New Zealand Border

casofilia

There was an announcement from a quasi Government agency (the Treasury) yesterday that the New Zealand border will possibly/probably NOT be reopened till 2022.   It was in the Pre-election Economic and Fiscal Update 

It has caused consternation in the travel industry here.

1 hour ago, casofilia said:

There was an announcement from a quasi Government agency (the Treasury) yesterday that the New Zealand border will possibly/probably NOT be reopened till 2022.   It was in the Pre-election Economic and Fiscal Update 

Thanks for the update.   I had a cruise to NZ in November and was really looking forward to it.

6 hours ago, casofilia said:

Trust me, I totally understand about the consternation. The US/Canada border has been closed since March and has now been extended until the end of October.... 

However, I doubt our closure will extend until 2022; more likely until Mar. 2021, at least I hope it will open by then. 

Good luck, stay safe. 

@casofilia

I hope The Treasury is just being overly cautious & NZ border reopens earlier than that for a few reasons:

• Hopefully the World will have a better handle on C-19 way before then
  • Here's to hoping the NZ Peeps will continue to stay safe
  • I don't live in NZ - but imagine this could have harsh impacts on the Economy
  • The rest of us would love to visit again...

In the short-term...
Take Care & Stay Safe!

Edited by Von & John

19 hours ago, casofilia said:

That seems too pessimistic considering vaccines will likely be available for the public in 2021.

@macandlucy

Are most New Zealanders okay with the extended ban on travel? Just curious 😊

There are a lot of New Zealanders who are anti anything about the virus and its problems BUT most are happy to go with all the problems that have fallen on our heads!!   

I think that those of us who are regular travellers accept the rules albeit reluctantly.

• Like 2

@4774Papa

That seems too pessimistic considering vaccines will likely be available for the public in 2021.

That is all well & good but your "likely" is the important word.   They are  a government department and set the worst case scenario.

How often to government or quasi government organisations talk that way?   Rates will go up 5%, lots of arguments and they then do back to 3% so they look good!!!

• 1 month later...

Anyone hoping to come to New Zealand in the near future, "forget it".    The government didn't change so the only people allowed in are returning NZ'ers or specific "workers".   And they all have to have a permit BEFORE boarding a plane that shows they have arranged Managed Isolation, they have to pay for the "MI".   Only one problem is that all permits for arrival and isolation before Christmas have already been "issued".

• 1 month later...

The latest from New Zealand as I see it.

There are two considerations for those of us in New Zealand or for those wishing to travel here, that of the border opening and of the vaccine availability.

The latest border "decision" is that there will not be a "bubble" with Australia till February 2021 at the earliest.  The latest rumour is that the border will not be generally open till possibly 2022.   The other problem with this is that those arriving in NZ and staying for less than 90 days or are New Zealanders returning from a holiday overseas will have to pay for Managed Isolation; c $4000 per couple.   Everyone has to do 14 days in Managed Isolation.   For anyone to actually cross the border they have to get a permit; a booking for Managed Isolation; BEFORE boarding their plane to NZ.

Most Australian States have an Isolation Free Status for New Zealanders travelling to Australia but the reverse is NOT true and the above applies.

It is also almost certain that anyone arriving in or leaving from NZ will need to produce a Vaccination Certificate and probably for a vaccine that NZ approves of.   Again this will be needed BEFORE boarding a plane.   This situation is also difficult as decisions about the which; when and how of vaccines and vaccinations for New Zealanders has not been decided.

It seems to many in NZ that our new government is being ultra cautious.

I cannot see Pauline and I being able to travel during the Northern Summer as we hoped.   We are both over 75 so hope we will be in the first group for vaccinations!!!!

All the best

Mike

The latest news

A "bubble" with the Cook Islands in the first 3 months of 2021 is the first priority.   The second is for one with Australia in the same time frame.

That is the latest news from the government.

Nothing about the rest of the world.

Mike

On 12/11/2020 at 3:31 PM, casofilia said:

The latest from New Zealand as I see it. 

Mike, I was very happy for all of you in New Zealand to see the news this morning. I realize that there are still the international travel restrictions you have detailed, but given how badly most of the rest of the world is still doing, they are understandable.  At least it seems you will be able to resume something of a more normal life within your own country, and I’m very glad for you. 

• 1 month later...

Here is the latest update regarding the NZ Border.

Anyone from the UK or the USA will have to have a CLEAR Covid Certificate before being allowed on a plane to NZ.  (I do not know if proof of vaccination will over-rule this requirement.) You will then have to have arranged a Managed Isolation booking for your arrival 14 day Managed Isolation that you will have to pay for!!

This is likely to be extended to much of the rest of the world next week.

From our side we have no idea when we are likely to be able to get a vaccination.   We also do not know if we have had a vaccination whether we will not have to go into Managed Isolation on our return.  People are hoping that if we have been vaccinated that we will be able to isolate at home.

We are hoping that the borders here will be back to "normal" by October at the latest.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the update. I was actually supposed to fly from JFK to Auckland later tonight, for a 3 week long vacation around North & South island, then a hop over to Sydney, Cairns, and Brisbane before heading home on the longest flights of our lives.

We were thinking of rebooking for the same time in 2022 instead, but it's too far away with too many uncertainties and too expensive of a business class plane ticket (hubby can't sit on a plane for 17+ hours in coach without going stir crazy) to risk for a second time. Thankfully our flight was changed and cancelled so many times during the initial phases of the pandemic we received a refund as opposed to airline credits, but still frustrating and hard to manage who owes us what.

Fingers crossed that we'll get to come visit sometime in 2022 or 2023.

It looks as if there will be more information later this week but the requirement for a negative Covid test at most 72 hours before departure WILL be enforced for all the world except for Australia, Antarctica and SOME Pacific Islands from later this week.

It is likely that arriving passengers will have to have another test on arrival and then be isolated in the Managed Isolation ROOM in a hotel till it comes back negative.   Then into Managed Isolation till day 14 with more tests on Days 3 &12.

The actual information is still being worked on.

Someone arrived over the weekend WITHOUT the 72 hour pretest and were given a written warning.  The intention is a $1000 fine for that offence at the end of January.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I love New Zealand and Australia. I am registered to get my vaccine. However, I don't relish having a test swab push down my nostril. Just thinking about it gives me the creeps. So will wait until confirmation of vaccination is the only requirement to enter.

@IrieBajan54

I don't think that you will find that just having any vaccination will do.   It will have to be one that the NZ government says is acceptable.   ALSO you will almost certainly need a Covid Clear Test no more than 72 hours before a flight (I don't know how it will be actioned for ship arrivals).