Boarding Times Delayed on Harmony

For those thinking that rapid testing is possible in the US, unfortunately, you are mistaken. The FDA has not approved any rapid test under the EUA. There is a "rapid" test being used by the NBA that takes 10-15 minutes (still not approved by the FDA in the US). The difference is that NBA is in a controlled environment and the people in that bubble. The CDC won't accept it if it is not approved by the FDA. It is not practical with an uncontrolled population. To isolate people from mass groupings of others while waiting for a 10 minute test result is impractical as well. In order for cruises to begin in the US without a vaccine, you will need...

1. FDA approved rapid test. Rapid being in the matter of seconds versus minutes. There are companies out there that have this now and success rates are in the 80th percentile which is better than the lab results from deep nose swab. 
  2. Crowd control managed outside of the port. You cannot enter the port area prior to your boarding time. That means turning all vehicles away prior. If your boarding pass says 1:30PM and you arrive at 1:25PM, you are turned away from entering the port. Go to the back of the line and try again.
  3. Crowd control history: how did you get to the area (plane, drive, etc), where did you stay, what method of transportation did you use, who was on it. That type of information will be tracked. We flew on United flight 872. Oh, someone on Flight 872 was positive for covid, you are banned from boarding. We took the RCL shuttle from FLL at 1PM. Oh, someone on the 1PM shuttle from FLL tested positive, you are all banned from boarding. Then you will have people lying: We drove straight from Alaska for our cruise out of Miami, no hotels, no restaurants, no shuttles, etc. 
  4. Temperature checks. People will be popping Tylenol at night, ibuprofen early morning, and then another Tylenol about an hour before their boarding time. More than enough to suppress a fever temporarily. They will use cool towels to lower body temperature as well. Standing in hot and humid temps raises the body temp of people naturally. If a person's normal body temp is 99.4 and the heat and humidity causes another 1 degee, then they would be denied boarding. Yeah, $1 in over the counters and a cool towel will save an expensive vacation from being ruined. 

8 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

In order for cruises to begin in the US without a vaccine, you will need...

Neither RCI nor CDC know that yet, though RCI's health panel should have its recommendations soon.

Edited by Biker19

Cdc on its website did a reversal saying if you have no symptoms you do not need testing. People are saying this will contribute to the spread. Big reversal. Cdc seems to be taking a less harsh stance lately, lifting  travel restrictions etc.

Might be more hope for cruising.. or not if spread increases. I dont think any of know what to expect post covid cruises. By october we should start having news of vaccines coming which also could change things.

1 hour ago, kruzinkel said:

My Indy sailing on November 4th shows my check in time as 11-1130. 

Guess we will see

That's interesting, were the times to board listed as every 30 minutes. Does it tell you to arrive at least 2 hours before?

4 minutes ago, Vera/Lee said:

That's interesting, were the times to board listed as every 30 minutes. Does it tell you to arrive at least 2 hours before?

The times given by RCI are for check in, not boarding. Boarding can happen at any time once checked in and boarding has started.  This may or may not stay the same once sailings resume. 

18 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I Love your Photo!

How MSC is working it with their current sailings and reserved time slots for all passengers boarding and performing rapid salvia tests seems to be working smoothly so far.    Just takes people to have patience and not be pushy.

And hope they don't add to delays by not having set sail pass with them.  😉 

38 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

The times given by RCI are for check in, not boarding. Boarding can happen at any time once checked in and boarding has started.  This may or may not stay the same once sailings resume. 

On my upcoming cruises page, I see a place to click on that says: View boarding pass / Edit check-in and under that it says: Please arrive no less than 2 hours before your scheduled boardings.

18 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I think you are referring to the family last week that deviated from a sponsored tour and was denied boarding. 

I am referring to another group that arrived at port on a shuttle bus / van (possibly from airport or train station) and had a total of 16 people on the van that were going to board the ship.     1 person tested positive and all 16 people were denied boarding.     Imagine that you just rode to the port with a complete stranger and find out you are denied boarding because you had close contact with him and may be infected.    Now you are angry and worried.   MSC did the right thing by denying all of the right to board.    It's nice to see they are strictly enforcing rules.   

Definitely another reason to use a solo taxi.  😉 

1 hour ago, Vera/Lee said:

i really don't remember- i usually pick the earliest boarding offered.  for this cruise (in theory), i am flying in the day before and staying nearby (in theory).  i just looked again at additional times and there is the 11am that i have and then no other times listed until 130.  

10 hours ago, bigrednole said:

For those thinking that rapid testing is possible in the US, unfortunately, you are mistaken. The FDA has not approved any rapid test under the EUA. There is a "rapid" test being used by the NBA that takes 10-15 minutes (still not approved by the FDA in the US). The difference is that NBA is in a controlled environment and the people in that bubble. The CDC won't accept it if it is not approved by the FDA. It is not practical with an uncontrolled population. To isolate people from mass groupings of others while waiting for a 10 minute test result is impractical as well. In order for cruises to begin in the US without a vaccine, you will need...

1. FDA approved rapid test. Rapid being in the matter of seconds versus minutes. There are companies out there that have this now and success rates are in the 80th percentile which is better than the lab results from deep nose swab. 
  2. Crowd control managed outside of the port. You cannot enter the port area prior to your boarding time. That means turning all vehicles away prior. If your boarding pass says 1:30PM and you arrive at 1:25PM, you are turned away from entering the port. Go to the back of the line and try again.
  3. Crowd control history: how did you get to the area (plane, drive, etc), where did you stay, what method of transportation did you use, who was on it. That type of information will be tracked. We flew on United flight 872. Oh, someone on Flight 872 was positive for covid, you are banned from boarding. We took the RCL shuttle from FLL at 1PM. Oh, someone on the 1PM shuttle from FLL tested positive, you are all banned from boarding. Then you will have people lying: We drove straight from Alaska for our cruise out of Miami, no hotels, no restaurants, no shuttles, etc. 
  4. Temperature checks. People will be popping Tylenol at night, ibuprofen early morning, and then another Tylenol about an hour before their boarding time. More than enough to suppress a fever temporarily. They will use cool towels to lower body temperature as well. Standing in hot and humid temps raises the body temp of people naturally. If a person's normal body temp is 99.4 and the heat and humidity causes another 1 degee, then they would be denied boarding. Yeah, $1 in over the counters and a cool towel will save an expensive vacation from being ruined. 

I suggest you view the various videos that are posted on the MSC forum.    That will explain the boarding process and how efficient it is running for them while testing every passenger.    Just need people to follow instructions and have patience as well as faith.

Temperature checks are pointless anyway.   My normal temperature is 96.3 so if I am at 98.6 then I have a fever but that would show as normal to others.    Like you said standing outside in the heat will impact temperature.    The cruises that have begun in europe will take temperatures but are not focused solely on that.      Like Dr. Faunci said a couple weeks ago.   He was outside in the heat and humidity and his temp was 103 when someone checked him but he knew he was fine.     

It is possible that the cruise lines will not allow passengers onboard that come from states with high case numbers.   Possible they will  only allow passengers that live within the same state (or general area) of the cruise port when sailings first start off.       Just like they are doing in Europe.    

A little positive thinking goes a long way....

1 minute ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I suggest you view the various videos that are posted on the MSC forum.    That will explain the boarding process and how efficient it is running for them while testing every passenger.    

You may also need to look at what the CDC is requiring at the US ports. You can say everything you want about ports in other countries. However, the CDC is not going to allow cruising until there are accepted terms on how covid cases will be funded if a ship is permitted to return to port. There are financial and quarantine procedures. Until they have agreement with that, the cruises will not sail.

9 hours ago, Vera/Lee said:

Please arrive no less than 2 hours before your scheduled boardings.

What they mean there is show up at least two hours before scheduled sailing time. I assume they may start turning away folks who show up before their scheduled check in time (might be wake up call for those that always ignored it), but they are not going to turn you away if you are late.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2020 at 9:31 AM, Sunshine3601 said:

Sorry I had a typo it was 15 people from the shuttle/van that were denied boarding because the 16th person had tested positive twice.  Imo MSC did the right thing by not letting those that had exposure to an infected person but feel bad for those denied.

All the more reason to drive yourself to port and not use shuttle buses or other mass transportation.

I agree that was the right thing to do and I'm happy that it was publicized and not covered up. However, this is just another reason that I won't cruise until this virus is under control.  I can't imagine all of the planning and traveling to port if you have to fly only to be turned away.