NCL just cancelled all of October sailings

jimbo5544

We need to accept that carnival will cancel October cruises as well.  They are dragging their feet to get more money out of cruisers. 
So you mean anyone can pay a deposit of just $50 and get a return of $50 plus $600 when The Cruise gets cancelled?

5 minutes ago, drsel said:
11 minutes ago, Cruiseboy06 said:
We need to accept that carnival will cancel October cruises as well.  They are dragging their feet to get more money out of cruisers. 

So you mean anyone can pay a deposit of just $50 and get a return of $50 plus $600 when The Cruise gets cancelled?

No they are waiting until all the final payment dates for the October cruises have passed, so you can't get $600 credit after paying only $50. The last payments for October cruises are due tomorrow 😉 

Edited by linz98144
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, drsel said:
12 minutes ago, Cruiseboy06 said:

In some cases, you can. For the Fascination cancelations for example. Lots of folks only had a $50 deposit down. They can transfer that over to another cruise plus get the $600 OBC. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

They'll have to start sailing eventually. How can their projected dates always be incorrect? They're pretty confident this time -- have some faith. If they know it isn't going to happen, they would tell us due to their esteemed code of ethics. They just said today that October is still on target.

Royal is still selling October cruises. Why should Carnival let Royal steal all the money? At least CCL provides decent compensation is a cruise is cancelled.

18 minutes ago, Cruiseboy06 said:

What is Royal's excuse?

Royal is still selling October cruises. Why should Carnival let Royal steal all the money? At least CCL provides decent compensation is a cruise is cancelled.
What is the compensation provided by Royal, Norwegian, MSC, etc

28 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

23 minutes ago, drsel said:
28 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

What is the compensation provided by Royal, Norwegian, MSC, etc

125% FCC by Royal for something outside of their control is not decent? Many places just provide a refund for services not rendered due to Covid and wish you a nice day.

1 hour ago, xDisconnections said:

125% FCC by Royal for something outside of their control is not decent? Many places just provide a refund for services not rendered due to Covid and wish you a nice day.

Sounds like a bare minimum for fraudulently selling cruises to fleece customers out of money. Carnival's offer doesn't vary with the price of your cabin. All cabins matter.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, linz98144 said:

No they are waiting until all the final payment dates for the October cruises have passed, so you can't get $600 credit after paying only $50. The last payments for October cruises are due tomorrow 😉 

Mine is August 17th... sure hope to know something prior to that!

• Like 1

I think it's still ok to make the full payment, instead of forfeiting your deposit.
Even if they cancel, you will get a bonus of $600 with your FCC.

all this is provided you trust that Carnival will continue to be in business in 2021 and 2022 and will honour your FCC and $600 OBC

Sounds like a bare minimum for fraudulently selling cruises to fleece customers out of money. Carnival's offer doesn't vary with the price of your cabin. All cabins matter.

I am convinced that Carnival has the best deal ($600) going for a cancelled Cruise compared to all Cruise lines, including other Cruise lines of the Carnival Corporation family.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bobsfamily said:

Mine is August 17th... sure hope to know something prior to that!

Really, oops, guess my math is wrong. 

In that case, they will be waiting until after Aug 17. 

Sincerely, 3 cancelled cruises (so far). 2 after final payment, the other due to Radiance moving. 

9 hours ago, drsel said:

I think it's still ok to make the full payment, instead of forfeiting your deposit.
Even if they cancel, you will get a bonus of $600 with your FCC.

all this is provided you trust that Carnival will continue to be in business in 2021 and 2022 and will honour your FCC and $600 OBC

I chose a refund for all monies paid and opted not to receive a goodwill gesture when my cruise was canceled. I did require my financial institution’s assistance at the 45 day mark (my quoted refund period was 45 days) but all funds had been returned accordingly.

It is my choice not to have money tied up as a “store credit” with one merchant — especially with an expiration date — despite already having another cruise reserved through said cruise line. It’s also one of the contributing factors as to why I don’t use gift cards for everyday purchases.

34 minutes ago, drsel said:

Printing gift cards and gift vouchers and exchanging them for real cash is as good as printing money for any shop or cruise line

Still though, I prefer not to lock anything into a specific merchant. Last year my preference was Princess... this year, it’s Royal. Once, I enjoyed Carnival and now I try to avoid it whenever possible. I’d hate to choose a future vacation based on where I have a credit that’s due to expire.

Edited by xDisconnections

In theory, the $600 OBC is the better deal for regular cruisers. There goes your gratuities, all or some of your drinks, and maybe even a few more enjoyable purchases for yourself while pocketing money. I could care less about being tied into a store credit. I already committed that money to cruising and if it's later, I'm ok with that. If this was a few month deal, I'd jump on this offer in a heartbeat.

With that said, the option becomes less and less attractive to me the longer this uncertainty goes on. The more cruising supply is restricted, the more ships they unload, among other factors, creates a future cruising price which can be unpredictable and potentially much higher. Obviously, the OBC could help offset that, but could also make the entire cruiser unreasonable in the first place. Also, the longer they continue to not sail, the more unstable they become financially. How does it all look if there is a bankruptcy?

21 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

. Also, the longer they continue to not sail, the more unstable they become financially. How does it all look if there is a bankruptcy?

Yes and no. Carnival continues to arrange for additional financing, spreading the debt over more years. And creditors certainly don't want to be stuck with ships - they will allow refinancing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Joebucks said:

How does it all look if there is a bankruptcy?

I think chapter 11 BK is inevitable for some

cruise lines as they become more & more cash-strapped.  Chapter 11s are usually only approved when the debtor company can provide a viable way out of it’s current situation (is that possible with this virus?).

The I think the recent high interest rate (11%?) loan rate CCL obtained recently indicates some concern investors have in profitability returning soon.  If further loans or stock offerings are initiated, they become more about repaying old loans than maintaining minimal infrastructure at even higher rates.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TooManyWakeUpsTilWeSail said:

I think chapter 11 BK is inevitable for some

cruise lines as they become more & more cash-strapped.  Chapter 11s are usually only approved when the debtor company can provide a viable way out of it’s current situation (is that possible with this virus?).

The I think the recent high interest rate (11%?) loan rate CCL obtained recently indicates some concern investors have in profitability returning soon.  If further loans or stock offerings are initiated, they become more about repaying old loans than maintaining minimal infrastructure at even higher rates.

CCL has been obtaining loans at lower interest than 11% lately. Some of their debt has been pushed out to 2029.

• Like 2

On 8/1/2020 at 1:31 PM, xDisconnections said:

They'll have to start sailing eventually. How can their projected dates always be incorrect? They're pretty confident this time -- have some faith. If they know it isn't going to happen, they would tell us due to their esteemed code of ethics. They just said today that October is still on target.

The video posted was from June? I don't know if that makes a big difference. Also don't know if the troubles of Hurtigruten recently will change Carnival's plans. As far as I've read, Mein Schiff II hasn't run into problems; someone posted on Celebrity ref live Mein Schiff II short cruise. I wonder if those passengers will be contacted going forward to see if positives popped up after disembarkation. Hopefully those who are successful will share with those who still have problems. A process, slower than we want, I know.

Edited by Etta1213

7 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

CCL has been obtaining loans at lower interest than 11% lately. Some of their debt has been pushed out to 2029.

That’s good.  I probably shouldn’t have quoted Joebucks without having complete info but most businesses don’t need to operate under those debt terms.  Long term loan repayment terms are definitely what cruise lines need right now.