If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It???

If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It???  

1,014 members have voted

1. 1. If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It So You Can Cruise Again?

• YES
    • NO

2 hours ago, rockmom said:

There's a whole new 'hot' thread about the Pfizer vaccine.  Bring popcorn.  

That's mainly because some can't stand to think that a viable vaccine is going to be available soon.  It hurts their head so much they hope it isn't true.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/5/2020 at 5:51 PM, mek said:

Thanks for the clarification.

If you are younger and healthier, it will be a while before you qualify for a vaccine in Ohio (which basically follows the CDC guidelines for distribution). 

https://beta.documentcloud.org/documents/20397844-ohio-covid-19-vaccination-draft-plan_final-draft-1

10 hours ago, travelhound said:

I think everyone will be required to provide proof of vaccination or take a Covid test to get on a ship.  

Two completely different things. You can take a test and be negative, but start spreading the virus the next hour or any time in the next week or two (14 day incubation). Requirement to prove vaccination with limited supplies would be to restrictive to the cruise industry. And, there is still a 10% or more chance that the vaccine failed on you.... and that you could be spreading the virus during your cruise. 

Yes, we could all start wearing the bracelets from Contagion. 

34 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Two completely different things. You can take a test and be negative, but start spreading the virus the next hour or any time in the next week or two (14 day incubation). Requirement to prove vaccination with limited supplies would be to restrictive to the cruise industry. And, there is still a 10% or more chance that the vaccine failed on you.... and that you could be spreading the virus during your cruise. 

Yes, we could all start wearing the bracelets from Contagion. 

Testing or requiring vaccination to get on a ship will not be perfect, but it will still be significantly better than most hotels.

18 minutes ago, docruth said:

If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It So You Can Cruise Again?

Yes, if my cruise fare includes disability insurance that covers ALL vaccine side-effects. Quick guess, it won’t.

Why should it?   Royal won't be giving the vaccine or liable for them.

55 minutes ago, BND said:

Why should it?   Royal won't be giving the vaccine or liable for them.

Hmmm ... so if I follow the logic. The cruise lines can require a medical procedure (inoculation) and not be financially responsible for any adverse health effects. Since they’re not an administrative government entity, like border control, the public health service, a school system, or any court of jurisdiction, you might be right, because they could simply say, as they always have, you agreed to it in the cruise contract.

The question though, as originally posted was: If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It So You Can Cruise Again? My unfortunately snarky response was based upon the fact that there was nearly always a perception that all vaccines are safe and effective. They are, as a scientist I can state that as a scientific fact on a statistical basis.

However, there is always a percentage of the population(s) that are affected by significant and serious side-effects, some life-long in nature. In just a few months (years), there’s no time to conduct individual, double-blind, placebo controlled trials on candidates for each population that would be cruisers (e.g. toddlers, tweens, adolescents ... grays, chronically ill, etc.). My own particular situation dictates that I won’t take it, I’m certain many others may feel likewise.

So, I apologize for my delivery, not the content. I hearby revise my response to: No, I cannot cruise.

Doc Ruth  

P.S. I do not support the anti-vaxer movement in any way, comments here are specific to this topic.

2 hours ago, travelhound said:

Testing or requiring vaccination to get on a ship will not be perfect, but it will still be significantly better than most hotels.

We have traveled continually throughout the pandemic and have never been asked to test to check-in to a hotel. Or fly on a plane. 

5 hours ago, docruth said:

Hmmm ... so if I follow the logic. The cruise lines can require a medical procedure (inoculation) and not be financially responsible for any adverse health effects.

Yes.  They are not resonsible from who you get your vaccine from or how it is administered or if you were someone who for medical reasons should not get a vaccine.   Its a bit like insisting that you have ID and you choose to get a small child to draw a picture of you and put your name on it.

On 9/11/2020 at 6:15 PM, John&LaLa said:

I believe they are using what they learned in the last 18 years fighting SARS and MERS to accelerate the timeline. So a shorter timeline is not as big a stretch as some would lead you to believe. Not like they are starting from scratch

The Pfizer vaccine has been developed using RNA technology. No other coronavirus has been so virulent, widespread and deadly as the coronavirus which causes Covid-19. These are the reasons why it was imperative to create a vaccine for this specific coronavirus and this is a global effort.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2020 at 7:40 PM, boscobeans said:

Medical progress over the last 18 years has made almost as many advances as computers, cell phones, televisions  and hundreds of other things we use and enjoy every day... 

Not saying a  vaccine would be a walk in the park but definitely a whole lot easier and faster than even 5 or 10 years ago...

It's called technology advancement.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2020 at 4:31 AM, sgmn said:

News outlets in UK are reporting a small chance of Oxford vaccine available by year end and GPs and NHS are gearing up,  but more likely the vaccination programme will start in the new year.  Key workers and over 85s to be targeted first

There has been some talk that younger people in the under 50s groups may not be able to get it AT ALL. So if the vaccine is needed to enter the USA and I suspect it will be that stance could create serious problems.

10 hours ago, docruth said:

If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It So You Can Cruise Again?

Yes, if my cruise fare includes disability insurance that covers ALL vaccine side-effects. Quick guess, it won’t.

If countries require it for entry and some likely will. For example Australia and you are looking at I don't know Ovation of the Seas Singapore to Australia with Sydney Stay. In that case is the decision not defacto taken out of Royal's hands?

9 hours ago, docruth said:

Hmmm ... so if I follow the logic. The cruise lines can require a medical procedure (inoculation) and not be financially responsible for any adverse health effects. Since they’re not an administrative government entity, like border control, the public health service, a school system, or any court of jurisdiction, you might be right, because they could simply say, as they always have, you agreed to it in the cruise contract.

The question though, as originally posted was: If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It So You Can Cruise Again? My unfortunately snarky response was based upon the fact that there was nearly always a perception that all vaccines are safe and effective. They are, as a scientist I can state that as a scientific fact on a statistical basis.

However, there is always a percentage of the population(s) that are affected by significant and serious side-effects, some life-long in nature. In just a few months (years), there’s no time to conduct individual, double-blind, placebo controlled trials on candidates for each population that would be cruisers (e.g. toddlers, tweens, adolescents ... grays, chronically ill, etc.). My own particular situation dictates that I won’t take it, I’m certain many others may feel likewise.

So, I apologize for my delivery, not the content. I hearby revise my response to: No, I cannot cruise.

Doc Ruth  

P.S. I do not support the anti-vaxer movement in any way, comments here are specific to this topic.

They can't be liable for something they didn't actually do.  Businesses require all kinds of things and can deny you service if you don't follow them.  If a business says you can't come in because you haven't had your shot, it's your choice as to whether you get the shot or you don't do business there.  

And, the reality is, they will require it because most countries, if not all will.  That does not make RCI liable in any way, so yes they can require it, but it's still a choice.

Edited by BND
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

There has been some talk that younger people in the under 50s groups may not be able to get it AT ALL. So if the vaccine is needed to enter the USA and I suspect it will be that stance could create serious problems.

In the US, right now it appears there will be enough vaccine for everyone who wants to get it, but it will roll out with front line workers first in line and others to follow based on health and age.  The US was very proactive in purchasing a lot of the developing vaccine.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, BND said:

In the US, right now it appears there will be enough vaccine for everyone who wants to get it, but it will roll out with front line workers first in line and others to follow based on health and age.  The US was very proactive in purchasing a lot of the developing vaccine.  

In UK younger people might not get it period end of story. Even privately perhaps.

On 9/13/2020 at 10:16 PM, garywatson said:

Oh man the Shingrix shots were 100x more horrible than my experience with the covid vaccine candidate.  I think I might have preferred getting actual shingles.

I experienced a sore arm at the injection site from the Shingrix vaccine. That's it.

Edited by coffeebean

From what I read on the points guy, the US is the one of the countries that does not require travelers to provide proof of a negative pcr test before entering.   

Once vaccines are widely available around the world,  I expect other countries and possibly some of the caribbean islands to require proof of vaccine.   

Cruisers that want to visit various ports across the world may need to show proof before entry.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

We have traveled continually throughout the pandemic and have never been asked to test to check-in to a hotel. Or fly on a plane. 

That doesn't mean that you were not at a greater risk.  That said, I am not a big fan of mandatory testing.  I do believe that vaccinations will help get us closer to the day that testing will not be necessary.

23 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

From what I read on the points guy, the US is the one of the countries that does not require travelers to provide proof of a negative pcr test before entering.   

Once vaccines are widely available around the world,  I expect other countries and possibly some of the caribbean islands to require proof of vaccine.   

Cruisers that want to visit various ports across the world may need to show proof before entry.

Good point, testing is not a realistic long-term solution.  The vaccine is the only way out of this crisis.

1 hour ago, coffeebean said:

I experienced a sore arm at the injection site from the Shingrix vaccine. That's it.

I had the Shingrix vaccine yesterday.  I also have a sore arm at the injection site (about the size of my fist) that wasn’t bad enough to wake me when I rolled onto that area during the night.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BND said:

Yup, there is finally light at the end of this tunnel 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ace2542 said:

In UK younger people might not get it period end of story. Even privately perhaps.

I also read where no one under 18 will be "allowed" to get it in the UK.  They are doing testing on under 18 currently so, not sure why the UK is going that route.  I won't get too much into the NHS and some of the things I've read on discussion boards in the last couple of years.  Let's just say, my gall bladder removal wasn't an emergency but I was able to get scheduled quickly (less than one month from ultrasound to surgery and only that long because I didn't go right in to see the surgeon).  8 days from seeing the surgeon to surgery.  I saw many, many stories from people in the UK who had to wait on the NHS for up to 18 months for gall bladder removal.  Private was quicker.  So, how many in the UK will travel somewhere to get the shot where it is available, maybe even flying to the US?