Island Princess

Ombud

Because Princess removed the Universe Lounge and moved around other aft public spaces to add cabins for 200 additional passengers. Also, no International Cafe, "U" shaped promenade, buried fitness center on deck 6 aft, no extra DR's for the extra passengers, no extra seating in the theater and lounges.

With all that said people have experienced nice cruises on the Island.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, skynight said:

Because Princess removed the Universe Lounge and moved around other aft public spaces to add cabins for 200 additional passengers. Also, no International Cafe, "U" shaped promenade, buried fitness center on deck 6 aft, no extra DR's for the extra passengers, no extra seating in the theater and lounges.

I would not return to the Island for a free cruise.It's a mess.

• Like 1

The  Island Princess was  "refurbished" a few years ago to add more cabins aft.   The idea was to pack more people into a ship not  originally designed for it.  Those new cabins have flimsy walls and questionable plumbing.  My biggest gripe is they moved the fitness center from the top of the ship to the bottom floor.  Now when you are on the treadmill instead of a nice view out the back of the ship, you get to look at a blank wall.  Wont choose the Island again.  Its sister ship the Coral is still our favorite.  I suppose both will be gone before long because they don't produce as much revenue as the new larger ships.

• Like 1

A lot depends on what features are important to you. We spent 58 nights on her just before the covid shutdown and have 125 nights booked for 2021/22.  I found the atrium lousy layout for any activities but otherwise had no issues.   I liked having an indoor and an outdoor pool. 

2 hours ago, skynight said:

Princess removed the Universe Lounge and moved around other aft public spaces to add cabins for 200 additional passengers. Also, no International Cafe, "U" shaped promenade, buried fitness center on deck 6 aft, no extra DR's for the extra passengers, no extra seating in the theater and lounges.

Plus, with the changes to the aft, it is ugly!

I just got booted off the Sky April TA so it can be redeployed. I'm looking at December 6, 2021 Moroccan Passage but people seem to dislike the Island Princess. Why?

We are booked on this cruise and I can’t wait. We are in the last cabin starboard on Deck 8, Emerald, next to the small aft deck. We sailed twice before on the Island, although prior to the changes.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
  • Like 1

We’re booked Feb 24, TR from LA to the Hawaiian Islands 15night.  I guess we’re basically doing American ports, the required stoppage in Mexico could be a refuge stop only.

so far I haven’t heard anything from Princess.  I’m figuring they will react in late December early Jan, if they plan to cruise or drop the trip.

the rumor, is the ship is lite, that bookings are being restricted, to reduce the number of Pax.   But I got that from a TA friend.   Who really knows.   

in one thought, I would love to get back on the horse and ride the trip out... but in the other hand, is this going to be a nightmare?

we got experience to these waits COVID wise...

we waiting for our cruise March 13,2020... folks bailing all over, then March 12 the announcement.   Sure it took 61 days to get the refund... but I trust Princess to make good.

We were on the Island for 25 days in January and had a wonderful time with no complaints. But, this was our first cruise on the Island, so we had no memories of what it used to be like. Well, there was one shortfall, but not a big deal. The promenade no longer goes completely around the ship because of the renovation. You can still walk laps, but you have to cut across through the ship near the rear elevators/stairwell.

3 hours ago, skynight said:

the Island sounds like a poor option for a TA especially for a solo. 

14 minutes ago, DuaneO said:

We’re booked Feb 24, TR from LA to the Hawaiian Islands 15night.  I guess we’re basically doing American ports, the required stoppage in Mexico could be a refuge stop only.

so far I haven’t heard anything from Princess.  I’m figuring they will react in late December early Jan, if they plan to cruise or drop the trip.

the rumor, is the ship is lite, that bookings are being restricted, to reduce the number of Pax.   But I got that from a TA friend.   Who really knows.   

in one thought, I would love to get back on the horse and ride the trip out... but in the other hand, is this going to be a nightmare?

we got experience to these waits COVID wise...

we waiting for our cruise March 13,2020... folks bailing all over, then March 12 the announcement.   Sure it took 61 days(!) to get the refund... but I trust Princess to make good.

I'm back waiting a refund. 1st took 2 months and had to settle for most of it yo be transferred to last canceled cruise, 2nd took 5.5 months, last took 4.5 months. I'm patient to a point

Since they seemed to have cancelled the April TA on the Crown, looks like the Island will be the only ship going to Southampton.  I’ve not been on it since they chopped it up but the itinerary is different.  We won’t book it for a while until Princess actually starts cruising again.  
Where is the Crown going?  

We are booked on the Island for October 29, 2021, Med cruise, in one of the newish accessible aft suites on the Promenade deck -- an upgrade! The main thing we will miss is an International Cafe although they have a much smaller version whose name I can't remember. 

12 minutes ago, Alaskanb said:

We are booked on the Island for October 29, 2021, Med cruise, in one of the newish accessible aft suites on the Promenade deck -- an upgrade! The main thing we will miss is an International Cafe although they have a much smaller version whose name I can't remember. 

No I.C. on the Island Princess. They do have La Patisserie on deck 5 where you can get your espresso drinks and maybe a few pastries or cookies. 

• Like 1

Regal and Sky will be in Southampton for Summer 2021 apparently.  Sky takes over the Crown cruises and Regal took the Grands.

I was going to be on the Island for a 10 day prior to my cancelled Crown cruise, port intensive, felt I could deal with no IC for 10 days.  I don't think I would book it for a longer cruise because I really like a bigger atrium, and International Cafe.

Edited by susancruzs
addition

My selfish opinion:  On our one and only Island Princess cruise (19 days canal partial transit out of LA) we loved our Lido deck aft Vista Suite (apparently these cabins are off the same assembly line and are identical to the Royal class cabins).  It's just a short trip to the Thermal Suite, and the aft pool.  We don't always use the gym on every cruise, so this wasn't an issue.  We don't go to the shows other than the small venues.

No aft suites/balcony cabins is our biggest negative for the Coral, but she is one of our favorites.

As is often pointed out, all of us are different, and luckily there are options for all.  Having said that, we used to love the Island and Coral and have many trips on both.  Now, having cruised the Island once after the "renovation" (it was a short family cruise), we would only go on it if it were a truly special itinerary.  Whoever in magement dreamed up this "renovation" ought to find another career.  OTOH, the Coral is wonderful, and is so superior to the Island in every way.  Again, to each his/her own. 😀

Bruce

• Like 1