The end for Carnival Fascination?

BigAl94

We sailed on Fascination several times when she was in Jacksonville and they were some of our favorite cruises, so this is very sad to see. That being said, CCL getting rid of the Fantasy class ships is not surprising. I just hope that CCL realizes that not everyone wants to sail on Monstrosity of the Seas type ships and can come up with a creative solution. I personally prefer smaller ships that allow you to meet and actually get to know more crew and passengers. I do sail on the bigger ships but I find that the atmosphere with 5,000 people is not what I prefer in cruising.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bonnys said:

We sailed on Fascination several times when she was in Jacksonville and they were some of our favorite cruises, so this is very sad to see. That being said, CCL getting rid of the Fantasy class ships is not surprising. I just hope that CCL realizes that not everyone wants to sail on Monstrosity of the Seas type ships and can come up with a creative solution. I personally prefer smaller ships that allow you to meet and actually get to know more crew and passengers. I do sail on the bigger ships but I find that the atmosphere with 5,000 people is not what I prefer in cruising.

We had a great time on the small Fascination and an even better time on the even smaller former Ocean Princess.

Our one megaship was the NCL Epic, which was by far the unfriendliest ship we were ever on. It seem the less people on a ship, the more people you get to actually meet and get to know.

Yes, as some of you posted, I have been blessed at my age of over 70, to have done off/on over 25 some years of cruising.  While doing this, I have been on small/medium, and large ships.  I do find as some have stated, you can really get to know (this is "IF" you want to) other passengers better, as sometimes keep in touch years later, as well as getting to know the crew better. Someone mentioned the NCL, and I'm sure there are people on here that like that line, but we were on the NCL brand new ship, and to say the least..............I never heard/seen so much complaining about that ship , while we were on the ship, as well as many on the same airline talking about NOT wanting to do it any more!  It may be fine now, but when we were on this ship, one thing was that there was very little to do to keep us interested! 😞 Whether I choose to do something or not is MY choice, but I like to be able to HAVE those choices! 🙂

It's always a little bit emotional to see these ships go if you have some kind of attachment to them, but life is always evolving and changing in some way.  We accept it and move on.

The Fascination holds a very special spot in my heart.  My first cruise was on the Fascination in 1995 out of San Juan.  My dining room waiter was Jose from Costa Rica.  He became my husband in 1997 and we have been married 23 years now!  So the Fascination played match maker for us and I'll always hold her dearly in my heart!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, dezertcruzer said:

It's always a little bit emotional to see these ships go if you have some kind of attachment to them, but life is always evolving and changing in some way.  We accept it and move on.

The Fascination holds a very special spot in my heart.  My first cruise was on the Fascination in 1995 out of San Juan.  My dining room waiter was Jose from Costa Rica.  He became my husband in 1997 and we have been married 23 years now!  So the Fascination played match maker for us and I'll always hold her dearly in my heart!

What a great story! Thank you for sharing. And congrats to y’all on 23 years!!

9 hours ago, dezertcruzer said:

The Fascination holds a very special spot in my heart.  My first cruise was on the Fascination in 1995 out of San Juan.  

We sailed the Fascination that year as well.  If memory serves, it had just taken over the route from the Tropicale, and it was SO overpriced (the fare was half the following year) but we wanted to do that run. Loved boarding early and then getting back off the ship and touring the city.

Stops were great, and included that stop in Caracus, Venezuela.  But it was SO exhausting.  I remember thinking I needed a vacation after getting off.

It will be sad to know she will no longer be.   

11 hours ago, dezertcruzer said:

You must have given him quite a tip!😉

Although I like some "other" cruise lines, and the Fascination is gone forever, I hope that Carnival will eventually come up with a ship going to St. Lucia, when/if it is open, as I prefer Carnival, as that is MY opinion, and I am NOT one of those people that booze or drink! What I'm trying to say is I can have FUN without doing that!

• Like 2

Just now, beshears said:

Although I like some "other" cruise lines, and the Fascination is gone forever, I hope that Carnival will eventually come up with a ship going to St. Lucia, when/if it is open, as I prefer Carnival, as that is MY opinion, and I am NOT one of those people that booze or drink! What I'm trying to say is I can have FUN without doing that!

The port won't be dropped and it'll appear from time to time. No worries.

I have thought about the all inclusive with my youngest son and wife do ing this for themselves, but I "enjoy" stopping at the other ports as well.  I really didn't want to stay there for several days, as I have used a good touring company for the two times I went, and they were more than GREAT for the price I paid, and I would have paid more, as it was worth every penny for everything we seen/done!

• Like 1

On 8/14/2020 at 3:09 PM, BigAl94 said:

117852638_10158316808518190_5246194483946992001_o.jpg

Lots of great memories on Fantasy class ships, but I agree it’s time to let them go. While these ships may hold a special place in a lot of people’s hearts, and they have offered many passengers an affordable way to cruise, they are no longer representative of today’s Carnival.

By the way, our last Carnival Cruise was aboard the Fantasy in 2019, and even then it already looked all rusted out like the Fascination does on this photo. And that was a few weeks after a drydock where the smokestack got a new paint job, but not the rest of the ship. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 1

I like the fantasy class ships because they offer serenity off the rear... Serenity off the top is just garbage.. Blaring music from lido and the kids running up to the slide.

I'm not an old curmudgeon, but when I go to serenity I want quiet and peace, the fantasy class ships are the only ones that offer that.. 

Side note - does anyone know how much scrappers pay for ships?

8 minutes ago, FiremedicMike151 said:

I like the fantasy class ships because they offer serenity off the rear... Serenity off the top is just garbage.. Blaring music from lido and the kids running up to the slide.

I'm not an old curmudgeon, but when I go to serenity I want quiet and peace, the fantasy class ships are the only ones that offer that.. 

Side note - does anyone know how much scrappers pay for ships?

You might like Spirit class ships. It’s estimated that Carnival’s Fantasy class ships were each worth $7 million to the scrapyard.

48 minutes ago, FiremedicMike151 said:

They may have been removed but are still in possession of Carnival Cruise Line apart from Fantasy and Inspiration. 

On 8/15/2020 at 3:14 PM, BlerkOne said:

I'm pretty sure alcoholics prefer Royal and a loyalty program that rewards frequent cruisers with nightly binge drinking.

Royal should be starting to scrap ships in the near future.

They have already scrapped Monarch and Sovereign

Sad, when the Fascination was in Jax we took a TON of trips on her. 

I loved the owners suite on that class of ship and the perks that came with it. On one of her last sailings from Jax before she was sent to San Juan we got the call, SO glad we did that!