Picture-A-Week 2020 - Week 35

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, August 24 and Sunday, August 30.

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

22 hours ago, ski ww said:

For a nice refreshing drink if you like rum you might try this. It was served to Royal Navy sailors daily until 31 July 1970. The "tot" was 1/8 imperial pint.

DSC_9720.JPG

My father served in the Royal Australian Navy during WWII.  He always referred to the sailors and the navy as pusssers.

On Saturday, we finally reaped some of the benefits of all the work we have put into our backyard entertainment area and hosted a brunch for the August birthday girls. We spent a fair amount of time planning the menu with a goal of providing something for everyone’s tastes while keeping the overall volume within the limits of the serving area. Once the items were chosen and the presentation planned, Kim worked her magic and the game was on. Two kinds of gravy for the biscuits, Eggs Benedict, home-cured smoked ham, sausage, cheesy eggs, waffles and a pastry tray were laid out with just enough room left for the fruit bowl pictured here. Except we had no bowl. As you can see, we made do with what nature provided and the result was photo-worthy.

Fruit Art

p3969884833-5.jpg

Dave

Edited by pierces
  • Like 3

The weekly wetlands update - one more visit to Peaceful Waters, the western wetlands at the edge of the Everglades this Saturday.  Beginning next week, I'll finally be able to return to one of my 'regular' wetlands spots which will be re-opening - it closed back in November for repairs to the nature center roof, and then never got to reopen because of Covid...but finally have decided to try a re-opening.

It's been great having an alternative spot to go wildlife shooting though, so credit to Peaceful Waters for staying open, and for some pretty good and surprising spottings over the past few months!  Here's what I saw Saturday:

A great sighting and surprise for me - a lovely killdeer standing on the levee - I haven't shot one of these in years:

original.jpg

A tricolor heron hunting in the shallow water:

original.jpg

The black-bellied whistling ducks are still churning out ducklings - this was a new batch:

original.jpg

The wood ducks are still around - this one was resting on a concrete drain pipe enclosure:

original.jpg

The moment this raccoon and I spotted eachother:

original.jpg

A lovely solitary sandpiper standing quite close:

original.jpg

I had this sneaking suspicion and feeling like I was being followed.  It had been about 20 minutes of occasional crunching leaves and darting shadows behind me - so I rounded a corner from one levee to another and turned with my camera ready to see if indeed I was being followed.  Sure enough, out popped the shadow, caught in the act:

original.jpg

Surely hoping I'd drop some food along the way, or stir something up, the very same raccoon spotted 20 minutes before had decided to fall in behind me and follow me down the levees.  He looks rather guilty, don't you think?

• Like 4

On 8/31/2020 at 4:31 AM, zackiedawg said:

The weekly wetlands update - one more visit to Peaceful Waters, the western wetlands at the edge of the Everglades this Saturday.  Beginning next week, I'll finally be able to return to one of my 'regular' wetlands spots which will be re-opening - it closed back in November for repairs to the nature center roof, and then never got to reopen because of Covid...but finally have decided to try a re-opening.

It's been great having an alternative spot to go wildlife shooting though, so credit to Peaceful Waters for staying open, and for some pretty good and surprising spottings over the past few months!  Here's what I saw Saturday:

A great sighting and surprise for me - a lovely killdeer standing on the levee - I haven't shot one of these in years:

original.jpg

A tricolor heron hunting in the shallow water:

original.jpg

The black-bellied whistling ducks are still churning out ducklings - this was a new batch:

original.jpg

The wood ducks are still around - this one was resting on a concrete drain pipe enclosure:

original.jpg

The moment this raccoon and I spotted eachother:

original.jpg

A lovely solitary sandpiper standing quite close:

original.jpg

I had this sneaking suspicion and feeling like I was being followed.  It had been about 20 minutes of occasional crunching leaves and darting shadows behind me - so I rounded a corner from one levee to another and turned with my camera ready to see if indeed I was being followed.  Sure enough, out popped the shadow, caught in the act:

original.jpg

Surely hoping I'd drop some food along the way, or stir something up, the very same raccoon spotted 20 minutes before had decided to fall in behind me and follow me down the levees.  He looks rather guilty, don't you think?

Finally got out for a National Park and took my D5, V3 and iPhone XS.  Was going to do a side by side shoot off, quickly left everthing but the phone in the lodge.

Sadly with the many wildfires made for totally hazy shooting, didn't matter if you had an iPhone or the latest mirrorless and expensive big glass, LOL

F60270D2-6348-4D66-AF90-453993A8A8FF.jpeg

31A5F73E-980D-45E0-B1FC-B1BAD84E8868.jpeg

F68A9D4D-D36E-4677-9219-21C889B91B12.jpeg

42E0F9AC-A3AD-4D50-B843-FC8D3E2433ED.jpeg

2EAA8B44-6638-4983-AE10-255C8FC0121C.jpeg

Edited by chipmaster
  • Like 3