healthy sail panel report released

npcl

I read it and the very 1st point indicates that their response is total BS.  They have the crew being checked before they leave for the ship.  They have them checked again when the board the ship.  They then have them quarantine for 14 days (I think) ON the ship before they can work.  I seriously doubt if the crew members will stay in their cabin w/o going out for 14 days.  Even if they do stay in their cabin, who is going to clean their cabin - the crew member?  They should have them quarantine on shore  for 14 days BEFORE they board the ship.  

DON

• Like 1

It was an interesting read and what they are proposing is nothing different than what has been suggested in most other reports.  The curious part is what the different ports/countries position will be regarding letting passengers come ashore even if they are on a ship's tour and can't wander around.  I can see the concern about the possibility of spreading the virus in countries that don't have the medical capacity to control it, but then there are the financial issues that the merchants would be facing.

This requirement: "Passengers should be tested for COVID-19 five days to 24 hours before boarding and share a negative result with the cruise operator."

I would have expected that the tests would be the newer tests where the results are available in 15 minutes and be done right in the terminal. Five days before the cruise leaves to much time to get infected.

I wonder how you are supposed to get a COVID test if you are boarding in another country. For example you are from the US and board a transatlantic cruise in Venice. So you fly or train into Venice then have to run around and find a place to get tested somewhere there before you can board, in a foreign country where you may not know the language ? 

18 hours ago, rhblake said:

This requirement: "Passengers should be tested for COVID-19 five days to 24 hours before boarding and share a negative result with the cruise operator."

I would have expected that the tests would be the newer tests where the results are available in 15 minutes and be done right in the terminal. Five days before the cruise leaves to much time to get infected.

The required test is a specific kind which is not one of the 15 minute result tests.

Just not worth going through all of that for me just to go on a cruise.  If it works for some people, fine with me, but I won't be back on a ship until things are back to "normal."  If that means I don't cruise for a while or never, then so be it.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, mek said:

Just not worth going through all of that for me just to go on a cruise.  If it works for some people, fine with me, but I won't be back on a ship until things are back to "normal."  If that means I don't cruise for a while or never, then so be it.

Agree

On 9/21/2020 at 11:41 PM, donaldsc said:

Even if they do stay in their cabin, who is going to clean their cabin - the crew member?

Crew members do not get cabin service.  Typically only three stripe officers and above get cabin service, the rest of the crew clean their own cabins.

What if each port city had a designated location for cruisers that come in early to get the "5 day to 24 hours" prior test? For example, the husband and I are planning an Alaska cruise next summer. We want to go a few days early and explore Seattle. If Princess had a designated testing site, passengers could go there, get tested, and have the results sent to the ship's medical staff. We could then do the departure day day test too.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

What if each port city had a designated location for cruisers that come in early to get the "5 day to 24 hours" prior test? For example, the husband and I are planning an Alaska cruise next summer. We want to go a few days early and explore Seattle. If Princess had a designated testing site, passengers could go there, get tested, and have the results sent to the ship's medical staff. We could then do the departure day day test too.

Sounds good as long as people both have the extra vacation days to do this as well as the $$$ to pay for the extra days of hotels and meals.

Also must be willing to risk having traveled to the port city only to learn there that the test is positive and they cannot cruise.

6 minutes ago, caribill said:

Sounds good as long as people both have the extra vacation days to do this as well as the $$$ to pay for the extra days of hotels and meals.

Also must be willing to risk having traveled to the port city only to learn there that the test is positive and they cannot cruise.

I would say that if you have to stay and wait for the test - you should  be compensated in full, both for the meals and for the hotel. I mean its not our fault that we have to stay somewhere and wait wasting our time and money. There should be some sort of compensation to it 

On 9/22/2020 at 8:40 AM, rhblake said:

I too find that a little problematical.  How to test upwards of a couple thousand passengers and get the results back quickly enough to OK boarding?  What do they do when you arrive at the terminal as we do here in south Florida, dump your luggage with the baggage handlers at the dock, get tested and find out you are positive and can't board.  Your luggage is somewhere, possibly with some virus on it and they need to find it and get it back to you.  Just thinking.

4 hours ago, Grego said:

I too find that a little problematical.  How to test upwards of a couple thousand passengers and get the results back quickly enough to OK boarding?

From a "Futrure of Crusing" webinar earlier this month:

o Rapid result testing is a “game changer” allowing testing at the pier and not requiring passengers to get tested on their own several days before the cruise.  Since, at least for the USA, there is expected to be a number of people who will not get a vaccination once it is available, this on-site testing might allow the cruise lines to not require proof of vaccination in order to cruise, but it is too soon to know for sure.

On 9/24/2020 at 3:13 AM, caribill said:

I understand that every passenger doesn't travel early. I was just referring to those that can and are willing to. My husband and I always arrive at least one day before, earlier if it's a departure city we've never been to.

Either way, there's no guarantee that Covid won't be picked up after the test whether in your home city, during travel, or in the port city. It's a crap shoot.