MSC cruise starts up, what cruise line next?

oracer

Great to see Europe is getting back to cruising with a big ship going out of Italy this past weekend.  Great to see, hopefully the week will be filled with great stories and the start of something close to normalcy.   I agree that it will take some time, but has to start somewhere.  Italy is a start, hopefully others will follow soon.   Looks like the river cruises are starting up as well.   

Thinking positive as we get through the end of the summer and start of fall.   If we can get all things in place, 2021 won't come soon enough.

• Like 3

TUI cruises is already sailing since end of June for german passengers.Meanwhile several different routes in the baltic sea and norwegian fjords. So far without port stops, but they are also sailing the creek isles from september on with two port stops.(no individual excoursions possible,leaving ship only possible on excoursion booked via cruise line)

AIDA(the second big cruise line for german passengers) also starts in September.

So with TUI,AIDA,MSC and as far as i remember also Costa we do have already 4 cruise lines sailing again in September.

I don`t understand why the US cruise lines (RCCL, NCL,celebrity) don`t try to offer cruises in Europe for european passengers. this would be a good opportunty to have some earnings, get a lot of PR and maybe even increasing their market share in the future.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, oracer said:

Great to see Europe is getting back to cruising with a big ship going out of Italy this past weekend.  Great to see, hopefully the week will be filled with great stories and the start of something close to normalcy.   I agree that it will take some time, but has to start somewhere.  Italy is a start, hopefully others will follow soon.   Looks like the river cruises are starting up as well.   

Thinking positive as we get through the end of the summer and start of fall.   If we can get all things in place, 2021 won't come soon enough.

Thank you, well said!

5 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

If you if have a fever or test positive on boarding day do you get your money back?

Read the guidelines on the MSC site, I believe they will refund you what you've paid and arrange to get you back home.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Read the guidelines on the MSC site, I believe they will refund you what you've paid and arrange to get you back home.

I just don't see that working in the US. Too many selfish people. I can hear people screaming about how their is something wrong with the thermometer, something wrong with the test. This would all have to be done prior to checking luggage. Can you imagine the cluster puck of trying to find the luggage of a few dozen people who have tested positive and are now refused boarding?

Not to mention the added room and time required at the terminal to do this.

Edited by Laszlo
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

I just don't see that working in the US. Too many selfish people. I can hear people screaming about how their is something wrong with the thermometer, something wrong with the test. This would all have to be done prior to checking luggage. Can you imagine the cluster puck of trying to find the luggage of a few dozen people who have tested positive and are now refused boarding?

The guidelines I was referring to apply to European sailings, for now. I have no idea if/when they will apply to US ones. I don't work for MSC so I don't feel like it's appropriate for me to criticize or defend their actions.

59 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

The guidelines I was referring to apply to European sailings, for now. I have no idea if/when they will apply to US ones. I don't work for MSC so I don't feel like it's appropriate for me to criticize or defend their actions.

I'm not defending or criticizing anything. I'm just saying in real world USA I don't see it happening, the logistics at the terminal would be crazy. They are not taking temp checks before getting on a plane. I can see the outrage now if that were to happen. Americans are used to being able to do what they want when they want. Their is a good reason that with only 4% of the worlds population the US has 25% of the worlds cases😉

1 hour ago, Laszlo said:

I'm not defending or criticizing anything. I'm just saying in real world USA I don't see it happening, the logistics at the terminal would be crazy. They are not taking temp checks before getting on a plane. I can see the outrage now if that were to happen. Americans are used to being able to do what they want when they want. Their is a good reason that with only 4% of the worlds population the US has 25% of the worlds cases😉

"I'm not defending or criticizing anything."

No, other than implying that all Americans are selfish jerks. LOL 🤣

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Your correct LOL

Happened to visit your YouTube channel and saw your video on the SS United States. One of my good friends helms the SS United States foundation and another friend had a relative who worked on her back in the day. (Apologies to OP for momentarily going off topic)

• Like 1

Just now, DCGuy64 said:

Happened to visit your YouTube channel and saw your video on the SS United States. One of my good friends helms the SS United States foundation and another friend had a relative who worked on her back in the day. (Apologies to OP for momentarily going off topic)

I've been trying to get aboard for years. Gave up after finding out you only get on after a big donation 

21 hours ago, Laszlo said:

I can tell you that the temperature checks and prescreening worked very well for boarding the MSC Armonia in March in Miami.

The temperature scanners were set up after the check in counter. Passengers proceeded up to the line trwo by two (two scanners) for a infra red temperature scan. We later found out on board the scanners were set to alert at 99.5 F. Also by the scanners were medical staff to immediately assess anyone who set the alarm off and also to eyeball everyone for any outward signs of illness (for example, the glassy eyes that even a temper lowering dose of acetaminophen can't change). 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

I can tell you that the temperature checks and prescreening worked very well for boarding the MSC Armonia in March in Miami.

The temperature scanners were set up after the check in counter. Passengers proceeded up to the line trwo by two (two scanners) for a infra red temperature scan. We later found out on board the scanners were set to alert at 99.5 F. Also by the scanners were medical staff to immediately assess anyone who set the alarm off and also to eyeball everyone for any outward signs of illness (for example, the glassy eyes that even a temper lowering dose of acetaminophen can't change). 

Thats good to hear, I'm not questioning the scanners and machines in place. I just see a riot happening is a couple dozen people are not allowed to board. If the cruise lines go with a system like that they are going to have to make it crystal clear if you have a temp you will not be able to board. Imagine being a family of 4, 5, 6 people. Everyone clears except for Dad or the youngest child. Thats going to be a tough pill to swallow

4 hours ago, Laszlo said:

....Imagine being a family of 4, 5, 6 people. Everyone clears except for Dad or the youngest child. Thats going to be a tough pill to swallow

They'll sell them some water, to help swallow that pill. 🤣

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Noworkforme23 said:

Dang. 99.5F, I am probably that every day with hot flashes/ menopause. I better drink a lot of ice water before my temperature check to get my body temperature down or I will be denied boarding only if/for a hot flash. 😩😊

I guess you missed the part about the medical staff being there to assess anyone setting off the alarm.

I am pretty sure medical personnel are familiar with menopause and the effects on the body.

The videos of the interview of people on the ship checking-in, gym, pool, dining area, etc... look very similar to what I see in our Phase 1 opening here.   

Funny everyone except when eating, swimming have masks.   Looks like something I'd do.

I think sailing from places where positive testing is < 1% is a good, won't be happening in the US anytime soon, LOL

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2020 at 1:22 PM, CruiseMH said:

I don`t understand why the US cruise lines (RCCL, NCL,celebrity) don`t try to offer cruises in Europe for european passengers. this would be a good opportunty to have some earnings, get a lot of PR and maybe even increasing their market share in the future.

Because, with the exception of MSC, I believe, all the cruises are either cruises to nowhere, or cruises with ports only in one country.  Therefore, under the EU's cabotage laws, similar to the US's PVSA, these cruises are limited to ships flying the flag of EU member nations.  If MSC's cruises to multiple EU nations work out, then and only then can Bahamian and Panamanian flag ships be used on these routes.

• Like 2

On 8/19/2020 at 9:30 AM, Laszlo said:

Thats good to hear, I'm not questioning the scanners and machines in place. I just see a riot happening is a couple dozen people are not allowed to board. If the cruise lines go with a system like that they are going to have to make it crystal clear if you have a temp you will not be able to board. Imagine being a family of 4, 5, 6 people. Everyone clears except for Dad or the youngest child. Thats going to be a tough pill to swallow

Pre-COVID, maybe; post covid. I don't see this being a big issue. As stated, first if they use temperature checks it will be a temperature check plus a medical screenings if you have a fever. If Dad and youngest check have fevers, then that should and will be investigated. And I do think testing will also take place, at least for dad and child, if not for everyone boarding. So it won't be someone who was overheated for 5 minutes walking away, it will be someone with a postive covid test and/or fever plus coughing and shortness of breath. And once someone in the family has a positive test, the entire family will be denied boarding. Yes, it will be a tough pill to swallow. And why I won't book a cruise now. I do think that prior to cruises actually restarting you will get a detailed list of the rules and testing procedures, and will have to agree to it before you can do an online check in.  So this shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone when they board. 

5 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Because, with the exception of MSC, I believe, all the cruises are either cruises to nowhere, or cruises with ports only in one country.  Therefore, under the EU's cabotage laws, similar to the US's PVSA, these cruises are limited to ships flying the flag of EU member nations.  If MSC's cruises to multiple EU nations work out, then and only then can Bahamian and Panamanian flag ships be used on these routes.

thanks for the info. I didn`t have the cabotage laws imind. Well,in general there are the cabotage laws, but the cruise lines could ask for an exception in the country they want to cruise in/at. If Costa gets the exception for Italy,why shouldn`t the US lines get any as well? There are almost no differences regarding nationality of 95 % of the crew and other important factors.

Also it would be an option to make it one country(e.g. Italy) and one additional stop in Malta or Corfu or Ajaccio. Then it would be an multi-nations cruise. Greece has opend some of its ports and Italy has as well.So it should work.

But i can understand that it is extremely complicated and many cruise lines don`t want to put too much efforts in such planning.

But in case cruises from US ports are not possible for a longer period they have to think about this option.