British Isles

ctompkins

I would think it would depend on the "route"... clockwise

or counter clockwise around the land masses. For our BI cruise,

the port side is good for Ireland. The starboard side is food for

Scotland and England.

• Like 2

Port or Starboard really doesn't make much difference. The itinerary has just a few non tropical sea days, but I would select port as my 1st choice.

Generally while sailing you are far from land overnight with little to see. In ports you are off the ship, not much balcony use. Sea days could be cool going around the north end of Scotland. In Cobh, Belfast and Greenock we docked port side to the dock. Docking directions could change based on operational conditions. In the post below you can see photos of a ship docked in Greenock starboard side to the dock. Not much to see from the ship in Cobh, just a rail station and cliff. In Greenock we experienced a bag pipe welcome both times we were there and had a view of the working docks. Belfast probably no different either side. One side will give you a view of the dock, the other a view across the channel to the Titanic dock and some city skyline. 

Edited by skynight

On 9/27/2020 at 5:48 AM, skynight said:

Port or Starboard really doesn't make much difference. The itinerary has just a few non tropical sea days, but I would select port as my 1st choice.

Generally while sailing you are far from land overnight with little to see. In ports you are off the ship, not much balcony use. Sea days could be cool going around the north end of Scotland. In Cobh, Belfast and Greenock we docked port side to the dock. Docking directions could change based on operational conditions. In the post below you can see photos of a ship docked in Greenock starboard side to the dock. Not much to see from the ship in Cobh, just a rail station and cliff. In Greenock we experienced a bag pipe welcome both times we were there and had a view of the working docks. Belfast probably no different either side. One side will give you a view of the dock, the other a view across the channel to the Titanic dock and some city skyline. 

Hi Folks,

Well, we will try this again!  After having 3 cruises cancelled during this pandemic, I went ahead and rebooked the British Isles sailing.  I did book a Port Side cabin!  I am being silly, and should step back and realize ANY view off of a cruise ship is gonna be a fabulous one.

Not sure if this happened to you, but almost all of the sailings on the Princess Crown were canceled, as they are redeploying that ship to the Caribbean and replacing her with the Sky.  There were 20 sailings moved to the Sky and 2 sailings to the Regal.  Please check the attached photo, listing all off the pertinent information.  I would suggest that if you see one of your sailing dates, call princess to rebook.  All of your monies, Cruise Credits (FCC), and On Board Credits (OBC) will transfer.7E0B606B-BB1F-44A4-ABF3-F5BCC71FE40A.thumb.jpeg.d08f90ac02f7e07e8cde6e4cbab9b3da.jpeg

Good Luck, Everyone!  Let’s get back to Cruising!!

Colleen

That's such a port intensive cruise I don't think it really matters. I remember when we did it, it's like you are in port all day, sail at night, and wake up in a new place. I loved that cruise and would love to do it again!!

Enjoy your cruise. 

• Like 1

On 9/26/2020 at 9:55 PM, ctompkins said:

Hey all,

When cruising the British Isles with a balcony cabin, better port views, Port or Starboard side??

Thanks, see you on board!

Colleen

I think it will be 50/50 on which side of ship is the better.  If you look at the itineraries they do vary even for the same cruise length.  Ports which sometimes are included sometimes not are: Portland England,  Holyhead Wales, Invergordon Scotland, Kirkwall Orkney Islands, Lerwick Shetland Islands, Belfast Northern Ireland and Liverpool England.   In my opinion look at the minor itinerary variation if there is somewhere you regard as a must.

Regards John

On 10/2/2020 at 6:48 AM, Travlin grrl said:

That's such a port intensive cruise I don't think it really matters. I remember when we did it, it's like you are in port all day, sail at night, and wake up in a new place. I loved that cruise and would love to do it again!!

Enjoy your cruise. 

This is a perfect plan by the way, Its always nice to arrive at the place in the morning and then just leave it at night. It really makes it feel like a real journey. I really hope that my next cruise will be very similar to yours. Take care my friend

• Like 1

On 10/8/2020 at 9:12 PM, HappyCruiserettu said:

Would love to do the Tattoo.

I have been on three cruises which offered the tattoo and twice been to Edinburgh on a land based holiday during the Military Tattoo period.  Princess obviously run the tattoo excursions when they are on but sometimes organise them from Glasgow, Greenock but more often Edinburgh, South Queensferry. Last time I went it was Edinburgh, Rosyth, (berthed alongside) on Pacific Princess.  The bigger ships cannot sail under the Forth Rail Bridge. They anchor just short of the bridge and run a tendering service.  Often this stop is an overnight, but Island seems to be leaving at 2am  early morning on the night of the tattoo.  

Regards John

On 10/2/2020 at 9:10 AM, john watson said:

I think it will be 50/50 on which side of ship is the better.  If you look at the itineraries they do vary even for the same cruise length.  Ports which sometimes are included sometimes not are: Portland England,  Holyhead Wales, Invergordon Scotland, Kirkwall Orkney Islands, Lerwick Shetland Islands, Belfast Northern Ireland and Liverpool England.   In my opinion look at the minor itinerary variation if there is somewhere you regard as a must.

Regards John

Thank you, Mr. Watson, great info.