Which Cruise Lines Have Best Internet?

jtwind

We typically leave our phones at home.  We do not have data on either.  The last two times when we have taken one phone....Mexico, Australia, Thailand we did not see the need to even other buying a local sim card.  For months at a time.  Most eateries and accommodations have good internet.  Gratis.

We do take our ipads.   The only time we use cruise line internet is when it is free as part of a perk.  Don't miss it one bit.  I cannot remember every buying on board internet service.  Too expensive, too slow, poor value for us.

Edited by iancal

8 minutes ago, iancal said:

We typically leave our phones at home.  We do not have data on either.  The last two times when we have taken one phone....Mexico, Australia, Thailand we did not see the need to even other buying a local sim card.  For months at a time.  Most eateries and accommodations have good internet.  Gratis.

We do take our ipads.   The only time we use cruise line internet is when it is free as part of a perk.  Don't miss it one bit.  I cannot remember every buying on board internet service.  Too expensive, too slow, poor value for us.

I bring my iPad -  great for taking pictures from the ship, but that is about all.  When traveling overseas we bring one Mobal cell phone - cheap to purchase, but high minute rate, which does not matter because it is only used to make infrequent, but actually necessary, contact.  We essentially drop off the net when traveling —- isn’t a large purpose of getting away to get away?

Most of our travel is by land.  If we do take a cruise, two or three days between port stops is our limit.   We do depend on our ipads.  When on land, our travel reservations are usually done two or three days in advance, sometimes less.  Not so much on a cruise with the exception of a precruise night and a post cruise night as required.

Really, we need facebook etc. when we are travelling like we need a tootheache.   We need to keep in touch with our children/grandchildren once in a while, perhaps pay a bill or transfer money, check with our neighbour every so often to make sure the house is still there,  and make onward travel arrangements.   That's it.  We purposely have not added data to our cell plans.   Don't want to be tethered.

Edited by iancal

20 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

It think the OP... is talking about.... some people who are addicted to social media...

and they simply can't disconnect......

Agreed.  Cruise Critic and other similar internet forums are the last thing on my mind when I'm on vacation.  Even when it's not a cruise, I just can't imagine spending a day in a beautiful national park and thinking....ooh, I gotta go post my opinions on Cruise Critic.  🙄

32 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Agreed.  Cruise Critic and other similar internet forums are the last thing on my mind when I'm on vacation.  Even when it's not a cruise, I just can't imagine spending a day in a beautiful national park and thinking....ooh, I gotta go post my opinions on Cruise Critic.  🙄

That it one of thing about going on a cruise I love it is the only time I don't take my laptop....

To busy relaxing and deciding what to do next, or what to eat or drink.........

But the main reason one takes the laptop, is for checking and edit photos I have taken...

Sometime use the ship's computers to check emails..... if something is happening, but otherwise not.

Don

I would take my desk top if I could :classic_wink:

Seriously though....We enjoy having RCI's surf/stream...We bring our firestick to watch movies

on Netflix....no longer interested in the night life onboard but we love to relax and watch a movie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

I would take my desk top if I could :classic_wink:

Seriously though....We enjoy having RCI's surf/stream...We bring our firestick to watch movies

on Netflix....no longer interested in the night life onboard but we love to relax and watch a movie.

Do you have to be in port for that to work?

2 hours ago, jtwind said:

Do you have to be in port for that to work?

No...at sea...I'm sure that doesn't matter...however when we're in port we're off the ship so no reason 

for us to need to try.

18 hours ago, jtwind said:

Exactly!  If it is an option, and  it has enough speed to post lots of pictures, an internet package would be purchased, regardless of price.

I don't get the idea of wanting/needing confirmation from others, that yes, you had a great day.  I call it bragging.  It is absolutely the only sticky situation in our blissful marriage.  Folks take a chunk out of their day to tell folks about memorable experiences, when they could be using that time to make more memorable experiences.

1. Make sure she knows about how expensive roaming data is so she isn’t tempted to use  that 

2. I typically don’t purchase internet on the cruise so can’t compare cruise lines. But I did use Norwegians internet by the minute plan on my last cruise to post a couple times to social media. It was fine for posting text but uploading photos were very slow compared to land wifi.