If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It???

If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It???  

1,014 members have voted

1. 1. If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It So You Can Cruise Again?

• YES
    • NO

46 minutes ago, yogimax said:

It was obvious I was asking how you would feel if you lost the person you love the most to COVID-19. 

But to answer your question... sadly, another 170,000 is entirely possible.  

The only person I know who I worry about contracting Covid-19 is my 89 year old grandmother. 

If that happens there won't be any cruising in 2021......another 170k that is.....

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, RETNAVY1996 said:

And then the other side of the coin, what would it be like if someone who got the vaccine found out it causes birth defects and gets pregnant, causes cancer, or something else it takes time to detect.  Who knows what the rushing to a vaccine will cause.   I am not an anti vaccine person, just one that has been a Ginny pig for shots in the military.  

That's a fair question and why the so-called "Operation Warp Speed" can never jump over important steps in the clinical trials.

Phase 2 of clinical studies deals with the effectiveness of the vaccine.

Phase 3 deals with safety issues.

If the studies are done correctly and not rushed for political reasons, the vaccine should be safe and save lives!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RETNAVY1996 said:

They say the average for phase 3 trial is 1-4 years so they can determine the drugs longer term effect.  

That is a real concern.

Each of us will have to make a decision as to whether the benefit from the vaccine outweighs the risk of possible longer term effects.  That decision will be based on factors such as age, underlying health conditions, etc.. It will be a difficult decision which is why we will need the very best medical and scientific guidance.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Dinglebert said:

You are making a common mistake.  Wearing a mask does not protect you, it helps protect other people.  So while you can wear a mask all the time it won't stop your getting the flu virus if somene else has it and isn't wearing a mask.

I'd contend that the present consensus is the greatest benefit occurs when everyone wears masks.  You right in that a greater reduction of transmission occurs when an infected person wears a mask amongst non-infected not wearing masks, than when non-infected wearing masks are amongst infected not wearing masks.  However, there is a further reduction when all parties wear a mask. 

13 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

At around 5.5 million confirmed cases and possibly tens of millions of undiagnosed cases in the US pretty much says that the vast majority of people will shrug it off.

Yes, but there is still uncertainty whether having the virus will grant permanent immunity.  It may only last ~6 months.  Also, some indications in German studies of cardiac impact (mainly inflammation) in up to 80% of total people who recovered from Covid (including those under 50).  People need to be very careful with this.  My son's 22, I don't want him being cavalier thinking he'll shrug it off and potentially damage his heart for life in the process. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, yogimax said:

That's a fair question and why the so-called "Operation Warp Speed" can never jump over important steps in the clinical trials.

Phase 2 of clinical studies deals with the effectiveness of the vaccine.

Phase 3 deals with safety issues.

If the studies are done correctly and not rushed for political reasons, the vaccine should be safe and save lives!

Every time someone says the "political" part I laugh.  How would that apply in other countries exactly?  England (Oxford) has made great strides and many other countries are developing their own at the same rate.  How is that political?  They are doing the trials/studies at a faster pace, but they're still doing them ALL.  People need to quit letting the fear mongering and biases in the media turn their heads.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

Yes, but there is still uncertainty whether having the virus will grant permanent immunity.  It may only last ~6 months.  Also, some indications in German studies of cardiac impact (mainly inflammation) in up to 80% of total people who recovered from Covid (including those under 50).  People need to be very careful with this.  My son's 22, I don't want him being cavalier thinking he'll shrug it off and potentially damage his heart for life in the process. 

And the flu vaccine lasts no more than a year, so we get the vaccine every year.  Why should this be any different?    Where'd you come up with ~6 months?  At this point they know it lasts at least 3 and that will change the longer the vaccines are tested.  And, the heart inflammation you're talking about, from what cardiologists have said is not usually permanent.  It's not unusual with some infections.  The study that was done was done on 100 people aged 45-53, which is prime heart disease age,  and is very, very small group.  People need to be careful searching so hard for problems.   Flu can cause heart issues also, as can many other infections.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BND said:

Every time someone says the "political" part I laugh.    People need to quit letting the fear mongering and biases in the media turn their heads.  

Every time someone mentions "fear mongering" and media bias I laugh!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Airbear232 said:

It's the media's job to keep us afraid, now that the numbers are dwindling they're doing their best to keep the fear and hysteria going. A good friend of mine in his late fifties was in the hospital for almost 60 days and hooked up to a ventilator for almost half that. He's been out for almost 2 months now and came golfing with us last Friday......no lasting effects so far. He did have a heart attack a few years ago and was on blood thinners among other things......

Was on CTV news.....quite the feel good story. 

I agree that people need to be careful but life must go on and it must go on soon....while protecting our vulnerable that is.... ie people over 80 mostly. 

• Like 3

I really just don't think anyone needs to be berated or bullied for not wanting to get a vaccine the day it comes to market - besides the point that a vast majority aren't going to be able to get it for some time after it comes to market anyway. 

I personally, am not very concerned about covid. I wear a mask, I socially distancing, I pretty much only go places where everyone is wearing a mask, I don't go to bars or anywhere where people are crowding together without masks - so I think my chances of catching it are low. On top of that, I rarely get sick, like once in the last five years. Young, health, exercise daily, etc. So if I did catch it I am comfortable that I have an excellent chance of fighting it off. Don't pull the BS about "who I could infect". I live with my husband only, and his job creates a much more substantial chance of infection than catching it from me. I don't have anyone in my life who would be "high risk" and I wear a mask outside so not spreading it everywhere I go. 

Will I ever get the COVID vaccine. Probably. Am I inclined to stand in line to be the first one. Not really, I'm comfortable with letting people who are more concerned about and have a higher risk of a bad reaction to covid get it first. When it's as easy to get as a flu shot I'm sure I'll end up getting it at some point. Do I think this will create extra time for adverse effects to become known? sure. What's wrong with that?

Edited by sanger727

On 7/22/2020 at 10:01 AM, teacherman said:

I believe we will be able to get the vaccine at the terminal before we board and, of course, we will charge it to our SeaPass card.  😇😎

Normally, it takes time for a vaccine to become fully effective (or even partially effective).  The Flu vaccine takes 2 weeks.  It seems highly likely that getting the vaccine at the terminal will not afford any protection.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Wasn't on her Superbowl week and I definitely didn't have the flu. Our toddler and infant both ran fevers on board for 2 days and the infant had vomiting one night but both recovered fine on board. On the last day I developed a dry cough and thought nothing of it. During the week we got back I still had my cough and I couldn't drink my favourite coffee for a few days as it didn't taste right (nothing tasted right). I had no other symptoms.  During the same week my wife started running a fever with a cough and had it for a week before it broke. My parents in their late 60's and early 70's also started running a fever with cough and their Dr gave them Tamiflu which did absolutely nothing. It took 2 weeks for their fevers to break and their coughs to go away. Luckily both my parents are a healthy weight and exercise regularly and have no other conditions. 

We still laugh at how on our flight home everyone on the flight was hacking up a lung and how when we got home it was a completely different landscape (Pandemic Mode) to when we left.....in Canada anyway. 

That is a wild story!!! 

Sort of similar but we were in Las Vegas SB weekend for a golf trip - half my group developed a mild cough or fever.  But, we all tested negative for antibodies in late April.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheMastodon said:

That is a wild story!!! 

Sort of similar but we were in Las Vegas SB weekend for a golf trip - half my group developed a mild cough or fever.  But, we all tested negative for antibodies in late April.  

I think those antibody tests are hit and miss but I'm not sure. I know that the one and only person who I know that has had Covid positively and spent almost 60 days in ICU with almost half of that on a ventilator tested negative on his first few tests. 

Can't wait to go back to Vegas. Was there for the first time 2 years ago and we plan on going back 2021 if all goes well to do some more......more of everything hahaha. And golf.....gotta get some rounds in. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BND said:

And the flu vaccine lasts no more than a year, so we get the vaccine every year.  Why should this be any different?    Where'd you come up with ~6 months?  At this point they know it lasts at least 3 and that will change the longer the vaccines are tested.  And, the heart inflammation you're talking about, from what cardiologists have said is not usually permanent.  It's not unusual with some infections.  The study that was done was done on 100 people aged 45-53, which is prime heart disease age,  and is very, very small group.  People need to be careful searching so hard for problems.   Flu can cause heart issues also, as can many other infections.  

The point about temporary immunity is in regards to previous poster stating that most will shrug it off and move on.  If you have it once, doesn't mean you won't contract again.  Given that, at present, there is no vaccine, many of the 5+ million Americans are potentially open to a relapse in the late fall or winter.  In terms of the inflammation, there is no conclusive data yet on whether it is temporary or long term.  Point being, better to be on the cautious side than believe because some one is in a younger age bracket that there are no risks.

No!  
The mad dash to rush this vaccine out to market is not safe!  I will only submit to the vaccine after it is proven to be safe and reliable.....not interested in being a Guinea Pig!

Getting the vaccine before it’s proven effective is like jumping into a floating Petri dish on the ocean!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Airbear232 said:

No lasting effects here...  well, except for a renewed appreciation for life!  The media tries to make it out to be exotic, but it was very, very similar to the flu.

Edited by Castaway Cowgirl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Castaway Cowgirl said:

No lasting effects here...  well, except for a renewed appreciation for life!  The media tries to make it out to be exotic, but it was very, very similar to the flu.

The families of 172,000 Americans would beg to differ!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, taznremmy said:

@yogimax  I saw that figure today in the newspaper (170,294 as of 8/16/20).  So sad that everyone doesn't understand that it affects different people, different ways.  We need to all pull together for the good of humanity. 

Well said!

• Thanks 1