Equinox Vs Other “S” Class Ships

JerseyGirlatHeart

Since ships aren’t sailing anytime soon, thought I ask a question I’d been wondering about for awhile.  We have sailed every ”S”  Class ship with the exception of the Equinox, which we intend to remedy in Jan 2022, and every ship has been slightly different.  What are the differences on the Equinox, and did you like her better?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JerseyGirlatHeart said:

Since ships aren’t sailing anytime soon, thought I ask a question I’d been wondering about for awhile.  We have sailed every ”S”  Class ship with the exception of the Equinox, which we intend to remedy in Jan 2022, and every ship has been slightly different.  What are the differences on the Equinox, and did you like her better?

With the exception of Reflection, they are pretty much the same except the decor.  Equinox did turn the Cellar Master into a gastropub.  The deck plans are all the same except Reflection which added an additional deck.  Silhouette doesn't have the hot glass show but does have the Porch and Lawn Club Grill.  There are some other subtle differences, but all the stateroom deck plans are pretty much the same.  🍷

• Like 2

Equinox has the hot glass show but no Lawn Club Grill or Porch restaurants.  I'm pretty sure the modified revolution added additional seating in the lawn area adjacent to the Sunset Bar. The Passport Bar was reconfigured a  with new tables and chairs. As mentioned, Cellar Masters is now a Gastro Pub with TV screens. This was the only thing we disliked about the revolution. Your sea pass will be in the mail slot outside of your cabin.

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU
  • Like 1

Equinox actually got the GastroPub in 2014 during that dry dock.  It got Slush at the same time.  

EQ had a partial revolution in early 2019.  Only partial because of the incident with the crane in the Bahamas.  She received the Suite Retreat makeover in Michaels Club, part of the retreat update to the Solstice Deck, but not the elevator or hot tub on the Suite Retreat deck that was formerly the Solstice Deck.

We were on her in December 2019 and she was in great condition.  

• Like 1

Actually there is no glass "show" as such. This was changed a couple of years ago to Hollywood Hot Glass classes. I've hung around the glass classes a few times, but there really wasn't much to observe. YMMV  I prefer the  Gastro Pub to the Cellar Masters. CM seemed pretty dead on Reflection in Feb. There is the Retreat front deck for suites only on Equinox, but it wasn't finished out during the EQ refurb last year so it is quite hot, little shade and no water feature or bar. Not a big plus for suites in my opinion. Yet I love everything else about EQ and prefer her over either RF or SL. We are sorry to miss some of the crew we have met on previous EQ cruises.  As mentioned above there is no Porch or Lawn Club Grill on  EQ as that space is where the hot glass classes are located. We very much enjoyed a few lunches at Sushi on 5, especially since several times there was a 30% discount for Elite and above. And there is plenty to eat besides sushi!

Edited by 39august

We were on Equinox last September, it seems a life time ago now!

As previously mentioned Equinox had a part refurbishment but to be honest she looked pretty much as we remembered her prior to the refurb! Michael’s had become the Retreat and there was a suite deck but without the water feature and bar Silhouette now has. Some rooms, but not all, had been refurbished. Service throughout the ship was very good and in the speciality restaurants was exceptional.

One of the differences we used to enjoy on S class ships was that some of them (Equinox and Solstice if I remember rightly) had a restaurant called Silk Harvest. All now gone to LPC.

OP if you have enjoyed other S class ships you won’t be disappointed with Equinox. However, I do agree with others that the addition of the Porch and Lawn Grill give Silhouette and Reflection an edge...

2 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Equinox has the hot glass show but no Lawn Club Grill or Porch restaurants.  I'm pretty sure the modified revolution added additional seating in the lawn area adjacent to the Sunset Bar. The Passport Bar was reconfigured a  with new tables and chairs. As mentioned, Cellar Masters is now a Gastro Pub with TV screens. This was the only thing we disliked about the revolution. Your sea pass will be in the mail slot outside of your cabin.

Without Lawn Club and the Porch, were Tuscan, Murano, Sushi on 5, and Quisane the only Specialty restaurants?

Edited by JerseyGirlatHeart

2 hours ago, Algebralovr said:

Equinox actually got the GastroPub in 2014 during that dry dock.  It got Slush at the same time.  

EQ had a partial revolution in early 2019.  Only partial because of the incident with the crane in the Bahamas.  She received the Suite Retreat makeover in Michaels Club, part of the retreat update to the Solstice Deck, but not the elevator or hot tub on the Suite Retreat deck that was formerly the Solstice Deck.

We were on her in December 2019 and she was in great condition.  

What is Slush and is GastroPub a speciality restaurant?

52 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I love the Equinox because the cabins haven't yet been Hoppenized.  Unfortunately she got her hands on the Retreat, which I found to be cold and sterile and providing absolutely no service.  So just didn't go there.  Luminae was excellent.

We have booked AQ, so won’t get to use Luminae or The Retreat.  Thanks for info on partial refurb of The Retreat on Equinox, when we book our next Suite, we will steer clear of The Equinox until they get the refurb complete.

Slush is a bar near the outdoor pool that is open on a limited basis for sweet alcoholic drink specials. Gasrto Pub is a pub. You can order some limited snacks such as wings, but only after 5 PM and have to pay for them. I have been on EQ several times and as yet have never seen anyone eating there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JerseyGirlatHeart said:

Without Lawn Club and the Porch, were Tuscan, Murano, Sushi on 5, and Quisane the only Specialty restaurants?

The specialty restaurants are Murano, Tuscan Grill, Sushi on 5 and Le Petit Chef. 

8 hours ago, Wine-O said:

With the exception of Reflection, they are pretty much the same except the decor.  Equinox did turn the Cellar Master into a gastropub.  The deck plans are all the same except Reflection which added an additional deck.  Silhouette doesn't have the hot glass show but does have the Porch and Lawn Club Grill.  There are some other subtle differences, but all the stateroom deck plans are pretty much the same.  🍷

Actually, the Reflection did not add another deck.

Rather, they converted the decks:

- moved the jogging track, Mast Grill and Mast Bar from the Lido (14) Deck to the Lawn (15) Deck

- moved the pools and Solarium from the Resort (12) Deck to the Lido (14) Deck

- cut some space out of the Sky Observation Lounge and added 6 suite cabins to the Lido (14) Deck

- added mucho cabins to the Resort (12) Deck in the space where the pools and Solarium used to be

So the Resort (12) Deck on Reflection contains only cabins and the Spa & Fitness Center

Edited by NantahalaCruiser