Where was I?

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thank you.

I'm starting to run out of pictures here, I feel like a herring in a school of Chinook Salmon.

Let's see if I can find something interesting.P1010343.thumb.JPG.1806ad2780cddd0fc4fdc8e86449577c.JPG

A great (or great great) uncle was killed at Polygon Wood.

28 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

A great (or great great) uncle was killed at Polygon Wood.

I looked that up and that was probably another part of the many battles around this town which was leveled during that war. It was interesting to look at the dates on the buildings and hear the story about how the town was rebuilt.

5 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I looked that up and that was probably another part of the many battles around this town which was leveled during that war. It was interesting to look at the dates on the buildings and hear the story about how the town was rebuilt.

It was the 3rd battle.

As with so many thousands, his remains were never found. His name is inscribed on the Menin Gate. 

8 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thank you.

I'm starting to run out of pictures here, I feel like a herring in a school of Chinook Salmon.

Let's see if I can find something interesting.P1010343.thumb.JPG.1806ad2780cddd0fc4fdc8e86449577c.JPG

Ypres, Belgium.

5 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

The original construction plans of the town were located and town rebuilt to spec. Great museum there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

It was the 3rd battle.

As with so many thousands, his remains were never found. His name is inscribed on the Menin Gate. 

Been there it is a moving place Last post is incredible. I did take note of the ANZAC section. And I looked for but didn't find the name of Alexis Helmer who's death inspired Colonel John McCrea to write "In Flanders Fields"

1 minute ago, Blackduck59 said:

Been there it is a moving place Last post is incredible. I did take note of the ANZAC section. And I looked for but didn't find the name of Alexis Helmer who's death inspired Colonel John McCrea to write "In Flanders Fields"

So, Sir Lyle, Esquire, am I correct with Ypres? 

3 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Ypres, Belgium.

Absolutely correct Les, Ypres was sort of an after thought on our way to Amsterdam I'm so glad we stayed overnight there. I stumbled across a group of British Sea Cadets who were there to lay wreaths at the Last Post in Mennen Gate.

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I'll stand you a nice tot next year if you can name the building 🥃

Ha, ha, you are on, young Lyle.  The Cloth Hall, with Flanders Field Museum, therein. we did that tour from Zeebrugge.