Virtual treasure hunt.

Lanky Lad

I'm going to need your help with this one. I know what ship this is on and I know this photo was taken in 2010. But I'm not certain of the location on the ship, nor I hate to admit am I even certain who this is a portrait of. I'm sure you intrepid treasure hunters can tell me the exact location of this painting and enlighten me as to who is this.

image.thumb.png.11932c3f6dd0ed0ab6786a5d3f3bc669.png

20 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

I think it's just outside the Queen's Room in QM2

I think you're right. That was my best theory as to its location as well. That photo was taken onboard QM2 and the next photos I took starting about 15 minutes later were of afternoon tea in the Queens Room. I also have vague recollections of seeing that portrait while waiting outside the Queens Room for various receptions.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kynance said:

@Host Hattie - I think that drink might be a brandy Alexander? I seem to recall you’ve mentioned your penchant for them before? 😊

31 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Bonus point to @Kynance 😁

There was another drink besides the beer?  Who knew?  🙂

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I'm going to need your help with this one. I know what ship this is on and I know this photo was taken in 2010. But I'm not certain of the location on the ship, nor I hate to admit am I even certain who this is a portrait of. I'm sure you intrepid treasure hunters can tell me the exact location of this painting and enlighten me as to who is this.

image.thumb.png.11932c3f6dd0ed0ab6786a5d3f3bc669.png

As HH has said it's HM Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother.  The painting was on the original Queen Elizabeth, then moved to Caronia (I think), then D Stairway on QE2 next to the exit from the Theatre Balcony. 

There is a photograph of Roger Moore stood next to the Queen Mary piano (last seen in the Chart Room on QE2, with this painting in the background.  I believe that picture was taken on Caronia (not the most recent one).

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Lanky Lad said:

As HH has said it's HM Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother.  The painting was on the original Queen Elizabeth, then moved to Caronia (I think), then D Stairway on QE2 next to the exit from the Theatre Balcony. 

There is a photograph of Roger Moore stood next to the Queen Mary piano (last seen in the Chart Room on QE2, with this painting in the background.  I believe that picture was taken on Caronia (not the most recent one).

I had no idea that painting had such an illustrious history. Thanks for all those details.

21 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

That's Pol Aker & I think those are QM2 curtains & carpet.

Correct. That's the QM2 carpet prior to the remastering (the photo is from 2013). And I think that black outer ring on the table top is unique to QM2 as well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Correct. That's the QM2 carpet prior to the remastering (the photo is from 2013). And I think that black outer ring on the table top is unique to QM2 as well.

Based on the pictures I took of our cabins on the three ships, that table top design is only on QM2.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Perhaps I should have started a new name that drink thread

I've got lots of photos of drinks. The problem is that in the vast majority of cases I've no idea what they are.

In the Commodore Club a few years ago my wife couldn't decide what to have so the barman suggested "Something to match your dress?" (bright yellow) That went down well, so every evening after that when we walked in he would look her up and down and produce a matching drink. I'm sure half of them were invented on the spot.

• Haha 2