Cruise lines solvency

jwc1027

3 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

There are people who believe the vaccine will be out by November and yet nobody cries fake news or hoax.

that's because it's been said so many times that it's meaningless to call things fake news or a hoax anymore.

That's been, sadly, normalized.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2020 at 1:29 PM, DHADEN said:

Sorry You Feel so Negatively, but I think you are very wrong.

Cruising will resume after a successful VACCINE is distributed to the population and the Cruise-Lines can demand that ANYONE/EVERYONE has to have proof of taking the vaccine  before they are allowed on board.

THEN.....

Everyone on board will be safe and relaxed in knowing no one has it and no one can catch it.

This COULD happen as early as somewhere between Dec. 2020 and Jan. of 2021.

Think required Testing before/during Cruise will come, required Vaccine an unknown. Some don't realize to get approved the Vaccine only has to be 50% effective. Not an anti-Vaxer, I'll be one first inline when available

On 9/15/2020 at 6:39 PM, scorpluvsdolphins said:

Thanks for the laugh. 
I’m never taking the vaccine and almost everyone I know isn’t taking it either. The ones thinking about taking the vaccine definitely won’t be taking for at least a year. 
Thanks again for making me laugh. 

On 9/16/2020 at 9:56 AM, bouhunter said:

You can't really believe this is even remotely possible.

6 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

There are people who believe the vaccine will be out by November and yet nobody cries fake news or hoax.

You-Guys must be living under a rock or something.  Why don't you listen to the news or read a newspaper before you mouth off with such negative cynicism.  There are 3 or 4 AMERICAN companies RIGHT NOW that are already into the third (last) phase of testing.  It has been almost 100% positive in as many as 30,000 people.  They are already producing the 100 MILLION DOSES that the government will start distributing as soon as approval is available.  That has been said by the FDA, who are "Fast-Tracking" could be as soon as November 2020!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DHADEN said:

You-Guys must be living under a rock or something.  Why don't you listen to the news or read a newspaper before you mouth off with such negative cynicism.  There are 3 or 4 AMERICAN companies RIGHT NOW that are already into the third (last) phase of testing.  It has been almost 100% positive in as many as 30,000 people.  They are already producing the 100 MILLION DOSES that the government will start distributing as soon as approval is available.  That has been said by the FDA, who are "Fast-Tracking" could be as soon as November 2020!

Mmmmmm Kool-Aid. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheMastodon said:

Please specify.  Are you insinuating death or recovery.  

Those are the only two choices as I see it.  It should be said, however, that even recovery is not without danger.  Studies are beginning to show that there can be serious lingering effects after recovery.

52 minutes ago, DHADEN said:

My comment is negative cynicism. 
I’m not taking the vaccine even if they say it is 99% effective. We all make choices about our lives. 
I won’t take any vaccine. 

2 hours ago, DHADEN said:

Just watched the Moderna CEO was talking to CBS News (they are in phase 3 with 30,000 people) and before anything can be approved, the data has to be submitted to support the findings.  There are more than 30,000 in each the case studies.  Just because the FDA wants to fast track, we do have a process in the US of reviewing everything and not jumping the gun.  After the peer review studies are completed, then they will decide which or if all three will go forward for the vaccination program and how many doses people will need and also, it may very well be a vaccination such as the flu shot.  We have to wait and see.

Also, a study was done, that showed those who wear glasses were least likely to have or get Covid-19.  👊👍

Edited by Plum Happy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/15/2020 at 4:29 PM, DHADEN said:

Sorry You Feel so Negatively, but I think you are very wrong.

Cruising will resume after a successful VACCINE is distributed to the population and the Cruise-Lines can demand that ANYONE/EVERYONE has to have proof of taking the vaccine  before they are allowed on board.

THEN.....

Everyone on board will be safe and relaxed in knowing no one has it and no one can catch it.

This COULD happen as early as somewhere between Dec. 2020 and Jan. of 2021.

One must be living under a rock if they think there is even a .000001% chance that cruises could be sailing in December or January with fully vaccinated passengers and crew "knowing that no one has it and no one can catch it".

11 minutes ago, Plum Happy said:

Just watched the Moderna CEO was talking to CBS News (they are in phase 3 with 30,000 people) and before anything can be approved, the data has to be submitted to support the findings.  There are more than 30,000 in each the case studies.  Just because the FDA wants to fast track, we do have a process in the US of reviewing everything and not jumping the gun.  After the peer review studies are completed, then they will decide which or if all three will go forward for the vaccination program and how many doses people will need and also, it may very well be a vaccination such as the flu shot.  We have to wait and see.

Also, a study was done, that showed those who wear glasses were least likely to have or get Covid-19.  👊👍

One interesting fact is that Moderna has yet (in their history) to have a vaccine make it to market.  It only takes 50 percent effectiveness for approval by FDA.   Vaccines are hard to develop, in fact very hard.  Please refer to my post # 43 to get an idea what experiences I have encountered over the years with vaccines.  

2 hours ago, DHADEN said:

I am a bit puzzled by your posting.  In truthfulness, I would not depend on any of the main stream talking heads on any of the network/cable news programs nor their respective publications (especially during an election year) to be your guide.  I have been taught to let science by our guide.  I responded to an earlier post (#43) giving some personal examples in my experience with vaccine development.  To think that an effective, safe, peer reviewed vaccine will be available for general use by November is not based in reality.  I do not mean this in an adversarial way, but in a reality way.  I can share with you the data that I have seen, there has never been an immunization/vaccine that comes anywhere near 100 percent effectiveness.  Additionally, for there to be any meaningful protection, we must have at least 70 percent of he population vaccinated. 

• Like 1

On 9/17/2020 at 7:54 PM, howiefrommd said:

I am a bit puzzled by your posting.  In truthfulness, I would not depend on any of the main stream talking heads on any of the network/cable news programs nor their respective publications (especially during an election year) to be your guide.  I have been taught to let science by our guide.  I responded to an earlier post (#43) giving some personal examples in my experience with vaccine development.  To think that an effective, safe, peer reviewed vaccine will be available for general use by November is not based in reality.  I do not mean this in an adversarial way, but in a reality way.  I can share with you the data that I have seen, there has never been an immunization/vaccine that comes anywhere near 100 percent effectiveness.  Additionally, for there to be any meaningful protection, we must have at least 70 percent of he population vaccinated. 

Except some being developed  are RNA vaccines and from what I have read, they could have a much higher rate of efficacy. 

39 minutes ago, mek said:

Except some being developed  are RNA vaccines and from what I have read, they could have a much higher rate of efficacy. 

Unfortunately outside of the pharma companies no one has seen data. There is lots of spin from pharma, politicians, pundits on TV but we really do not know anything.  We need to let scientists do their work. Vaccines are hard, very hard. For some reason people (probably because they watch talking heads on tv) thinks vaccines will cure everything.  They will be just one part of the arsenal.   

Edited by howiefrommd
Typo

On 9/17/2020 at 7:47 PM, howiefrommd said:

One interesting fact is that Moderna has yet (in their history) to have a vaccine make it to market.  It only takes 50 percent effectiveness for approval by FDA.   Vaccines are hard to develop, in fact very hard.  Please refer to my post # 43 to get an idea what experiences I have encountered over the years with vaccines.  

Yes, I am aware of that, but I also know that Moderna has been working directly with NIH on this vaccine.  The vaccine may not really protect you per say as a one shot Polio vaccine, maybe it's a yearly thing like the flu shot.  If so, many will not bother getting it, like a flu shot.  

25 minutes ago, Plum Happy said:

Yes, I am aware of that, but I also know that Moderna has been working directly with NIH on this vaccine.  The vaccine may not really protect you per say as a one shot Polio vaccine, maybe it's a yearly thing like the flu shot.  If so, many will not bother getting it, like a flu shot.  

When I was in training in the late 70s and early 80s we had patients presenting with opportunistic infections, which eventually was diagnosed as HIV/AIDS.  I remember my professors telling me how promising vaccines will be for this treatment. Before AIDS NORO was diagnosed and all were hopeful for a vaccine.  Unfortunately people get their scientific information from talking heads on the TV.  There will be no quick way out of this pandemic.  We need the let the scientists do their work .  Just because we plow billions of dollars into this does not mean instant vaccine or if we ever have one.  I just hope we have more luck than With other viruses.  

Edited by howiefrommd
Typo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, spunks said:

I have a question......Things are so bad that CCL is selling 18 ships.......To Who?

Is Bezos thinking of starting a cruise Line?

Doug

Not sure which ships off hand, though I'd bet some being sold for scrap. Enough in just one to make lot of Pop cans or New Cars. Sad. In couple years when Cruising is back to normal and popular we'll have less ships and cost to Cruise will be higher. All I can say as they keep only their larger more profitable ships, we'll have less choice and smaller ships will be missed...

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Thanks 1

Just now, howiefrommd said:

I let the science make the decisions for me. I do not let talking heads on CNN or FOX educate me.  I do not rely on google. I do as I have been taught, follow the science. I routinely get peer reviewed scientific newsletters, articles and publications.  To date,  informally or formally has any data been published by reputable scientific people.  Unfortunately, people are listening to the talking heads, the PR firms from pharma or some political ideological slant.  We will just have to agree to disagree 

Reputable scientific people once believed there was nothing like a good bleeding for what ailed you; the universe revolved around Earth and more recently that there was a coming New Ice Age.

1 hour ago, howiefrommd said:

Unfortunately, people are listening to the talking heads, the PR firms from pharma or some political ideological slant.  

Yes, the PR firms and the firms themselves.

I cite the example of Novavax (NVAX).  At one point, they were putting out reports almost on a daily basis.

These glowing reports touting wonderful results and partnerships drove the stock from under $5 to well over $150.  Meanwhile the executives and Board of Directors gave themselves stock options.  The PR blitz drove the price skyward at which point the execs and BOD sold.  FYI, the stock is now down to about $110.

On 9/17/2020 at 7:47 PM, howiefrommd said:

Back in the day, the 'experts' said the Salk vaccine would never work

8 hours ago, howiefrommd said:

When I was in training in the late 70s and early 80s we had patients presenting with opportunistic infections, which eventually was diagnosed as HIV/AIDS.  I remember my professors telling me how promising vaccines will be for this treatment. Before AIDS NORO was diagnosed and all were hopeful for a vaccine.  Unfortunately people get their scientific information from talking heads on the TV.  There will be no quick way out of this pandemic.  We need the let the scientists do their work .  Just because we plow billions of dollars into this does not mean instant vaccine or if we ever have one.  I just hope we have more luck than With other viruses.  

I think you're relating your experience from 40-50 years ago to today is a mistake.  We now have computers that can analyze data and run models that your 1970's professors couldn"t even imagine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yogimax said:

Yes, the PR firms and the firms themselves.

I cite the example of Novavax (NVAX).  At one point, they were putting out reports almost on a daily basis.

These glowing reports touting wonderful results and partnerships drove the stock from under $5 to well over $150.  Meanwhile the executives and Board of Directors gave themselves stock options.  The PR blitz drove the price skyward at which point the execs and BOD sold.  FYI, the stock is now down to about $110.

Well above the $5 from where it started.

3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I think you're relating your experience from 40-50 years ago to today is a mistake.  We now have computers that can analyze data and run models that your 1970's professors couldn"t even imagine.

I have been involved in medical/health care analytics for quite some time. One of the basic tenants is computer modeling.  I am quite comfortable how modeling works and affects research.

The point I was trying to articulate was we still do not have a vaccine for HIV, NORO, etc. 

• Like 1