The Daily for Friday Jul 24, 2020

richwmn

Good morning to all.  Thanks for the positivity for this day.  Prayers for those in need.  

I also think of this day as Pioneer Day!”  I was raised in Utah, and as kids we always had to save 1/2 of our 4th of July “fireworks (sparklers) for the 24th.  Fun memories of being a kid.

I was very heartened this morning when everyone in grocery store had on a mask.  Maybe by the time this over, people will learn what the arrows in the aisles mean.  After many years of using military commissaries I understand one way aisles.

Enough of that—have a beautiful day.  Tomorrow starts the weekend!

• Like 5

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile. 🙂 

I’m late to the party.  I started this post in the hospital parking lot and then the phone rang and DH was ready to be picked up.  (Cataract surgery).  Looks like this isn’t my week.  As soon as I got home I had to call and go to the dentist for an emergency exam 😞. Follow up appointment in a couple of weeks.  

Amelia Earhart has always been someone I have admired.  I’ll happily celebrate cousins day as we were all very close growing up (and still are).  I’ll pass on the tequila as @Seasick Sailor meme is very appropriate.

I really like the quote today too as my Mum was a teacher and I appreciate the value they add to our children’s lives.  Chicken is a strong possibility tonight.  I’m stewing some for the dogs and will have left over that I might bbq.  Might even do tenders, not sure.

Can’t get the wine here, sadly.  @Seasick Sailor I’ve had some of the wines when we have been in Europe and the U.S.  We can’t get a lot of them here and the ones we can get are a lot more expensive than where we have had them.   As to your plants, if you can find a cloudy day (or even rainy day), you can plant now.  You’ll need to water though.  Otherwise I’d do in the fall.  Transplants take well in the spring and fall.

We had a T-STorm & hail warning so I quickly snapped some pics.  Of course, we ended up with nothing.  

Some daylilies for you all:

E13CCAF9-65E3-442C-B267-2B6B3CED86D2.thumb.jpeg.76bde63bcdc7e84a3c075af128f85566.jpeg

My pink astilbe has started to bloom.  I think it’s a tad late this year, but it’s a younger one.

84AB87BA-EC1B-4D60-9533-5222DA1B6E2A.thumb.jpeg.3ea0435a7451f1f4a69a52b5cb4546e8.jpeg

For those who are fighting the deer, this is the Lady’s Mantle.  (With the green flowers).

This is in an open area in my front yard and as you can see it’s blooming away and the deer haven’t touched it.  They haven’t ever.  Sadly my flowers are more limited where there is no fencing.  DH says only two things work with deer (especially ours) - a gun or a fence.  We opted for the fence.  (They aren’t even nervous about the dogs).

22B36902-E6ED-413A-9452-417F68473428.thumb.jpeg.e3b8f3a38cf34ed6e71ea5b17fe4ff1b.jpeg

This is a very small liatris.  Completely deer proof.  It’s a transplant that went into the retaining wall.  And gets quite pretty for a reasonable length of time.  This one is just starting to come out.

95985C00-829A-4CEB-ABD6-8286BF4120CE.thumb.jpeg.9cecf1256c50231d2e3efc6e9e8f860c.jpeg

In my lamp post garden, I have a ton of them.  The deer take a little nibble at the beginning of spring which doesn’t seem to hurt the plant, spit them out and then never touch them.

Can you see the two yellow arrows?  Those are all liatris and I will post a pic when they are in full bloom.  

31C83208-6097-4958-9CF2-0B4FBAAC2325.thumb.jpeg.046d7cfc741845d5ed6cfd4c5489d8df.jpeg

We have serious issues with deer here so I have lived and learned.

Dogs are great.  The meds were fast acting and I arranged for their dog walking friend (who hasn’t been here much because of covid) to come and care for them while I was waiting for Jose at the hospital.  Very good reports.

Their new batch of rice is on the stove.  Chicken is cooked 😉 

Best wishes to everyone on our care list.  Stay safe and healthy

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, kazu said:

31C83208-6097-4958-9CF2-0B4FBAAC2325.thumb.jpeg.046d7cfc741845d5ed6cfd4c5489d8df.jpeg

Jacqui what is the conical tree? An evergreen? I asked Claudio to look for a holly called Oakland. It looks conical like your tree.

I saw some Dipladenia (A Carnival of Blooms) and added a few of those to our list. 

We are supposed to get a thunderstorm tomorrow so the guys are going to try to get everything done today. It's noon and they aren't here, so looks like a long afternoon for them. Luckily they have some snacks. I got shrimp cocktails, fresh veggie platters, fruit, ice cream, iced tea and cerveza.. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Jacqui what is the conical tree? An evergreen? I asked Claudio to look for a holly called Oakland. It looks conical like your tree.

Yes, it’s just an evergreen.  I shouldn’t say just as it does add some contrast here in the winter with our dull snowy days.

YAY on the Diplandia.  I really like those flowers.  Sadly, we don’t have the weather for them outside all year.  

• Like 2

Wow so much going on, prayers for all who need them.  Kazu, hope things go better for you and DH.  We have some more pretty blossoms and thunderstorms and tornado warnings! 

A40AE70B-770E-4534-ADF0-3997533A2BDF.jpeg

79597B61-EF5D-4AE3-9A9D-7D84D1E70B69.jpeg

3803194E-61A8-455D-A681-94122634BF6A.jpeg

022FA6B7-6935-4CC7-A39C-C2BFC2F703F5.jpeg

B77A86D3-ED1F-4386-896D-4DEFF15E0943.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 8

3 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Wow so much going on, prayers for all who need them.  Kazu, hope things go better for you and DH.  We have some more pretty blossoms and thunderstorms and tornado warnings! 

Oh pretty, Benny 🙂 

Love the colours 😄 

Hope the tornado and hail warnings are for naught.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cruzn single said:

I was very heartened this morning when everyone in grocery store had on a mask.  Maybe by the time this over, people will learn what the arrows in the aisles mean.  After many years of using military commissaries I understand one way aisles.

I think the arrows are hopeless.  I've seen people go the wrong way up one aisle and then the wrong way down the other.  In Maryland I rarely see people indoors without masks.  They've been required by the state in most retail for over 3 months now and by owners nearly everywhere else.

We are starting to have problems with indoor dining and bars.  Several counties have closed it down now but they won't make it statewide.  Especially a problem with the younger crow.

Roy

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile. 🙂 

I’m late to the party.  I started this post in the hospital parking lot and then the phone rang and DH was ready to be picked up.  (Cataract surgery).  Looks like this isn’t my week.  As soon as I got home I had to call and go to the dentist for an emergency exam 😞. Follow up appointment in a couple of weeks.  

Amelia Earhart has always been someone I have admired.  I’ll happily celebrate cousins day as we were all very close growing up (and still are).  I’ll pass on the tequila as @Seasick Sailor meme is very appropriate.

I really like the quote today too as my Mum was a teacher and I appreciate the value they add to our children’s lives.  Chicken is a strong possibility tonight.  I’m stewing some for the dogs and will have left over that I might bbq.  Might even do tenders, not sure.

Can’t get the wine here, sadly.  @Seasick Sailor I’ve had some of the wines when we have been in Europe and the U.S.  We can’t get a lot of them here and the ones we can get are a lot more expensive than where we have had them.   As to your plants, if you can find a cloudy day (or even rainy day), you can plant now.  You’ll need to water though.  Otherwise I’d do in the fall.  Transplants take well in the spring and fall.

We had a T-STorm & hail warning so I quickly snapped some pics.  Of course, we ended up with nothing.  

Some daylilies for you all:

E13CCAF9-65E3-442C-B267-2B6B3CED86D2.thumb.jpeg.76bde63bcdc7e84a3c075af128f85566.jpeg

My pink astilbe has started to bloom.  I think it’s a tad late this year, but it’s a younger one.

84AB87BA-EC1B-4D60-9533-5222DA1B6E2A.thumb.jpeg.3ea0435a7451f1f4a69a52b5cb4546e8.jpeg

For those who are fighting the deer, this is the Lady’s Mantle.  (With the green flowers).

This is in an open area in my front yard and as you can see it’s blooming away and the deer haven’t touched it.  They haven’t ever.  Sadly my flowers are more limited where there is no fencing.  DH says only two things work with deer (especially ours) - a gun or a fence.  We opted for the fence.  (They aren’t even nervous about the dogs).

22B36902-E6ED-413A-9452-417F68473428.thumb.jpeg.e3b8f3a38cf34ed6e71ea5b17fe4ff1b.jpeg

This is a very small liatris.  Completely deer proof.  It’s a transplant that went into the retaining wall.  And gets quite pretty for a reasonable length of time.  This one is just starting to come out.

95985C00-829A-4CEB-ABD6-8286BF4120CE.thumb.jpeg.9cecf1256c50231d2e3efc6e9e8f860c.jpeg

In my lamp post garden, I have a ton of them.  The deer take a little nibble at the beginning of spring which doesn’t seem to hurt the plant, spit them out and then never touch them.

Can you see the two yellow arrows?  Those are all liatris and I will post a pic when they are in full bloom.  

We have serious issues with deer here so I have lived and learned.

Dogs are great.  The meds were fast acting and I arranged for their dog walking friend (who hasn’t been here much because of covid) to come and care for them while I was waiting for Jose at the hospital.  Very good reports.

Their new batch of rice is on the stove.  Chicken is cooked 😉 

Best wishes to everyone on our care list.  Stay safe and healthy

Jacqui! Your photos are gorgeous!! What a green thumb you have!! Everything is so beautiful!! My heart goes out to you and Jose! When it rains it pours. I am so happy Jose’s surgery went well! Now healing begins!

I am sorry about your dental emergency too! Whether it is a crown fractured, abscess, TMJ concerns it is so discomforting. I am glad you were able to get it taken care of quickly!

Have a great day.

Denise😊

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Jacqui! Your photos are gorgeous!! What a green thumb you have!! Everything is so beautiful!! My heart goes out to you and Jose! When it rains it pours. I am so happy Jose’s surgery went well! Now healing begins!

I am sorry about your dental emergency too! Whether it is a crown fractured, abscess, TMJ concerns it is so discomforting. I am glad you were able to get it taken care of quickly!

Have a great day.

Denise😊

Thanks Denise.

I don’t think I have a green thumb but Jose disagrees 😉 

I did a big uggh on my dental emergency.  Had just gotten home from Jose’s surgery and it seemed like my crown was loose which sadly, is attached to my bridge 😞   It is what it is and when I go back it will be what it will be.  

My dentist is very good and they have a family firm with lots of support and when I told them my fears I was in within one hour to be examined and take preliminary steps.

The last 3 days have been sheer bedlam and covid doesn’t help as it makes things harder and more time consuming.

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, kazu said:

Thanks Denise.

I did a big uggh on my dental emergency.  Had just gotten home from Jose’s surgery and it seemed like my crown was loose which sadly, is attached to my bridge 😞   It is what it is and when I go back it will be what it will be.  

My dentist is very good and they have a family firm with lots of support and when I told them my fears I was in within one hour to be examined and take preliminary steps.

The last 3 days have been sheer bedlam and covid doesn’t help as it makes things harder and more time consuming.

Jacqui, hang in there!! They hopefully were able to do a temporary cement if they were able to get the other crown which holds 3 unit bridge loose. Don’t know the reason why it came loose but hopefully either they will be able to restore the old bridge with new cement if both crowns which were prepped have no existing decay present or there was No  leakage. Or a new bridge. I hope the best for you Jacqui!

Sincerely,

Denise😊

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Have a great day.

Denise😊

Denise, my adorable little sister dentist.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Jacqui, hang in there!! They hopefully were able to do a temporary cement if they were able to get the other crown which holds 3 unit bridge loose. Don’t know the reason why it came loose but hopefully either they will be able to restore the old bridge with new cement if both crowns which were prepped have no existing decay present or there was No  leakage. Or a new bridge. I hope the best for you Jacqui!

Sincerely,

Denise😊

Jacqui, I believe my little sister Denise will not charge you a consultation fee. You're family!! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Thank you for the daily Rich!

I have so many cousins on my mother's side of the family I don't even know them all.  She was one of 13 children and those children had lots of kids.  Most live in Colorado.  I don't like Tequila, I usually stick with wine and an occasional Vodka type drink on vacation.  Chicken isn't a fav of mine but tenders are my most favorite part of the chicken although not having that tonight. 

Great news....  SIL is doing better, very weak but improving daily.  So far her husband, the BIL, doesn't have any major symptoms of Covid even though tested positive.  I feel so bad for them though, they were planning on moving into a new home and that has had to be delayed a bit.  Thank you everyone for keeping them in your prayers and thoughts.

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 7

Awesome news, Sharon.  Getting back to the purported purpose of this thread the co-flagships are sitting at the entry to the Suez Canal, apparently waiting for the next convoy to start.  They won't be sailing under the HAL flag much longer.

Should start the transit in about 7 hours.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bennybear said:

Lovely! And awesome!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Thanks Denise.

You have had more than your share of issues. Hope you are over the worst.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Thank you for the daily Rich!

I have so many cousins on my mother's side of the family I don't even know them all.  She was one of 13 children and those children had lots of kids.  Most live in Colorado.  I don't like Tequila, I usually stick with wine and an occasional Vodka type drink on vacation.  Chicken isn't a fav of mine but tenders are my most favorite part of the chicken although not having that tonight. 

Great news....  SIL is doing better, very weak but improving daily.  So far her husband, the BIL, doesn't have any major symptoms of Covid even though tested positive.  I feel so bad for them though, they were planning on moving into a new home and that has had to be delayed a bit.  Thank you everyone for keeping them in your prayers and thoughts.

Have a great day everyone!

Sharon, great news about your SIL.  Has enough time expired for your BIL to show symptoms? Hope the worst is over for them. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Jacqui, hang in there!! They hopefully were able to do a temporary cement if they were able to get the other crown which holds 3 unit bridge loose. 

Nope, they can’t do that.  It’s Friday and most of the labs are closing. To remove the crown they have to remove the bridge and the good crown.  So we did impressions (in case) and x-rays.  When I go back they will try to remove without damaging and if all goes well, I’m done in 1/2 an hour.  If it doesn’t, I’m screwed and will be there for at least two hours and probably have to pay for a new bridge 😞. Mine is only 3 years old if that.

The other crown is secure so they will have to be careful when they remove the two and the bridge.

47 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Jacqui, I believe my little sister Denise will not charge you a consultation fee. You're family!! 

LOL - I need all the help I can get 😉 

35 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

That is really good news to hear, indeed 🙂 

28 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Getting back to the purported purpose of this thread the co-flagships are sitting at the entry to the Suez Canal, apparently waiting for the next convoy to start.  They won't be sailing under the HAL flag much longer.

Should start the transit in about 7 hours.

Roy

That is really sad, Roy.  I’m going to really miss the Rotterdam.  Her crew was phenomenal - next best to P’dam on my sailings.  And I loved her artwork.

14 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

You have had more than your share of issues. Hope you are over the worst.

Thanks, me too.  My tolerance is getting low 😉. Wine time may come early today.  LOL.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1