MSC unveils health plan- readies 2 ships

BermudaBound2014

Not sure how similar/different AIDA and MSC plans are, but AIDA had to cancel scheduled cruises from Italy while they wait for the Italian government to approve their plan.  

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23324-aida-scraps-first-cruises-in-august.html

MSC states they can't sail from USA until the CDC approves the plan, and the CDC is collecting comments through September 21st, so there is no rush happening on this side of the pond either :(. 

Only allowed off at ports if on a MSC excursion.  Ive seen another line propose this too.  This really stinks unless MSC has the ability to offer at lot more excursions (both multiples of existing excursions and more variety).

• Like 1

That plan is a good start but the conditions aren't what I want to experience while on vacation.  I guess I just won't be a participant in the early stages of the cruise industry restart.  

Wondering what the "new" cruise experience will finally turn out to be like...

• Like 2

On 8/3/2020 at 6:43 PM, Av8tor said:

That plan is a good start but the conditions aren't what I want to experience while on vacation.  I guess I just won't be a participant in the early stages of the cruise industry restart.  

Wondering what the "new" cruise experience will finally turn out to be like...

My thoughts to, I am happy to let someone else be the Guinea pigs. I am hoping but not confident.

Glad to see a cruise line making some plans. I wouldn't be a fan of MSC shore excursions (like all cruise lines, too crowded and too expensive), but it is a good way to control where the passengers go. I was surprised at the high percentage of passengers too, but its a start. Lets hope all goes well.

Tony

1 hour ago, disneykins said:

I wouldn't be a fan of MSC shore excursions (like all cruise lines, too crowded and too expensive), but it is a good way to control where the passengers go. 

On the other hand, the number of guests on an excursion can be controlled so that they would not need to be too crowded.  Too expensive?  I don't think we have seen anything yet!

13 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

On the other hand, the number of guests on an excursion can be controlled so that they would not need to be too crowded.  Too expensive?  I don't think we have seen anything yet!

They mentioned bundle of 3 excursions being 100 euros so not too bad depending where they go.

5 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I liked his answer when he was asked if MSC could generate profits at 70% occupancy.  That has to be the short term goal of every cruise line currently.  

9 hours ago, kelleherdl said:

Complete refund....  refund word was used not FCC.  It was in the video with the CEO

Also heard that if you are taken off the ship after testing positive they will refund any remaining days, how long it will take would be anyone's guess.

I think the "denied boarding" or "debarked from the ship for testing positive" refund is contingent on purchasing the MSC COVID insurance.  CC article stated it was 18pp so not too bad.

MSC will offer passengers, as an optional add-on, COVID-19 protection insurance. Priced at 18 Euros per person, per cruise, this insurance covers passengers in the event they are denied boarding; have to cancel their cruise; or are stricken with coronavirus during the sailing. This insurance provides for a refund of the cruise fare and even transportation costs in order for passengers to quarantine at home, or to return home.

While not medical insurance per se, this coverage allows for European passengers to cruise with peace of mind that they will not be economically inconvenienced at any point in their journey. It is likely that when MSC resumes offering cruises for international passengers that similar insurance will be offered.

"It is comprehensive coverage which I believe will be very much appreciated by our guests," says Onorato.  "This insurance is quite affordable and covers numerous aspects."

Edited by Até

1 hour ago, Até said:

I think the "denied boarding" or "debarked from the ship for testing positive" refund is contingent on purchasing the MSC COVID insurance.  CC article stated it was 18pp so not too bad.

MSC will offer passengers, as an optional add-on, COVID-19 protection insurance. Priced at 18 Euros per person, per cruise, this insurance covers passengers in the event they are denied boarding; have to cancel their cruise; or are stricken with coronavirus during the sailing. This insurance provides for a refund of the cruise fare and even transportation costs in order for passengers to quarantine at home, or to return home.

While not medical insurance per se, this coverage allows for European passengers to cruise with peace of mind that they will not be economically inconvenienced at any point in their journey. It is likely that when MSC resumes offering cruises for international passengers that similar insurance will be offered.

"It is comprehensive coverage which I believe will be very much appreciated by our guests," says Onorato.  "This insurance is quite affordable and covers numerous aspects."

No brainer for me.  That is if it is offered to US departures.

The fact sheet I was sent yesterday now has different info re shore excursions 

SHORE EXCURSIONS
It is recommended that guests go ashore with an MSC Cruises Shore Excursion, as they will follow the same high standards of health and safety as on board.

3 hours ago, little britain said:

The fact sheet I was sent yesterday now has different info re shore excursions

There seems to be two versions of that Health & Safety Factsheet.  One has an additional page specific to the first Grandiosa, and possibly Magnifica, sailings and it limits passengers to MSC excursions.  The CC article I quoted above mentions all regular cabins will get at least one excursion included and can purchase three more for €100.  Yacht Club cabins will come with five excursions, one in each port.

GRANDIOSA_Health-Safety_Factsheet.pdf Generic Health_Safety_Factsheet.pdf

Edited by Até