formal nights

untailored bostonian

On 9/28/2020 at 10:34 PM, Mudhen said:

I believe the same holds true with Celebrity. We had a "sky suite" several years ago and we ate in the "suite only" dining room. I don't recall the name of it, but it was fairly small and btw, very good.

Luminae. Then there’s Aqua class with their own restaurant, Blue, and then the GDR for everyone else. 
Really, the ‘class’ comments about Cunard made by some posters are so tiresome. Many of these sweeping statements haven’t considered that many other lines have separate restaurants that correlate with cabin choice and price.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

As a female, I don't think I should feel terrible comfortable sharing a lift solely with a male clad only in trunks and a towel. Not that anyone is likely to be sharing a lift with anybody in the near future.

I agree so would never dream of going in a lift.

• Like 1

Giggling here, as this tread has really gone off the rails.....

I guess there's now a big debate on what kind of towel you should wrap around yourself and dash back to the cabin.....and this from probably the most "formal" of all cruise lines.

On Regent, who uses the "country club casual" code, there are massive, militant comments on the horrors of wearing your robe to the pool/hot tub.......shaking my head....

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Mudhen said:

Giggling here, as this tread has really gone off the rails.....

I guess there's now a big debate on what kind of towel you should wrap around yourself and dash back to the cabin.....and this from probably the most "formal" of all cruise lines.

On Regent, who uses the "country club casual" code, there are massive, militant comments on the horrors of wearing your robe to the pool/hot tub.......shaking my head....

wait until it gets into how much soda/booze can i bring on board to save a buck .....you aint seen nuttin 

1 hour ago, newjoisey said:

wait until it gets into how much soda/booze can i bring on board to save a buck

Thankfully, there's no limit.

I wish  it was just a buck, then we wouldn't bother, but it's not, so we always bring our own Widow, usually half a dozen.

Edited by BigMac1953

2 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

I wish  it was just a buck, then we wouldn't bother, but it's nor, so we always bring our own Widow, usually half a dozen.

and what a treat to see at check in ...it kinda of oozes something 

15 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

I wish  it was just a buck, then we wouldn't bother, but it's not, so we always bring our own Widow, usually half a dozen.

Bring half a dozen widows with you, perhaps you should change your name from BigMac to DonJuan

2 hours ago, exlondoner said:

As a female, I don't think I should feel terrible comfortable sharing a lift solely with a male clad only in trunks and a towel. Not that anyone is likely to be sharing a lift with anybody in the near future.

I see how you are thinking but how would you know this hypothetical guy is actually wearing trunks?

Lol John

• 2 weeks later...

The Cunard USP is the formality. But do not confuse that with people being "stuck up", as they are not. 

Cunarder's love dressing up, that's why they choose the brand sort of speak.

But it does not have to be a tuxedo. No, no way, but at the same time jeans and t shirt is disrespecting the brand and your holiday mates.

Dress smartly and no one will have an issue, If you dont want too, then no problem therr are plenty of cruise lines who are happy with that. 

Just respect the fact that cunarder's do not want that and enjoy the "pomp and ceremony" its wonderful.

I got into this in my mid--life and love it. It totally contradicts the fact that im a biker who loves heavy metal festivals !!!!!!! oh even worse... a geordie LOL

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Saying cruise with someone else is sometimes far easier said than done.

Not great cruisers but now & then one takes our fancy,hence we cruise with whoever has a cruise that appeals,so far that has included P&O,Princess & RCI but may soon include Cunard as we want to visit New York without flying,doing it on the QM2 fits our time schedule & criteria BUT like some I hate dressing up,really don't care what anybody else wears,anybody who pays there money should be allowed to wear what they want IMO.

Our first cruise was on Princess & on one formal night we had a photo taken & gave the resulting photo to my Mother(sadly no longer with us),she loved the pic of her 'baby' boy all dressed up,bow tie & all,I look at it & just see one thing...UNCOMFY,not the way I want to feel on my holiday!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, snaefell said:

Not great cruisers but now & then one takes our fancy,hence we cruise with whoever has a cruise that appeals,so far that has included P&O,Princess & RCI but may soon include Cunard as we want to visit New York without flying,doing it on the QM2 fits our time schedule & criteria BUT like some I hate dressing up,really don't care what anybody else wears,anybody who pays there money should be allowed to wear what they want IMO.

Our first cruise was on Princess & on one formal night we had a photo taken & gave the resulting photo to my Mother(sadly no longer with us),she loved the pic of her 'baby' boy all dressed up,bow tie & all,I look at it & just see one thing...UNCOMFY,not the way I want to feel on my holiday!

I don't want to get into the usual dress code discussion, but I am interested in one thing. By uncomfy, do you mean the clothes were physically uncomfortable, or that you felt out of place wearing them and that made you psychologically uncomfortable?

1 hour ago, snaefell said:

i will agree with most of what you typed however while i do not do the tux anymore with cunard i do not bring on board my usual everyday home wear. I bring and wear a sport coat and tie to eat in kings court buffet on formal nights and respect certain parts of the ship. After six [on board]i am always in dress pants /top ,if anything i wear is uncomfortable it does not last long . 

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

I don't want to get into the usual dress code discussion, but I am interested in one thing. By uncomfy, do you mean the clothes were physically uncomfortable, or that you felt out of place wearing them and that made you psychologically uncomfortable?

Unless the weather makes it absolutely necessary I hate having my arms covered or wearing a coat,I also feel so uncomfy wearing a tie,smart dress for me means wearing my shirt showing Jimi Hendrix live at Berkley University,I've had it many years now & love it,it also tends to get a great response from others!

Edited by snaefell

7 minutes ago, snaefell said:

Unless the weather makes it absolutely necessary I hate having my arms covered or wearing a coat,I also feel so uncomfy wearing a tie,smart dress for me means wearing my shirt showing Jimi Hendrix live at Berkley University,I've had it many years now & love it,it also tends to get a great response from others!

Then I am afraid that crossing the Atlantic on QM2 is not for you and think you should look elsewhere.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, snaefell said:

seek alternate cruise line over cunard 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, snaefell said:

A quick search on one travel Web site of transatlantics ending in New York during 2021 and 2022 revealed 20 different voyages on lines other than Cunard, many of which originated in the UK. 

Finding an alternative  NY to  Southampton  or Southampton to NY  to Cunard is easier said than done. There are NO other direct 7 day cruises only Cunard,  the few alternatives are much longer via Iceland etc. etc.

If you are looking for a CRUISE  then Cunard transatlantic is not for you. 

If you are someone who cannot fly and needs to cross the Atlantic,  then there is no aternative to Cunard. There are places to eat and drink in the evening which do not require the dress code, but you miss out on many venues. Whether it would be easier to put on a suit or jacket is up to you. 

2 hours ago, snaefell said:

What with the strong, not particularly warm, winds outside, and the robust air conditioning in places inside, you may well find covering your arms the lesser of two evils in terms of comfort.

• Like 2

On 10/11/2020 at 12:25 PM, ZZRLAD said:

The Cunard USP is the formality. But do not confuse that with people being "stuck up", as they are not.  Cunarder's love dressing up, that's why they choose the brand sort of speak.

Not stuck up of course....  although there is rather pretentious sounding self identification as a "Cunarder".....

10 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Not stuck up of course....  although there is rather pretentious sounding self identification as a "Cunarder".....

People who identify as "Cunarders" abound on this forum and seem to think it gives them more say than us ordinary paying passengers. 

• Like 1