Bartender/Server Tipping - Cash vs Card?

Barry ATL

6 minutes ago, Barry ATL said:

Do the card tips (the ones we write in on the slip) get pooled or does the bartender/server get the tip individually?   My assumption is the bartender/server keeps the cash tips.

Don't think it really matters, if the policy is to pool, they would be pooling either cash or credit.   

I've been told that servers in specialty restaurants prefer cash tips.  They don't get it all if it is written in on the slips as some go to the Maitre'D.  With all the drink packages, tips are pooled, so I usually give cash to a particular server/bartender.  🍷

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barry ATL said:

Do the card tips (the ones we write in on the slip) get pooled or does the bartender/server get the tip individually?   My assumption is the bartender/server keeps the cash tips.

Unless they worked as a bartender, recently, no one on here knows. Tipped workers in the US almost universally pool their tips, and this can be required as a term of employment. The ships don't follow US law, but the size of the gratuity on drinks is definitely in keeping with US tipping norms. I don't see it mattering, and frankly it's none of my business. If you want to give cash, give cash. But don't assume the bartender is keeping it.

Edited by markeb
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, RICCruisers said:

From my observance in the Martini Bar the cash tips are pooled. That’s why you hear the little bell ring when the BT picks up the cash. They put it in a tip jar. 

I am always a generous tipper.  At home, I tip $1.00/drink ordered.  On board, RCG already adds 18% to EACH drink.  So if you order a $15.00 martini, they add $2.70 to that...I'm not sorry but I feel that is a very generous tip for making me a drink.  I do however, usually have a favorite bar, and at day 1 or 2, I know which one I like most, so do hand them a $20 bill and it seems to go a long way in the service.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LGW59 said:

I am always a generous tipper.  At home, I tip $1.00/drink ordered.  On board, RCG already adds 18% to EACH drink.  So if you order a $15.00 martini, they add $2.70 to that...I'm not sorry but I feel that is a very generous tip for making me a drink.  I do however, usually have a favorite bar, and at day 1 or 2, I know which one I like most, so do hand them a $20 bill and it seems to go a long way in the service.  

I definitely do not think anyone tipping a dollar on a drink ordered in a major city Is a generous tipper.  , I normally tip 20 percent of the order, so we tip minimum 5 and up for drinks for us. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was told that if you tip the BT on your card the tips are pooled.   If you give them cash they can keep it, or as many BTs  do share it with the other BTs working with them. 

You can ask at GR, the CC host, or any of the employees.   You may get a honest answer 

Drink up 🧉🍺🍷🥤🍹

38 minutes ago, miched said:

I was told that if you tip the BT on your card the tips are pooled.   If you give them cash they can keep it, or as many BTs  do share it with the other BTs working with them. 

You can ask at GR, the CC host, or any of the employees.   You may get a honest answer 

Drink up 🧉🍺🍷🥤🍹

I would assume the answer from the BT is I keep it, as that’s the most likely to produce a cash tip, and maybe more assuming he or she is taking care of his helpers. And if they want clean glassware, they’re taking care of helpers, whether required or not. 

I would assume GS would decline to answer as that’s an internal business practice. 

HD at CC event would be.a crap shoot, but they shouldn’t answer. 

Edited by markeb

19 minutes ago, markeb said:

I would assume the answer from the BT is I keep it, as that’s the most likely to produce a cash tip, and maybe more assuming he or she is taking care of his helpers. And if they want clean glassware, they’re taking care of helpers, whether required or not. 

I would assume GS would decline to answer as that’s an internal business practice. 

HD at CC event would be.a crap shoot, but they shouldn’t answer. 

I think it depends who you ask.  Once I started cruising and being able to stay in suites, I learned a LOT from my butlers.  They have done many of the jobs on the ship and I trust them totally.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I think it depends who you ask.  Once I started cruising and being able to stay in suites, I learned a LOT from my butlers.  They have done many of the jobs on the ship and I trust them totally.

Which makes bizarre sense!

I do both.  Tip at least $1 -$2 per drink (depending if I'm sitting at the bar, or being served away from the bar).  I also choose a fave bar on the 1st or 2nd day, and tip a specific wonderful bartender $20.   That goes a long way toward developing the relationship with that crew member for superior service the remainder of the cruise! 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, LGW59 said:

$1 per drink was generous in 1975.

• Like 1

Now ---- we're getting some adrenalin lifting " good stuff " -- Tipping-- Love it !!

Take it from someone who got the " Inside Scoop " on tipping--- right from our waiters , the same people that prefer to keep the tip in their own pocket !!  Here's the " official " word -- " If you give the gratuity directly to me in cash, I get to keep it. If you add it onto the bill , it is shared in a pool for that restaurant ". 

Next--- Any thought about  Slobs at the Buffet , Lounge chair hogs, Tank tops in Specialty restaurants --- or even Who's on board ????

• Like 1

Good intel!  Don’t even get me going on the buffet veterans.  I never eat at the buffet but can be the best spot on board to “observe “ the buffet mentality, i.e.how much food can I fit on my plate that I will never eat.  Oh the good ole days...bring them back!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1