The Daily for Wednesday Jul 29, 2020

richwmn

4 minutes ago, lindaler said:

Shoot. Just came back to check in and my comment has disappeared. Thanks everyone for your posts to this thread. 

It seems to happen to me a lot.  Usually, my comment still shows up in the answer box even if the post did not go through.

Roy

• Like 1

Just popping in to say hello. We've had a relatively quiet day, but the heat is still raging. They promised 17º tonight, but it has a loooong way to get there! I am looking forward to sleeping with the window open. All of the flowers (and dogs, kazu) are beautiful. Looking after the 4 year old, and it's time for bed. Prayers for those that need them, and blessings to all. Stay safe! Be kind!

• Like 4

Tonight's sunset comes from just north of the Arctic Circle.  I got up every hour to take a picture.  This one is from midnight.  Voyage of the Midnight Sun,  Ms Koningsdam, June 11-25, 2017

DSC02126.JPG

• Like 8

@rafinmd I also loved Come from Away. I had no idea what to expect when I saw it but it was my absolute favorite show that Broadway season. I had planned a trip to Newfoundland in 2021 on the Rotterdam and was so looking forward to it. Hopefully a similar itinerary comes up again after the ship shuffle is complete. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

A couple of sunsets - the first is Ushuaia, Argentina, and the colours really were like that.  The second was Corfu last October, from our verandah on Koningsdam.

Lovely, just lovely.  Wouldn't you want to be on that verandah right NOW?  I know I would.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Tonight's sunset comes from just north of the Arctic Circle.  I got up every hour to take a picture.  This one is from midnight.  Voyage of the Midnight Sun,  Ms Koningsdam, June 11-25, 2017

DSC02126.JPG

Debbie that is just wonderful!  And more power to you for getting up each hour to take a photo!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Debbie that is just wonderful!  And more power to you for getting up each hour to take a photo!

We all had a good chuckle when the Captain, during his Saturday noon report on the PA said, "Tonight's sunset will be next Tuesday."   I had to get up and take pictures each hour.  That was part of the reason for going on the cruise.  I wasn't alone as I met several other people out on the aft deck doing the same thing.   

We were supposed to go back to Norway this summer to do that cruise again, but COVID cancelled that one.

Edited by dfish
  • Like 4

Gorgeous picture gfish!  I also was booked on a cruise to Norway this summer.....I will return!!!  By the way, I was a student at Kent State from 1970 to 1974.  I haven't been back to Kent since.  I really want to go visit the campus again some day.  

~Nancy

• Like 4

7 hours ago, oakridger said:

Gorgeous picture gfish!  I also was booked on a cruise to Norway this summer.....I will return!!!  By the way, I was a student at Kent State from 1970 to 1974.  I haven't been back to Kent since.  I really want to go visit the campus again some day.  

~Nancy

You'll find the campus greatly changed.  Latest is the esplanade to walk from campus to downtown.  The downtown area of Kent is totally different as well.  There was a lot of expansion and rebuilding after the 2008 crash and it is really quite nice.  I just hope all the small, independent stores can survive.

14 hours ago, cat shepard said:

@fatcat04 hope you are having fun with the kids. It has been awhile.

Oh thank you dear. Yes and no. Kids and dh are good. Dh job gets more and more Covid complex everyday. But he is doing well. Toddler is a hand full but so much fun. She got a new set of "fairy wings" yesterday and oh my, she was so adorable if I do say so myself. She is a very girly girl. Ds is enjoying that PAYCHECK and enjoying his job too. His trade school registration is next week and that will be interesting to see how they deal with classes and Covid.

But life has been stressful too. My mil took a fall down her concrete garage steps. Thankfully!!! she did not break anything and the scans came up good but she laid in her garage for 18 hours unable to get up the steps and get help. Absolutely horrifying but dh had told her he knew he was going to get this call one day, and that day came. Dh had a long talk with her when he picked her up from the hospital. We are so hoping this will wake her up to her vulnerability despite her need to stay independent, which tbh we have harped on this need for logical precautions and adjustments ever since my father in law died. We want her independent as long as possible but she has been very averse to ramps, hand rails, shower hand holds, a mobility device, or even moving into a single level no stairs senior condo community (my mom lives in one and loves it and I love it for her, gives me great peace of mind). So, maybe now she will listen to these conversations, maybe. I love my mil but sometimes she is as hardheaded as the toddler!

Otherwise, life here in TN is hot, sticky, rainy, and full of mosquitoes everyday (wash rinse repeat) for the past couple of weeks!! Florida can have it's weather back tyvm. 😛

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

But life has been stressful too. My mil took a fall down her concrete garage steps. Thankfully!!! she did not break anything and the scans came up good but she laid in her garage for 18 hours unable to get up the steps and get help. Absolutely horrifying but dh had told her he knew he was going to get this call one day, and that day came. Dh had a long talk with her when he picked her up from the hospital. We are so hoping this will wake her up to her vulnerability despite her need to stay independent, which tbh we have harped on this need for logical precautions and adjustments ever since my father in law died. We want her independent as long as possible but she has been very averse to ramps, hand rails, shower hand holds, a mobility device, or even moving into a single level no stairs senior condo community (my mom lives in one and loves it and I love it for her, gives me great peace of mind). So, maybe now she will listen to these conversations, maybe. I love my mil but sometimes she is as hardheaded as the toddler!

Good to see you! Glad you are well & that your MIL was not seriously injured. How horrifying - 18 hours!  

Would she wear a watch? Apple watches have a feature that detects when you fall, and asks if you want it to call for help. And if you do not answer in the specified time, it calls someone for you. 

I know I dread losing my independence.  Hope you & your DH convince her to take some precautions. 

Ann

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fatcat04 said:

Oh thank you dear. Yes and no. Kids and dh are good. Dh job gets more and more Covid complex everyday. But he is doing well. Toddler is a hand full but so much fun. She got a new set of "fairy wings" yesterday and oh my, she was so adorable if I do say so myself. She is a very girly girl. Ds is enjoying that PAYCHECK and enjoying his job too. His trade school registration is next week and that will be interesting to see how they deal with classes and Covid.

Otherwise, life here in TN is hot, sticky, rainy, and full of mosquitoes everyday (wash rinse repeat) for the past couple of weeks!! Florida can have it's weather back tyvm. 😛

Oh I am so sorry that to hear about your MIL’s fall.  That must have been so stressful. 😞 

Hopefully now she will listen to the conversation about safety.  

Good luck and try to stay cool - I know it’s tough right now.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Good to see you! Glad you are well & that your MIL was not seriously injured. How horrifying - 18 hours!  

Would she wear a watch? Apple watches have a feature that detects when you fall, and asks if you want it to call for help. And if you do not answer in the specified time, it calls someone for you. 

I know I dread losing my independence.  Hope you & your DH convince her to take some precautions. 

Ann

Thank you! That is a very good idea. She did mention wanting some type of technological solution that could alert us and authorities if something happened. I'll look into this. Everything technology wise has to be super simple for her. She still has a flip phone and doesn't even have email. Fil was the tech geek in their house so after he passed very unexpectedly we had a horrible time weeding through everything and all these years later we still can't access one of his computers. I am thankful my mom embraced tech like smart phones, tablets, and has been at least moderately computer literate for decades now. I joke with dh that many in our generation (Gen Xers) taught both our parents and kids how to use computers. 

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, fatcat04 said:

Oh no!  So thankful that your MIL didn't break anything but how horrible for her to be there for 18 hours.  I so feel your pain.  We had a neighbor (in her 90's at the time and legally blind!) that had this happen when she was taking out her trash bin and another neighbor found her out front and helped her inside where she was able to call for help.  She did break a hip, ended up in rehab and nursing home after surgery for quite awhile.  After she came home she used a walker but was still insistent upon living by herself.   At that point we started getting her mail for her and she lived next door for many more years and eventually went to a senior living residence.   Then my own mother broke her hip but was in the street so was thankfully found very quickly and off to the hospital.  She did purchase the "I've fallen and I can't get up" push button type control that she wore around her neck.  I never could get her to use a smart phone or a computer.  She lived by herself for 13 more years before deciding to move into a senior living residence.  She has been there a year and really loves it except Covid has really made it lonely.

So hopefully your MIL will realize how important it is to just give into a little less independence and ask for assistance.  Keep us posted!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm sorry to hear these stories about the elderly falling and being so independent that they won't listen to reason.  Sounds like my MIL!  Anyway, we also have a neighbor who fell in his slippery, steep driveway during the night when he was taking his trash bin to the curb.  He was only 74.   At this point he can walk inch by inch with a walker or a cane.  And he is now living alone because his 65 year old wife wanted to move to a retirement community apartment and he didn't so she moved out!!   I am not kidding!  Therefore DH gets his mail for him daily and puts it on his covered porch on a small table with a pot to hold it down.  Then every week DH gets the trash bin from the top of the driveway and takes it back up the driveway after pick up.  This has been going on for almost a year, but I am still shaking my head at the wife who refuses to live with him.  

• Like 4