Cancellation of December cruises

SSCAF001

My Melbourne to Auckland cruise in Dec. was canceled. For rebooking to certain cruises (they had a list of about 15 cruises or so) incl. the same route next year I was offered 15% off. FCC offered is 10% plus.  I did not receive yet the final offer compared to the cruise originally booked. Let‘s see if 15% plus 10% is combinable.

On 10/31/2020 at 5:52 PM, shipsmail said:

My Melbourne to Auckland cruise in Dec. was canceled. For rebooking to certain cruises (they had a list of about 15 cruises or so) incl. the same route next year I was offered 15% off. FCC offered is 10% plus.  I did not receive yet the final offer compared to the cruise originally booked. Let‘s see if 15% plus 10% is combinable.

Just received the offer from Silversea/my TA: as expected it is either 15% or 10%. When using the 15% (which was limited to end of Oct.) the fare for the same cruise next year would be 3500€ more expensive after deducting our VS and early payment rebate for two people in the Deluxe Verandah and it has to be paid in full now. This is an increase in pricing by about 25%! For me this is a very bad policy of Silversea for rebooking loyal customers. Well, we have spent nearly 500 days on Silversea, but are now looking to alternatives and have already booked one cruise elsewhere in the luxury segment.

@shipsmail  I think we're likely to see a lot of disappointment -- and anger -- in the months ahead as people book new cruises at prices that, overall, are going to be higher than before. I think there will be variations by cruise line, by region, and by specific itineraries, but in general, it seems inescapable that prices will need to go up to make up the billions of dollars each cruise line has lost in 2020.

How much higher will be interesting to see. I'd guess they'll start on the high side, based on the premise that there's pent up demand of people who are eager to cruise, plus reduced capacity on each ship -- and then discount selectively as they need to if they've priced things higher than the market will bear. But I think longtime and regular customers, and those who had cruises canceled, will be the ones most upset that the cruise lines aren't "taking care of them" by offering fares that, with FCCs added in, are below 2020 rates.

It will also be interesting to see if all the cruise lines move pretty much in lockstep with regard to pricing, or if some offer lower prices in a bid to generate volume and win new customers while others offer higher prices in a bid to capitalize on loyalty and demand in order to recoup their losses faster.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruiseej said:

@shipsmail  I think we're likely to see a lot of disappointment -- and anger -- in the months ahead as people book new cruises at prices that, overall, are going to be higher than before. I think there will be variations by cruise line, by region, and by specific itineraries, but in general, it seems inescapable that prices will need to go up to make up the billions of dollars each cruise line has lost in 2020.

How much higher will be interesting to see. I'd guess they'll start on the high side, based on the premise that there's pent up demand of people who are eager to cruise, plus reduced capacity on each ship -- and then discount selectively as they need to if they've priced things higher than the market will bear. But I think longtime and regular customers, and those who had cruises canceled, will be the ones most upset that the cruise lines aren't "taking care of them" by offering fares that, with FCCs added in, are below 2020 rates.

It will also be interesting to see if all the cruise lines move pretty much in lockstep with regard to pricing, or if some offer lower prices in a bid to generate volume and win new customers while others offer higher prices in a bid to capitalize on loyalty and demand in order to recoup their losses faster.

A good discussion of the dilemma facing the cruise industry.   I too suspect that prices will go up, it’s the how much that is the salient point.  I imagine it will differ largely from cruise product to cruise product.   The mass market huge ship lines need to fill their ships as full as they can to really make money.  They really do well with the couple who takes a 7-day cruise in  small cabin they got for $600 then runs up $2,000+ in onboard charges for liquor, specialty restaurants, spas, etc.  That business model runs counter to raising fares too much and driving off that cash source.  On the other hand you have the luxury and mostly all inclusive lines where the major source of revenue is indeed fares with relatively smaller onboard spending.   Those lines may indeed have to raise fares and might, because of the nature of their clientele, be able to do that without alienating a lot of cruisers.   Personally I haven’t given it much thought in terms of how much more would we be willing to spend to cruise with Silversea again.  I expect we’d be willing to pay a bit more but I have no idea of our level of tolerance.   Not going to give any cruise line that information.  😬

Edited by Randyk47
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, carefreecruise said:

Don't know if a new thread needs to be started for each month. We just had our May 2021 in Japan canceled. That makes five cruises canceled in 2020/2021. WHAT"S NEXT...

Really hard to tell what is going on but more than one or two passengers over on FaceBook have posted cruise cancellations out to May 2021.   Ships involved include the Moon, Shadow, Muse, and the Explorer.   Right now not every ship or every sailing date so time will tell if Silversea is just cleaning up their schedule or if they are clearing the schedule for early 2021 for a full reset.   Certainly there aren’t enough YouTube Silversea participants to cover every sailing of every ship.   

Edited by Randyk47

With the caveat that no official public announcement has been made by Silversea a YouTube Silversea passenger is reporting they got an email from their TA saying the Moon would not be coming to the Caribbean this coming winter.   That includes whatever South American itineraries they had on the schedule.  Poster said, if I understand the posting correctly, that amounted to three cancelled cruises for them.  No idea what the Moon will do after the first of the year.   

Edited by Randyk47

1 hour ago, Randyk47 said:

With the caveat that no official public announcement has been made by Silversea a YouTube Silversea passenger is reporting they got an email from their TA saying the Moon would not be coming to the Caribbean this coming winter.   That includes whatever South American itineraries they had on the schedule.  Poster said, if I understand the posting correctly, that amounted to three cancelled cruises for them.  No idea what the Moon will do after the first of the year.   

Randy the Moon TA to pireaus has been cancelled. It was in March

SS has updated the website.  Except for the Silver Origin, all January to March cruises are now cancelled.  First sailings are now April.

Silver Cloud:
•     E4210505012 - Silver Cloud will set sail on May 5, 2021

Silver Wind:
•     WI210614014 - Silver Wind will welcome guests once more from June 14, 2021

Silver Shadow:
•     SS210428012 - Silver Shadow will commence service once again from April 28, 2021

Silver Spirit:
•     SL210420007 - Silver Spirit will set sail on April 20, 2021

Silver Muse:
•     SM210520007 - From May 20, 2021, Silver Muse will resume sailing

Silver Whisper:
•     WH210620014 - Silver Whisper will commence service once again from June 20, 2021

Silver Explorer:
•     E1210624010 - Guests will cruise on Silver Explorer again from June 24, 2021

Silver Moon:
•     MO210401012 - Silver Moon will set sail on April 1, 2021

Silver Dawn:
•     DA211109010 - Silver Dawn will commence service from November 9, 2021

Silver Origin:
•     OR210206007 - From February 6, 2021, Silver Origin will resume sailing

1 hour ago, DCCruiser57 said:

SS has updated the website.  Except for the Silver Origin, all January to March cruises are now cancelled.  First sailings are now April.

Silver Cloud:

Silver Wind:
•     WI210614014 - Silver Wind will welcome guests once more from June 14, 2021

Silver Shadow:
•     SS210428012 - Silver Shadow will commence service once again from April 28, 2021

Silver Spirit:

Silver Muse:

Silver Whisper:
•     WH210620014 - Silver Whisper will commence service once again from June 20, 2021

Silver Explorer:
•     E1210624010 - Guests will cruise on Silver Explorer again from June 24, 2021

Silver Moon:

Silver Dawn:

Silver Origin:

This really should be on a new thread; these delays go far beyond what has been published before.

1 hour ago, spinnaker2 said:

I was told my sailing was suspended. I don' t know why that term was used except perhaps to avoid  legal implications of a term like cancelled.

Was that the language used in the Silversea email notifying you about your cruise or a term used by your TA or cruise consultant?

My cancellation email stated "Cancelled" including the subject line of the email:

IMPORTANT: Notice of Your Cruise Cancellation - Mr *********  - Silver Origin - San Cristobal (Galapguera) to  Baltra - 2021-01-16

Dear Esteemed Guest,

I hope this email finds you safe and well.

I am writing to inform you that due to the current unprecedented circumstances Silversea has taken the difficult decision to cancel your upcoming cruise departing on January 16th, 2021 aboard Silver Origin. 

Needless to say, we cannot wait to welcome you onboard soon. To compensate for this situation, which is completely beyond our control, we are pleased to extend the following offers for your consideration, so that you can sail with us when the time is right.

15% savings* on any new cruise on a future date, when booking before November 23rd, 2020. World Cruise excluded.

Please see the chart below where you can explore SIMILAR ALTERNATIVE DEPARTURES. 

Silver Origin
1/8/2022
OR220108007

Silver Origin
1/15/2022
OR220115007

Silver Origin
1/22/2022
OR220122007

Silver Origin
1/29/2022
OR220129007

Silver Origin
2/5/2022
OR220205007

Silver Origin
2/12/2022
OR220212007

b)    A Future Cruise Credit (FCC), valued at 110%* of the total booking amount to be used to reserve a cruise within 24 months of the issue date, for all open sailings. Future Cruise Credits are transferable to family and friends, and can be used partially and applied to more than one new booking.

As an added benefit, Venetian Society members, when transferring the booking to another voyage or selecting a Future Cruise Credit, will accumulate cruise days on the cancelled voyage as well as on the new voyage.*

If you prefer option (a), please contact your Travel Advisor before 23 November 2020.

If you prefer option (b), you do not need to do anything. On 24 November 2020, your Travel Advisor will automatically receive your FCC for 110% of the booking value via email. A cash refund option is also available, please consult with your Travel Advisor.

IMPORTANT: If you booked your Silversea Cruise as part of a package with a Tour Operator or Travel Agency, then please refer to them for the full terms and conditions of your overall package and any elements other than the cruise, as the 110% FCC may not apply.

While are deeply sorry to have to cancel a trip you were surely looking forward to; please note that in early December we will share with you exciting news about our new 2022/2023 season, new voyages which will offer even more opportunities to plan your next world exploration with us. Please, consult with your travel advisor. 

Edited by twangster

2 hours ago, DCCruiser57 said:

Interesting.  Maybe they anticipate/hope that the cruise could go forward if a vaccine gets out?  Or are they trying to prevent having to issue more refunds/FCCs?  

We either need more than one vaccine or the means to produce more quickly.  Pfizer is saying they could have up to 50 million dosages ready by the end of the year and 1 billion in 2021.   Sounds impressive but considering there are 7 billion +/- people in the world that’s not nearly enough quickly enough.    

4 hours ago, DCCruiser57 said:

Silver Cloud:

Silver Wind:

Silver Shadow:

Silver Spirit:

Silver Muse:

Silver Whisper:

Silver Explorer:

Silver Moon:

Silver Dawn:

Silver Origin:

Good to see that someone at SS logistics or marketing has a sense of humor and has decided that the Silver Moon will now commence its inaugural voyage on April Fools Day.

• 1 month later...

Was anyone else on Muse from Bali to Brisbane in December 2020?  Advised of cancellation of the cruise in November and my TA advised a full refund could be obtained and she would be applying for it for me.  Haven't heard a thing since then.  Has anyone else received a refund for this cruise?