Advice welcomed!

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

code_d stick around you will get lots of good advice and probably some good natured ribbing from time to time. Many of the regulars have said hello, there are a few more I'm sure will have some helpful hints. You will also figure out who the class clowns are. I'm the wayward Canadian that found this place more fun than the others. Don't be alarmed when this thread wanders off course seemingly with the slightest lapse in a reply. 

Thank you for the wrap Lyle, we are mostly harmless, the odd clown.🤡

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

$16 plus tip, daylight robbery, must have been top shelf. At my local golf glub glass of very drinkable De Bortoli, $4. The more you drink the more you save.🍷

By the Bay and NSWP

Robbery indeed.  And at some restaurants not necessarily top shelf..that can be $2 to 4 extra.

30 minutes ago, BRANDEE said:

By the Bay and NSWP

Robbery indeed.  And at some restaurants not necessarily top shelf..that can be $2 to 4 extra.

Jacobs Creek Pinot Noir, I can buy this by the half case (6) at my local Dan Murphys liquor store for around $6 per bottle - the deal - 6 for $36.    The more you drink the more you save.pinot.jpg.06374ea0ee22e7f22ebb5a49adcf3da3.jpgAt my local golf club Jacobs Creek range sells in the Bistro for around $14 per 750ml bottle or $4 a 150ml glass.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

code_d stick around you will get lots of good advice and probably some good natured ribbing from time to time. Many of the regulars have said hello, there are a few more I'm sure will have some helpful hints. You will also figure out who the class clowns are. I'm the wayward Canadian that found this place more fun than the others. Don't be alarmed when this thread wanders off course seemingly with the slightest lapse in a reply. 

code-d....

.Blackduck59 is right.  Stick around and you will get some great advice from many of the Aussies and some New Zealanders about what to do and who to use both in Sydney and the Pacific Islands.  

I "joined" this thread last year when I was planning my land trip to Sydney and cruises to New Zealand and Fiji Island. Fabulous tips on were to go and who to use. The only thing that went wrong was covid..interrupted our NZ cruise and cancelled our Fiji.  But so glad that I took the advice from so many here and we had a fabulous 6 days in Sydney..so much to see and eat (gotta try a meat pie) . We had two more days planned at the end of the cruise in Sydney but had to go home....We also had a wonderful time in NZ while it lasted. Fiji..I am heartbroken about it..

While it is still fresh in my mind...Advice about arriving at Sydney airport.  We arrived about 9 am Monday morning..We did get a van for four very quickly..there were many available.  We expected a $60/70AUD charge to get to Circular Quay..However, it was rush hour and it took double the time in traffic and double the price.  There are many cars/vans that can be hired in advance at a better price..especially if arriving weekdays and during the normal commuter traffic.

Also, the 16 hour time change and the 22 hours in the air, plus airport time waiting, threw us for a loop the first day..We got to JFK at noon on Saturday and landed at Sydney 9am Monday. (3 1/2 hr layover at LAX).  Got to stay up..when you land ..you have to do something..(shower to wake up)  go out and walk around (Circular Quay) is in the middle of so much.  We did have an early dinner (6:00) and in bed by 8pm..Never slept so sound in my life for 13 hours.  Very glad we did 6 pre days in Sydney..took our time and went to most of the recommended places at a very nice pace. 

Any other information about traveling from the USA I can help you with..please let me know.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BRANDEE said:

I thought the prices in Sydney were on par with NYC prices this past March.  In fact, I live in the suburbs of Long Island, about 20 minutes from Broadway (train or car with no traffic) and a glass of wine at some of the local restaurants is $16.  That is ridiculous...plus tip

I was quite surprised how expensive food and wine was in San Francisco and New York when we were there two years ago, after adding on taxes and tips. But some things were cheaper. We did have some nice lobster at a lobster and burger bar in Broadway one night, about half the price or less than you'd pay for lobster in a Sydney restaurant.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Jacobs Creek Pinot Noir, I can buy this by the half case (6) at my local Dan Murphys liquor store for around $6 per bottle - the deal - 6 for $36.    The more you drink the more you save.pinot.jpg.06374ea0ee22e7f22ebb5a49adcf3da3.jpgAt my local golf club Jacobs Creek range sells in the Bistro for around $14 per 750ml bottle or $4 a 150ml glass.

21 minutes ago, NSWP said:

My husband is a member of the Elks and they have a lodge..we can drink there for about the same prices as your golf club...and we do!  Big surprise in Sydney...no Yellowtail wine??  Big seller in the USA.

On 7/31/2020 at 5:15 PM, christodan said:

Thanks. Will definitely do that !

Look out for the self styled prince at one of the places you visit on the cruise. He wheels out his throne with a top hat and its mud crab emblem and then there's his royal corgis (they're not corgis really but a mixture of this and that in the way of dog breeds) good for a laugh and one of the highlights of the trip we did. 

Edited by ozziepost

35 minutes ago, BRANDEE said:

My husband is a member of the Elks and they have a lodge..we can drink there for about the same prices as your golf club...and we do!  Big surprise in Sydney...no Yellowtail wine??  Big seller in the USA.

Plenty of yellow tail here, big export i know, about $8 a bottle. I was recently out there at winery, Yenda, cascela.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Plenty of yellow tail here, big export i know, about $8 a bottle. I was recently out there at winery, Yenda, cascela.

We went to a liquor store..box store..next to the Marriott circular quay hotel.  We were told it was only exported...we were buying wine to bring on the cruise.  Did end up with some other nice Australian wine, but guess he just didn't carry it and gave us a story!!  Went to a very nice winery in Napier..NZ while on cruise.

Edited by BRANDEE

31 minutes ago, BRANDEE said:

We went to a liquor store..box store..next to the Marriott circular quay hotel.  We were told it was only exported...we were buying wine to bring on the cruise.  Did end up with some other nice Australian wine, but guess he just didn't carry it and gave us a story!!  Went to a very nice winery in Napier..NZ while on cruise.

You can buy Yellow Tail at some big liquor stores like Dan Murphy's. It's a bottom of the line wine here. 

34 minutes ago, BRANDEE said:

Understand exactly. We stayed at Marriott, circular quay for a night in jne last year, pre Noordam to honolulu. Great hotel and excellent position, just roll your cases down the hill to the terminal. The wine shop up the hill next to marriott, sells more upmarket wines, not enough profit for them selling yellowtail etc. which are every day quaffers , commercial wines here. I dont mind them , but for the price prefer wolf blass eaglehawk. I worked in the city for several years, know my way around, many tourist traps that is why it is good you ask on here, wealth of knowledge from many. All the best to you ps the wine shop staff were talking bull..😍

Edited by NSWP

6 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

You can buy Yellow Tail at some big liquor stores like Dan Murphy's. It's a bottom of the line wine here. 

Dont mind it, but made a little sweet for the uk and american market. I am no wine snob, i wil drink it. Maybe i am just a wineaholic, just having couple of glasses of Hardys Stamp Merlot, $7.40 for a litre bottle, do me.

Edited by NSWP

36 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Dont mind it, but made a little sweet for the uk and american market. I am no wine snob, i wil drink it. Maybe i am just a wineaholic, just having couple of glasses of Hardys Stamp Merlot, $7.40 for a litre bottle, do me.

I vaguely remember trying it a long time ago and deciding it didn't suit me. I'm not a wine snob either but do have strong opinions on what I like and don't like. Some of those opinions are based on how I react to certain wines - I can't drink Sauvignon Blanc from many countries because it gives me serious reflux, but can handle a French Sancerre occasionally as they tend to be softer and smoother. I can't drink big Aussie reds either. We're finding some interesting red wines at Aldi at very good prices, but I haven't managed to find a good white in their range, they are all too acidic for me.

I was loving the new Princess wine list. There were lots of European wines on it at fairly decent prices (for restaurant wines) so I was in heaven! 

29 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I vaguely remember trying it a long time ago and deciding it didn't suit me. I'm not a wine snob either but do have strong opinions on what I like and don't like. Some of those opinions are based on how I react to certain wines - I can't drink Sauvignon Blanc from many countries because it gives me serious reflux, but can handle a French Sancerre occasionally as they tend to be softer and smoother. I can't drink big Aussie reds either. We're finding some interesting red wines at Aldi at very good prices, but I haven't managed to find a good white in their range, they are all too acidic for me.

I was loving the new Princess wine list. There were lots of European wines on it at fairly decent prices (for restaurant wines) so I was in heaven! 

I liked the Villages Beaujolais on the ships. But at the end  of the day, wine prices on the ships are way over the top. Saw some Wolf Blass yellow label one time on Princess, US$35 a bottle, get it here for AU$11. Outreagous.

Edited by NSWP

16 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I liked the Villages Beaujolais on the ships. But at the end  of the day, wine prices on the ships are way over the top. Saw some Wolf Blass yellow label one time on Princess, US$35 a bottle, get it here for AU$11. Outreagous.

Bottle store price or restaurant price? It's unfair to compare the Princess wine prices, or those of any other cruise line, with bottle store prices. Yes, Princess buys wines at a discount but has to transport them, store them under the appropriate conditions, and serve them. In other words just like a land based restaurant. They a also have to wear the costs of getting it wrong occasionally and ending up with a wine that doesn't sell well.

I tried to figure out the Australian $ prices on Princess compared with the USD prices and couldn't figure out any formula that worked using exchange rate and/or added gratuities on the USD price. I came to the conclusion we got a pretty good deal, restaurant price wise, on European wines. We rarely drink Aussie or NZ wines when cruising, we can drink plenty of those at home.

Yes, the Beaujolais Villages is quite a decent drop, we polished off the odd one or two last year. My big win was the Barolo, an expensive wine at the best of times but nice for a special occasion. Princess were offering it one dollar cheaper than you could buy it at Dan Murphy's. Awesome! We rarely get a chance to drink Barolo, which is regarded as one of the best Italian wines, hence the usually high prices. And it was roughly half the price you'd pay in a Sydney restaurant for a Barolo.

12 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

NSWP and OzKiwiJJ..

We bought 4 bottles at the wine store next to the Marriott at Circular Quay and they were a little more pricey than we usually spend.  Only one of the Aussie reds was not to my liking.

I am definitely not a wine snob..either..drink what I like not what is recommended.  I remember being in an upscale steak house and asking for a glass of ice for my Merlot...

I drink mostly California and Long Island wines.  I live about an hour and half from some very nice wineries on Long Island.  Some allow you to bring a cooler of cheeses and salami and fruit and you can have the wine tasting in the beautiful vineyards with picnic tables. We are planning our very first outing since getting home (Mar 20) to the wineries this Friday.  Self distancing and plenty of room..need masks to order indoors..but once outside at the tables you can sit and enjoy.  Just bought two "Groupons" for discount on cases at two of the ones we are going to. Here is the catch..police cars are sometimes parked right off the road..so someone has to be the DND. 

Next time in Sydney..I will hunt out my favorite Yellow Tail and not be told otherwise..Thanks

1 hour ago, Docker123 said:

Yellow Tail is readily a available. 

Easiest to find at the bottle shops associated with the 2 main supermarket chains.

So look for Liquorland (Coles) or BWS (Woolworths).

Imagine having a Dan Murphys or 1st Choice Liquor at Circular Quay.  Great for cruisers and locals, but the pubs and upmarket bottlos, like the one next to the Marriott, would go ballistic.   Like down here, Dan Murphys opened in Batemans Bay about 3 months ago, so we have them, Coles Liquorland, Woolworths BWS, two drive through bottlos, couple of pubs and two big clubs, the infamous Soldiers Cub and mGolf Club with bottleshops. Dan Murphys has the market, selection and prices.   All these for a town of 11,000 people which explodes to 100,000 people, Christmas and Easter, mostly Canberrans.  Half of our dozen restaurants close in winter, no tourist trade.

My favourite trades year round...Donegans, Batehaven, next time you are down here.donegans.jpg.97f7ffb9cf101e4d1e5212129e6d91ea.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

That's some seriously good looking tucker Les, is that a rib eye under the sauce? Surf and turf food for the enlightened. (or the neanderthal depending on what side of the fence you are on)

Yes, Rib Eye steak Lyle, I have chips with mine instead of the spud. The plate of salad is included in every meal.  The garlic bread was not for me. Prices, around $30.  My wife and I patronised the place monthly, sometimes fortnightly.  So if you ever hit these shores, you know where to get the best steak in town, also pork and seafood etc and a glass of drinkable McWilliams Markview vino will only cost you $5.

And no tipping normally  as a family of three runs the place.  However if it is busy and they have a waitress on, being one of the last big spenders I will give her $5 or $10 tip.  Don't always believe what you read on here that we don't tip in Australia, we do, but not expected and gratefully received.  Although in Sydney tips are starting to be put on your bill in a few posh places.

I know what I have started..another tipping thread, pass the..990181979_th(1).jpg.e08a2469358ea4d44fa5f4e66887561a.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Haha 1

It's only a matter of time before I get to Oz Les, how far from Sydney to Batehaven? as planned we have 3 days in Sydney but who knows what may happen. The whole plan looks to be headed for the bog so we may have to hit the reset button.

Where is that surf and turf uncle Les, strike me pink I’ll even let ‘Em include the salad, that looks near on good enough to eat, maybe even if they’ve got a pie on the menu I might still fo the surf and turf.

as an aside Ye old Grand Hotel in Newie (between the Family Court and chambers so I had to pass the thing multiple times a day) used to do one with seafood mornay (swapping around the type of steak or various schnitzels underneath) a sad day when the dining room changed hands.