take the stairs.

18 minutes ago, Keys Kathy said:

The reason Celebrity has so little novo virus on their ships is there relentless pushing of hand sanitizer. The get you before you ever get on the ship and stand outside the buffet and dining rooms ready to put it in your hand. I think it takes me 3 days after I get home to wash it all off. (just kidding,  I don't need a lecture on how quickly HS comes off your hands)

I think it is about time that they no longer have a cattle call for muster. THAT was a petri dish waiting to happen! I do not have a problem with the cruise lines requiring vaccines to sail. Eventually, they will be able to adjust that. In the meantime, those people need to make money and we need a vacation! As far as social distancing is concerned, if you are uncomfortable being around others, don't cruise and/or take the stairs.

I am really happy that RCI has been installing hand washing stations in the Windjammers. I prefer eating after using soap and water instead of chemicals.

And you are correct about muster. There are not many times during a cruise when so many people are packed so tightly together for so long a period of time. I'm really looking forward to the new way of doing it.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2021 at 8:21 AM, CaroleSS said:

What if you can't get the vaccine due to being allergic to some of the ingredients?

Epi pens work to prevent a bad outcome from an anaphylactic reaction to drugs. If it were me, I would go ahead and get the vaccine under medical supervision with epinephrine at the ready. I would not hesitate one minute if I was allergic to any parts of the vaccine.

18 hours ago, boscobeans said:

They are just covering all contingencies.. Never see allergy warnings on Ice Cream for it or bread products.

ps. Immunizers are trained and prepared for allergic reactions should they occur and many sites have EMTs on hand as well.

Absolutely. It's called "epi-pen".

18 hours ago, life is to be happy said:

I’m sorry... has that actually been decided yet by ALL cruise  lines ....did I miss an announcement ...or have you just decided that is the case .... yep well we know the answer to that so no need to reply. 

Nothing has been mandated YET. I surely hope there will be a mandate for every single person who boards a cruise ship be vaccinated. That is what will make me feel safe and that is what will allow everyone on board to enjoy a pre-Covid cruise experience.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1