PVP or no PVP?

mk-ultra

I'll be honest.  It's a little creepy to mock-price a cruise on Princess or Carnival websites, and then have PVPs calling me a day later.  One of the selling points they tout is re-pricing the cruise if the price drops.

Anyone experienced a real advantage when using PVPs?  I usually take care of this stuff on my own on other cruise lines.

Edited by mk-ultra

6 minutes ago, EDDY0827 said:

Doing a mock booking gives the price before giving any info. I just did one for a SF r/t. No personal info asked.

I get a phone call from my PVP any time I go through looking at specific sailing dates and cabins.  I'm more than happy to work with a PVP if it is mutually beneficial.

Edited by mk-ultra

Select your cabin from the deck plan.

Next screen shows details on that cabin with a break down including all passengers in the cabin and the port taxes. You can also choose your dining .

After you get the info you want, close the page. No personal info given. I don't have a PVP assigned to me that I know of.

2 minutes ago, EDDY0827 said:

Select your cabin from the deck plan.

Next screen shows details on that cabin with a break down including all passengers in the cabin and the port taxes. You can also choose your dining .

After you get the info you want, close the page. No personal info given. I don't have a PVP assigned to me that I know of.

I'm pretty certain being logged-in while doing searches is what gets passed to a PVP. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, mk-ultra said:

Anyone experienced a real advantage when using PVPs?  I usually take care of this stuff on my own on other cruise lines.

Many here have had to deal recently with cancelled cruises, where deposit monies have gone, etc... Real headaches! You too, you say?

The advantage I've seen in the present situation is instead of spending up to an hour on hold, I have a direct line to my assigned PVP. Emails are responded to, usually within minutes. But if they're calling too much, just say so. They're sales people, but they don't want to lose you either.

1 hour ago, mtnesterz said:

Many here have had to deal recently with cancelled cruises, where deposit monies have gone, etc... Real headaches! You too, you say?

The advantage I've seen in the present situation is instead of spending up to an hour on hold, I have a direct line to my assigned PVP. Emails are responded to, usually within minutes. But if they're calling too much, just say so. They're sales people, but they don't want to lose you either.

I really don't have a specific gripe with any CCL company.  I had two cruises cancelled (1 Princess and 1 Carnival), like a lot of folks here.  It took ~70 days to be refunded, but I was made whole in the end.  I also had an RCL cruise cancelled, and refund times were similar when all of this stuff got crazy.

It sounds like having a PVP in your corner was an advantage, and that's the kind of experience I'm curious about hearing about.

Edited by mk-ultra

My PVP transferred my FCC to another booked cruise & deposit notated to go there once processed in a few days from the Enchanted Princess TA canceled last Thursday. I'm also on the list to have the same balcony room & 850 OBC on the replacement European TA once it's released (10/2 or 10/13?)

I'll get an email and a week to accept once it's done 

13 hours ago, EDDY0827 said:

Try it not logged in.

Yes, that will be anonymous, but you also don't see the pricing that applies to repeat customers (CC Members).  This is typically $100 less, but my vary depending on voyage type.  So, if not logged in, you are not seeing the right pricing.

Another option is to find another website that quotes Princess prices and enter your CC info there and you will see the appropriate pricing and PVP won't know a thing about it. 

And you can always ask the PVP to stop calling you.  

12 hours ago, mk-ultra said:

That's the kind of info I'm looking for.

PVP's are probably most helpful to newer cruisers IMO.  I'd much rather use an independent TA who gives me a generous discount off the cruise fare - and that is something PVP's cannot do.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, mk-ultra said:

I had two cruises cancelled (1 Princess and 1 Carnival), like a lot of folks here.  It took ~70 days to be refunded, but I was made whole in the end.  I also had an RCL cruise cancelled, and refund times were similar when all of this stuff got crazy.

Two cruises cancelled outright and one where the ship was sold before the end of its posted schedule. All with Princess. Reason for mentioning is that with incentives, we've now got a tidy bank of FCC by taking their offer.  Worth considering rather than refunding. But as you cruise with different lines, that might not be of interest.

Responding to Steelers36. I must not be looking at the right TAs. Online "discounter" prices and perks listed are the same as the line. Paying full fare with many added perks notwithstanding.

I have a great PVP but she doesn’t call me unless she has a price drop for me
But does she give you 8 to 10% of her commission as a discount or OBC?

US discount travel agents do that.
They even bid better and better discounted prices and/or OBC, in order to get your business
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, drsel said:

But does she give you 8 to 10% of her commission as a discount or OBC?

US discount travel agents do that.
They even bid better and better discounted prices and/or OBC, in order to get your business

The last TA I had forgot to send in my final payment and I almost missed out on the cruise.  That was the end of my dealing with TA’s

The last TA I had forgot to send in my final payment and I almost missed out on the cruise.  That was the end of my dealing with TA’s

My present TA has an automatic final payment system.

But the previous one required me to phone or email to authorise them to use my credit card on file, to make the final payment.

they cannot do it without my knowledge and permission.

But they send reminders

OP,  I am pleased to see that others have had great PVPs.  So, they are out there.

In 10 years I have had three PVPs (that I know of).  I don't think any of them added value to me.  I don't think I ever caught one at their desk when I called.  Admittedly, that should not be surprising since their job is to be on the telephone.  I love voice mail, but I never received what I would call a timely response to one of my voice messages.  If I received a response, it was not the same day.  More than once there was no response.  If I wanted something to happen quickly, I would not enter the PVPs extension number.  Rather I would just speak with whatever agent was queued up for the next call and take care of my business.

Never has a PVP taken the initiative to refare me at a lower price.

As I opened, I am really pleased that people have been connected to PVPs who take the extra step to add good customer service and, thus, add value.  Someday, I may get one.

I always log onto my account before I start looking at cruises.  I figure it may not help. but it certainly doesn't hurt.  So, they know when I'm looking, but I don't think I have ever received an unsolicited call from a PVP asking if I wanted assistance with a booking.  I always screen my calls before picking up.  So, if one calls, he/she can talk to my voice mail.  I think you may have an eager youngster who is trying his/her best to drum up some business.  I really can't see anything wrong with that.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have found our PVP goes above and beyond and only contacts me when she’s aware of what I’m after. The main benefit for me is that Princess will help me with any problems or questions, on the other hand if I go with a TA Princess won’t answer my questions to do with that booking. Had that issue this year.

I have a terrific PVP who handles things with alacrity and no long “hold” phone calls.  And truly personal service. She gets FCC extensions, finds cabins when all Princess shows are guarantees, gets through to EzAir when the lines are clogged, etc. etc.  Yes, I could probably do it all on my own.  But honestly just hearing her upbeat cherry voice on the phone these days makes her a travel buddy as well as a PVP. 

We would not even dream of using a PVP or even the Princess web site to do a mock or real booking.  The reality is that we can save 7-10% (sometimes more) by booking through any of our favored cruise agencies...all of whom have online booking engines that also give us real time booking info (without being bugged by a PVP).  Consider that we have returned home from some long Princess cruises and several weeks later received a nice check (once it was over $1000) for all the unused On Board Credits we had...because we booked through a decent cruise agency who gave us lots of OBC.

Hank

• Like 3

Just now, Hlitner said:

We would not even dream of using a PVP or even the Princess web site to do a mock or real booking.  The reality is that we can save 7-10% (sometimes more) by booking through any of our favored cruise agencies...all of whom have online booking engines that also give us real time booking info (without being bugged by a PVP).  Consider that we have returned home from some long Princess cruises and several weeks later received a nice check (once it was over $1000) for all the unused On Board Credits we had...because we booked through a decent cruise agency who gave us lots of OBC.

I once asked a Princess rep why they do not match the deals offered by cruise agencies and told them we would book direct if they would do a deal match.  The Princess rep simply told me "we do not compete with cruise/travel agencies."  The agencies handle over 80% of all bookings so they are too valuable to undercut.

Hank

• Like 1

On 12/12/2020 at 7:11 AM, ProfMHC said:

I have a terrific PVP who handles things with alacrity and no long “hold” phone calls.  And truly personal service. She gets FCC extensions, finds cabins when all Princess shows are guarantees, gets through to EzAir when the lines are clogged, etc. etc.  Yes, I could probably do it all on my own.  But honestly just hearing her upbeat cherry voice on the phone these days makes her a travel buddy as well as a PVP. 

This is my experience as well.  I email and ask her to call when she has a minute to talk.  I hold while she contacts other departments for my requests, if necessary.  If she can't do what I want, I hang up knowing why and what my options are. 

• Like 1