Silversea Moon TransAtlantic?

larry1365

Just had the news my Transatlantic reversal crossing to yours Stumblefoot has been cancelled..... So thats 3 gone for me now. (17 March from Fort Lauderdale to Barcelona)

On the plus side, my Venetian sail count is now over 100 days. 😉 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rosepark said:

And mine too, Les, April Ft to Lisbon as mentioned on another thread.

Rp

Haha.... yes I saw... I'd just replied too!

At this rate, my Venetian sail days will reach a free cruise booking with all the cancellations! lol

• Haha 1

On 11/9/2020 at 3:44 PM, Stumblefoot said:

I was a bit melancholy yesterday as it was supposed to be embarkation day in Barcelona for many wonderful Cruise Critic members here to travel on Silver Moon's inaugural trans-Atlantic voyage.  And, while I was dreading today too since it would have been our Meet & Mingle event, I was heartened to learn of the positive Covid-19 vaccine news to lift my spirits.

To all who had signed up for our planned event, JollyJones, DrRon and Rojann, ZQTchas, Wellseasoned, ETUAL and MRSET, Itchtocruz, dougburns, Silver Spectre, IntermediateBridge, nowornever, WesW, bsugar, and Pavlus, here's to your good health and warm wishes that our paths may cross again someday on board one of Silversea's ships.

Oh Stumbles, 

You make me so sad as well - I had almost managed to forget about this and all the other cruises that I'm not going to be cruising.

And Les, and Spins - I'm gonna be missing you on the March TA too.

SIGH ....

Still, must stop whining, stiffen upper lip, pull up bootstraps etc. etc. and start looking to the future with the teensy tiniest little glimmer of optimism. I'm on the Spirit in Europe (so not in US waters) in June '21 - haven't cancelled it yet - maybe, just maybe she'll sail and I'll be aboard??

Can't wait to get acruisin' again and bump into everyone around the high seas.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Sorry to read that, Les.  They must have decided to keep the Moon over in Europe with a hope to begin anew this spring.

I was probably on the verge of cancelling... so it saved my cancellation fee as well! lol I'm also thinking politics came into the decision regarding the outcome of the election and different approach likely. (I know SS had contemplated the Moon sailing the Caribbean in Jan, Feb and Mar.)

So letter now received - with offers on the table..... without the mention of a refund!)

Have picked this one to have a go for.....

So the next booking is May next year.... and will celebrate silver wedding anniversary on the Spirit.... and its seems 26th years will be on this one....

With the news of a vaccine, I'm a little less cagey with the gamble this time. BTW - I did get the Moon Panama sorted into similar dawn sailing. I lost my upgraded airfare i'd paid, but everything else was as was..... (And did lose my deluxe Veranda too.... but at least still have a classic one..... so fine with that as only paid for vista.)

Edited by les37b
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, brimary said:

Its a shame Silversea do not stand up to their booking promises and legal obligations and include full refund in the alternatives available!!

Not sure I understand the point you are making, brimary, as a full refund is always available if SS cancels a voyage.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Not sure I understand the point you are making, brimary, as a full refund is always available if SS cancels a voyage.

I wonder if brimary wasn’t going off of les37b’s posting?   Les37b posted that they received a cancellation letter with offers but it didn’t mention a refund.   Doesn’t mean Silversea wouldn’t honor that option but at the same time they didn’t raise the issue probably in hopes les37b would take one of the offers and leave the money with Silversea.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

Would you mind elaborating?

17 hours ago, Randyk47 said:

I wonder if brimary wasn’t going off of les37b’s posting?   Les37b posted that they received a cancellation letter with offers but it didn’t mention a refund.   Doesn’t mean Silversea wouldn’t honor that option but at the same time they didn’t raise the issue probably in hopes les37b would take one of the offers and leave the money with Silversea.   

Exactly my point reference to les37b earlier and personal past experience many years ago.Silversea will offer anything but a full refund that the client is entitled to in law.They will pay a refund after a lengthy battle, 10 weeks in my earlier case mentioned.

4 hours ago, brimary said:

Exactly my point reference to les37b earlier and personal past experience many years ago.Silversea will offer anything but a full refund that the client is entitled to in law.They will pay a refund after a lengthy battle, 10 weeks in my earlier case mentioned.

I appreciate that you may have had an issue in the distant past but why is that relevant today. Since the pandemic started earlier this year there has been no suggestion that SS has refused to honor a cancellation refund request. They have taken a long time to credit refunds in many cases, but no one has reported a refusal, unlike some other travel companies.

52 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

I appreciate that you may have had an issue in the distant past but why is that relevant today. Since the pandemic started earlier this year there has been no suggestion that SS has refused to honor a cancellation refund request. They have taken a long time to credit refunds in many cases, but no one has reported a refusal, unlike some other travel companies.

Simple......same issues today as in the distant past equals still relevant.

Just to clarify, the email gave the options i mentioned and i was making the point a refund was missing as an option. Apologies for any confusion. A refund is possible if I wanted. I was just amused it wasn't listed as an option as if its not something you would consider.

Having seen all your posts about cancellation of the Ft Lauderdale to Barcelona cruise in March  I rang my agent as we hadn’t heard directly. She confirmed that it looked like it was cancelled but is awaiting notification from Silversea before discussing our options with her. We were due to join in Bermuda and our flights were booked too. I believe that we will be able to have a refund including flight costs but just waiting for the phone call. 
I am not sure if we will rebook as we do love the Oceans and the Med doesn’t really attract us so much, however we were so looking forward to being on the Moon that we may just make an exception this time .

keep well everyone, the virus is gaining on us here 🤢!

19 hours ago, les37b said:

Just to clarify, the email gave the options i mentioned and i was making the point a refund was missing as an option. Apologies for any confusion. A refund is possible if I wanted. I was just amused it wasn't listed as an option as if its not something you would consider.

Thanks les37b.......Exactly the same as our past experience hence knew what you clearly stated was and still is Silversea policy.Offer the alternatives without a refund option and let the customer fight for and wait a long time for a refund.No confusion no need to apologise.Not a good policy for a luxury high cost cruise line to follow in my opinion.

On 9/22/2020 at 6:44 PM, Stumblefoot said:

Ugh!  Are you saying the 15% discount is limited to voyages selected by SS and not the full schedule?  If so, what is SS thinking?

We just had notification of the cancellation from our agent so we asked for quotes on 3 diff voyages of our choosing  for August and Nov 21. The 15% discount was applied to all the quotes and it is a much better deal than the 110% fcc. We  will select which voyage we prefer tomorrow and get the booking transferred. Not confident enough to rebook anything sooner than summer next year. 

Edited by Whaleofatime
Clarification

I received my notification of the cancellation last Wednesday. After getting a couple of quotes I decided to go with the November 2021 Barcelona to Lisbon cruise on the Silver Dawn. I feel pretty confident about booking a fall 2021 cruise, especially with two very promising vaccines on the way.