What has HAL been doing about cancelled cruises please?

cruise kitty

Hi there,  we are currently booked on the Thanksgiving week cruise on K-Dam,  along with DD & SIL,  final payment is not until Sept. 9th, & while I"m certain it will be cancelled, I am wondering what HAL has offered so far regarding cancelled cruises....  we've had several cancelled on Celebrity, & they offered 125% if you shifted to a later cruise... in that case we took full refunds as there was quite a bit of $$ involved, (suites, etc) 

In this case, our investment is smaller, & I would love to take this cruise next year for the same price & perks

My question is, for those who are knowledgeable, has HAL offered anything other that refunds, & if so, what?

Thanks in advance!

3 minutes ago, cruise kitty said:

Hi there,  we are currently booked on the Thanksgiving week cruise on K-Dam,  along with DD & SIL,  final payment is not until Sept. 9th, & while I"m certain it will be cancelled, I am wondering what HAL has offered so far regarding cancelled cruises....  we've had several cancelled on Celebrity, & they offered 125% if you shifted to a later cruise... in that case we took full refunds as there was quite a bit of $$ involved, (suites, etc) 

In this case, our investment is smaller, & I would love to take this cruise next year for the same price & perks

My question is, for those who are knowledgeable, has HAL offered anything other that refunds, & if so, what?

Thanks in advance!

A lot of the cancellations have had the offer of additional FCC but not all.

BUT there is no guarantee that the cruise will be for the same price and with the same perks.

And, you might have quite a wait to receive your FCC.  Mine is soon approaching 5 months since I cancelled.  You need a lot of patience.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

And, you might have quite a wait to receive your FCC.  Mine is soon approaching 5 months since I cancelled.  You need a lot of patience.

We've been waiting 4 1/2 months for our FCC so you have had an even longer wait.  I've just about decided they are planning on just forgetting about them.  What could possibly be taking them so long?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

We've been waiting 4 1/2 months for our FCC so you have had an even longer wait.  I've just about decided they are planning on just forgetting about them.  What could possibly be taking them so long?

My May 17th Cruise was cancelled on April 16th  and I received the FCC on May 7th, the port fees came about 3 weeks later.

I use Big Box TA and they sent out a form asking all the information, booking number etc and asked me to fill it out picking the FCC or cash. I received 125% FCC plus $250 OBC.

There was also a form online on the HAL site if you booked direct. Did you already fill out the form and make a choice?

My cruise in 2021 was cancelled  because the ship was sold and they offered 200% FCC so I opted for that. I don't plan to spend the FCC's until we get further out. I have a 2022 Panama Canal booked and plan to stack the FCC to pay for that. I don't know what the logic is in FCC payouts did you check your Mariner account or junk mail (that's where my email was)

A-

image.png.cefbd33a2113edbca84780f61f18ae01.png

Alan, we cancelled our June 6 cruise March 17 and HAL didn't cancel that cruise until mid April.  So we didn't have to fill out forms like everyone who had it cancelled by HAL.  They had already told us what the FCC amount was (a portion of deposit) and the remainder was a refund to CrCard.  We received that refund on June 6 but still no FCC.

Oh and we check our spam folder 10 times a day, LOL!

Edited by StLouisCruisers

We cancelled our 35 day trip (scheduled to start in April)  in March. At the time we were told 50% refund and 50% FCC. Received the refund to our credit card in mid June. No FCC, told it was being processed.   A few weeks ago, a rep at HAL told me she couldnt see it but not to worry.

Today on my account it states no  FCC available!  

I called my TA and she is out of the office with an undetermined return. I sent an email to a FCC  that I have dealt with before and she is out of the office until Monday.

Not feeling good about all of this.

thanks for all the replies, sounds like there really aren't any great offers out there..  we did book through a big box TA & I'm going to check pricing on the 2021 cruise... see if they will just move us to that one instead  :)

Good luck to those awaiting refunds & credits & good health to all :)

On 7/30/2020 at 12:51 PM, StLouisCruisers said:

My 2021 cruise on the Rotterdam was canceled because they sold the ship. I had my FCC 3 days after they announced the cancellation. Have you been in touch with them recently?

10 hours ago, Andi Land said:

My 2021 cruise on the Rotterdam was canceled because they sold the ship. I had my FCC 3 days after they announced the cancellation. Have you been in touch with them recently?

Yes.  The last time was about a week or two ago.  No one has ever seen a glimmer of it appearing, even though they see it was promised to us.  They didn't cancel our cruise, we did on March 17.

46 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

They didn't cancel our cruise, we did on March 17.

I suspect the problem is that you cancelled as opposed to waiting for HAL to cancel. I thought FCCs were only issued as compensation for an action HAL took ??? Perhaps an exception was made in your case, but certainly not the norm.

Edited by Lido - Lanai

The cruise in questions was June 6 and we had already made final payment.  We cancelled and received a refund for the full amount in early July but the cancellation penalty was to be returned to us as a FCC.  It was about $400.  The cruise was cancelled by HAL on April 14.  We figured we wouldn't be able to go anywhere in June and beat them to the punch.

3 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

the cancellation penalty was to be returned to us as a FCC.

This would be an exception to the norm. You cancelled on your own and cancellation penalty typically applies. I hope you get your FCC when it's all said and done! I had several cruises this year that I knew would not happen and decided to wait for HAL to do the cancelling, and so far I've received my refunds/FCCs on all but one cruise, which was just recently cancelled due to the ship being sold. I know it will be a few months but am confident my FCC will eventually be issued.

We canceled around the the same and assumed that we would forfeit the deposit as we were in that penalty phase, but when the travel agent canceled for us, they were told that the deposit would be credited back in a FCC. We haven't seen anything in our account either though.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zeen978 said:

We canceled around the the same and assumed that we would forfeit the deposit as we were in that penalty phase, but when the travel agent canceled for us, they were told that the deposit would be credited back in a FCC. We haven't seen anything in our account either though.  

My bad then...... apparently they made some exceptions.... I hope you both get your FCCs !

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lido - Lanai said:

This would be an exception to the norm. You cancelled on your own and cancellation penalty typically applies. I hope you get your FCC when it's all said and done! I had several cruises this year that I knew would not happen and decided to wait for HAL to do the cancelling, and so far I've received my refunds/FCCs on all but one cruise, which was just recently cancelled due to the ship being sold. I know it will be a few months but am confident my FCC will eventually be issued.

I also had the deposit refunded as a FCC for a cruise I cancelled that HAL later cancelled.

• Like 1

Before I cancelled my April cruise, HAL had sent me an email that said the following:

We will allow those booked on sailings between now and May 31, 2020, the option of cancelling their booking (no later than March 31, 2020, with a minimum of 72 hours in advance of their departure date). 

• Any cancellation will receive a Future Cruise Credit (FCC) for the amount of your cancellation fee, which can be used for another cruise in 2020 or 2021.

Still not showing any FCC on my account.

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Before I cancelled my April cruise, HAL had sent me an email that said the following:

We will allow those booked on sailings between now and May 31, 2020, the option of cancelling their booking (no later than March 31, 2020, with a minimum of 72 hours in advance of their departure date). 

• Any cancellation will receive a Future Cruise Credit (FCC) for the amount of your cancellation fee, which can be used for another cruise in 2020 or 2021.

Still not showing any FCC on my account.

That's the boat we're in, too -- based on the e-mail -- we didn't book through HAL & have been getting the run around.....finally talked to somebody at HAL 10 days ago & she said she would send a message to 'somebody' to expedite our refund/FCC's...still waiting.

Interesting information. Experiences seem to be widely varied.

We are booked on Noordam 10/12/2020 Japan cruise and waiting on inevitable cancellation. Japan Foreign Ministry is certainly not going to be allowing Gaijin (foreigners) in by October. They only recently relaxed on repatriating Japanese citizens from abroad.

I think the deadline for full payment of booking is sometime mid-August. The cynic in me wonders if they waiting until after that to get as much badly needed cash flow as possible. 😉 We are fully paid up, so I hope that if/when the cancellation occurs the usual 125% FCC is offered. We did book directly through HAL so no intermediaries involved.

I cleaned out my email over the weekend and found my FCC email for the cruise I had booked on Massdam before the ship was sold. The email was dated 7-23-2020 so a little more than 1 week to issue that FCC. I am all caught up on my 3 canceled cruises (2 HAL, 1 Princess).

Edited by AlanF65
  • Like 1

I filled out the form online and 3 days later the 7 cruises cancelled from the Maasdam were in my FCC account.

The WC was a bit longer March 24 got my FCC May 19.

How did you get 200% FCC??? All the offered online was 125%.

34 minutes ago, Lazy Lakes said:

I filled out the form online and 3 days later the 7 cruises cancelled from the Maasdam were in my FCC account.

The WC was a bit longer March 24 got my FCC May 19.

How did you get 200% FCC??? All the offered online was 125%.

The 200% FCC of the base fare already paid. No extra FCC for unpaid amounts, port fees or taxes. Does that make a difference?

On 8/3/2020 at 6:22 AM, Lido - Lanai said:

I suspect the problem is that you cancelled as opposed to waiting for HAL to cancel. I thought FCCs were only issued as compensation for an action HAL took ??? Perhaps an exception was made in your case, but certainly not the norm.

We cancelled our cruise & have finally received our FCCs as of yesterday.