Hotels in Rome

Minniepnp

42 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

There are a couple Mariott properties with maybe 5 walking minutes of each other up in the Via Veneto/Barberini area: The W, the Westin Excelsior, Mariott Grand Flora and the St. Regis.  I stayed at the Westin on employee benefit.  Across the street from the US Embassy, so it gets a lot of business from there and a few cruise lines use it as their pre-cruise hotel.  It's a classic old hotel.   I haven't stayed at the others, just stopped in at the St. Regis to add another Bloody Mary to my list (each St Regis around the world does it own special take on the Bloody Mary).  Like cruisemom said,  it's maybe a 30 minute walk downhill to the Pantheon area.  There is  Metro stop at Piazza Barberini and one the top of the hill.  I always walked - Via Ludovisi to the Spanish Steps and down.  

Thanks.  No rush for me as we just booked cruises for 2024.

Not a Marriott property, but we just stayed at Hotel delle Nazaoni for 8 days prior to our cruise. Great location, Trevi Fountain is just around the corner. The hotel has a good buffet breakfast (free) to start your day. We were able to make arrangements with the hotel to pick us up from the airport for €65. 

On our next trip to Rome we would definitely consider staying here again. 

We stayed at Albergo del Senato for our 4 nights in Rome before our Mediterranean cruise in October. Thanks for pointing us in that direction! We loved this hotel. Our window overlooked the Pantheon and plaza. We weren't bothered by noise at all. Once the window and shutters were closed, we didn't hear anything. The breakfast was terrific every morning. And the roof top bar excellent. All of the staff were friendly and helpful.

Had a lovely visit in Rome. It is a fabulous city. 

• Like 2

A question:  what hotel in Rome has HAL been using recently?

I’ve stayed at Alberto del Senato. They pulled the bait & switch on me.  I spent my first 24 hours there trying to get what I paid for.  Now, it has location, a nice breakfast, but all rooms are not equal. 

I also stayed at Hotel Forum. Our room had a wonderful view however, we were right under the restaurant and heard chairs, carts noise at all hours. We asked to move and we’re offered a tiny- think closet size room with view of brick wall- we declined and spent 5 sleepless nights in the room with the view.

1 hour ago, dog said:

I’ve stayed at Alberto del Senato. They pulled the bait & switch on me.  I spent my first 24 hours there trying to get what I paid for.  Now, it has location, a nice breakfast, but all rooms are not equal. 

I also stayed at Hotel Forum. Our room had a wonderful view however, we were right under the restaurant and heard chairs, carts noise at all hours. We asked to move and we’re offered a tiny- think closet size room with view of brick wall- we declined and spent 5 sleepless nights in the room with the view.

Just out of curiosity, did you book the rooms at Albergo del Senato and the Hotel Forum directly with them, or with an online agency?  I've often heard (and experienced once) that those booking direct with the hotel tend to have fewer issues with the room(s) assigned.  It may just be one of those "urban myths" but it would be interesting to know...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2022 at 3:12 PM, IndyCapt said:

We were very satisfied with Hotel Navona. The central location was perfect for walking wherever we wanted to go. It’s just around the corner from the Pantheon. We had a top floor corner room with a small balcony on each side. Room was small but it served our needs. Our nightly rate included a hot breakfast buffet which was very good. If you’re looking for a authentic Italian, boutique hotel, I think it fits the bill. We would stay there again. 

Thanks so much!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2022 at 5:39 PM, dog said:

That's kind of how all "older" independent hotels are in most of Europe.  You have to book with a chain to get "equal" rooms.   

Did HAL book you into those?  From what I remember, they were using the Savoy and sometimes the Westin.  

I’m looking for a hotel in a central location with an on-site restaurant and a concierge who can book tours and airport & cruise port transfers. A buffet breakfast would be a plus. Am hoping to find something for $200/night based on a 4-night stay. All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

49 minutes ago, Orlando Vic said:
I’m looking for a hotel in a central location with an on-site restaurant and a concierge who can book tours and airport & cruise port transfers. A buffet breakfast would be a plus. Am hoping to find something for $200/night based on a 4-night stay. All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

To assist CC, could one kindly indicate dates, as seasonality prices vary.

13 hours ago, Orlando Vic said:

When we started researching for a nice hotel to stay in October, we discovered rates for the fall months were high. After much searching, we selected The Sentho, a new boutique hotel in the Monti district, not far from many sights.  https://sentho.it/servizi/.  They have rates that are both with and without breakfast (buffet).  I have communicated with their staff several times and they are both extremely responsive and friendly.  Rates for your dates for a Superior Room (26 square meter) are around $1185 (no breakfast) and $1300 (with breakfast). Their reviews are excellent.(responsive staff, new, clean, large bedrooms and bath, good breakfast, well stocked guest rooms).  Our last visit we stayed at the W, using our Marriott points but their rates are over the top now. 

20 hours ago, Orlando Vic said:

We like to stay in an area loosely defined by The Pantheon and Piazza Navona.  Two hotels meeting your requirements during your stay are Hotel Smeraldo and Hotel Ponte Sisto.  Although both are listed on various hotel booking sites, I suggest you check their own websites for best pricing.

Rather than leave transfers up to your hotel, I suggest you book them yourself.  There are other good ones, but we always use RomeCabs.  Their pricing is usually better than what your hotel will offer and having direct contact with your provider in the event of a flight delay is a plus.

This past September our flight from EWR to FCO was delayed by three hours.  I notified RomeCabs and they adjusted their schedule to accommodate our late arrival.  I don't know how it would have worked out if I were working through a middleman, the hotel, for our airport transfer.

4 hours ago, -Lew- said:

We like to stay in an area loosely defined by The Pantheon and Piazza Navona.  Two hotels meeting your requirements during your stay are Hotel Smeraldo and Hotel Ponte Sisto.  Although both are listed on various hotel booking sites, I suggest you check their own websites for best pricing.

Rather than leave transfers up to your hotel, I suggest you book them yourself.  There are other good ones, but we always use RomeCabs.  Their pricing is usually better than what your hotel will offer and having direct contact with your provider in the event of a flight delay is a plus.

This past September our flight from EWR to FCO was delayed by three hours.  I notified RomeCabs and they adjusted their schedule to accommodate our late arrival.  I don't know how it would have worked out if I were working through a middleman, the hotel, for our airport transfer.

Great advice, Lew! Thank you for telling me about Hotel Smeraldo. That place looks very promising.

2 hours ago, Orlando Vic said:

Great advice, Lew! Thank you for telling me about Hotel Smeraldo. That place looks very promising.

You're very welcome.  We're staying at Hotel Smeraldo for the first time for five nights in October.

2 hours ago, -Lew- said:

You're very welcome.  We're staying at Hotel Smeraldo for the first time for five nights in October.

We stayed at Hotel Smeraldo this October for 3 nights. Great hotel and location. Walked to all the sights! 

Edited by vkb2751
  • Like 1

On 11/20/2022 at 10:40 AM, cruisemom42 said:

The location's not fantastic, but it's not terrible either.  It's about a 25-30 minute walk to the Pantheon (my "ground zero" in central Rome). Not too far from Barberini where there are some good restaurants for dinner, including one of my favorites, Colline Emiliane.

Looking for a hotel for 3 night pre cruise and 2 nights post in Rome. I’ve narrowed it based on reading through posts here to either the Alberto de Senato or the Iconic Pantheon. Cruise mom, I’d love to hear your thoughts on 1 vs the other or any other recommendations. 

Thank you everyone for amazing suggestions!

I have switched from my original reservation at Hotel Artemide to Albergo del Senato. $200 less for better location!

Question, has anyone stayed in Junior Suite in Albergo del Senato? I am wondering what view of "roman rooftops" from the small balcony actually mean?

Also, I like the idea of private transfer from airport, but I would actually like taking the train to Civitavecchia I think. Being from Eastern Europe, I miss train travel :). From Albergo del Senato I assume we will need to take a cab to the train station to catch the train to Civitavecchia? Or should I just scrap the train ride idea?

• Like 1

We stay at the junior suite. Great view of the square and Pantheon. Here isthe view. Lots more pictures on the hotel's website.  

Take a car transfer to Civi. Yes, you would need to take a taxi to the station and then another taxi or bus to the port.  Save your train travel for a more convenient location.

20220601_103153.jpg

20220601_103144.jpg

Edited by marazul
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, lori-annk said:

Looking for a hotel for 3 night pre cruise and 2 nights post in Rome. I’ve narrowed it based on reading through posts here to either the Alberto de Senato or the Iconic Pantheon. Cruise mom, I’d love to hear your thoughts on 1 vs the other or any other recommendations. 

Either hotel would be a good choice IMO. Both are located in the same vicinity. It comes down to small details. The Albergo del Senato is a three star hotel and its charm for me lies in the fact that it is a "one off" hotel with a very traditional, Italian style -- e.g., do not expect a contemporary decor (except in the bathrooms which have a certain Italian flair) but rather things like an oriental runner up the stairs, silk wall coverings and heavy curtains in the rooms, etc. The AdS also has superior views (of the Pantheon and the piazza in front of it) from many of its rooms.

The Iconic is part of a chain, is newer, and will have a more contemporary look and feel to the rooms. Some prefer this. It may also be a good choice if you have points to use or status with Marriott to get upgrades. I can't be much more definitive as I haven't stayed there.

Both hotels have rooftop terraces/bars. The Iconic has a Michelin-starred restaurant, but as I prefer to go out for dinner at night, it would not make much of a difference to me. There are many excellent restaurants in the vicinity, although perhaps not Michelin quality (however you do get more of a sense of being in Rome rather than cocooned in a hotel).

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Our cruise will end in Rome in late June 2024. I’ve noticed we can do much better with a VRBO verses a hotel. Is there any reason not to?  What area?  

We have done VRBO here in the USA and it has worked out well.  I looked into it doing this in Rome but I couldn't find anything I liked partly because I think I was shopping too late. 

To me there are a couple of drawbacks with doing VRBO in a foreign country.  First, the cancellation terms may be less favorable than a hotel.  The other drawback is that it may be more difficult to work out issues if there are problems (language/culture barrier).  It would not deter me from booking thru VRBO if I found something I really liked.  The right travel insurance can help minimize consequences if you have to cancel your VRBO booking due to unforeseen circumstances. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/28/2022 at 12:39 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Either hotel would be a good choice IMO. Both are located in the same vicinity. It comes down to small details. The Albergo del Senato is a three star hotel and its charm for me lies in the fact that it is a "one off" hotel with a very traditional, Italian style -- e.g., do not expect a contemporary decor (except in the bathrooms which have a certain Italian flair) but rather things like an oriental runner up the stairs, silk wall coverings and heavy curtains in the rooms, etc. The AdS also has superior views (of the Pantheon and the piazza in front of it) from many of its rooms.

The Iconic is part of a chain, is newer, and will have a more contemporary look and feel to the rooms. Some prefer this. It may also be a good choice if you have points to use or status with Marriott to get upgrades. I can't be much more definitive as I haven't stayed there.

Both hotels have rooftop terraces/bars. The Iconic has a Michelin-starred restaurant, but as I prefer to go out for dinner at night, it would not make much of a difference to me. There are many excellent restaurants in the vicinity, although perhaps not Michelin quality (however you do get more of a sense of being in Rome rather than cocooned in a hotel).

Thank you!!! This will help us choose. 

18 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

After finally reading through all 25 pages, we have decided to go with Albergo del Senato.  Our cruise isn't for 529 more days so bookings haven't opened yet.  When should we start looking or can I email them now to secure a room?

I would say it's too early now. Email them for best rates when it's about a year away. Dealing directly with the hotel is the best route, either via their own website (be careful as some consolidators have started creating sub-sites that "appear" to be that of the individual hotel but is not....!) or by email. 

Request a Pantheon-view room. Their standard response is that they cannot guarantee it but when you book directly through them you stand a much better chance of getting that request fulfilled.

• Like 1