Dreaming of a ''World Cruise'' I may be insane what do you think.

dolittle

22 hours ago, Smokeyham said:

Could you tell us a little more about what the differences were?

I have made many posts about the differences that I experienced on the HAL and other CC Boards.  Have you done any searching for these?

Highlights of the differences, briefly;

2007:  the HD was "an old hand" for a world cruise.  2008's HD was a "newbie" and did not deal with those "entitled ones" well.

2008:  the CD "encouraged" guest involvement in the on-board programming.  A tablemate of mine who was an expert in his field offered to provide a program--which the CD accepted--but then the facilities that my tablemate needed to provide a decent program:  "Not available".  Such requests were a joke as other "presenters" discovered.  A majority of his staff were not qualified for their duties.  The staff member who conducted the Trivia games was "run over" by the guests.  Only the Assistant CD met my expectations.

2007:  as a guest who embarked at the port for the final segment of the cruise, I was welcomed "into the group" even when I was seated in the MDR with two couples who were full world cruise guests.  

2008:  My MDR table was the "table from hell", finally avoided by the Maitre d' when he made his "rounds".  Only one of the Assistant Maitre d's was able to provide the expected service that I expected.  Cliques were noticeable.  Did not observe that in 2007.   

2007:  During my brief time aboard, the enrichment programs that I attended were interesting and informative.  

2008:  Some of the enrichment programs were worth attending.  Some were little more than the "expert" being a name-dropper of those who were in the public domain.

The 2008 Grand World Cruise was the Golden Anniversary World Cruise for HAL.  The itinerary was unique.  I booked it expecting something "really" special.  There was one special event:  the party in Istanbul.  Lots of very nice pillow gifts and gifts received prior to sailing.  One of the pillow gifts was given inappropriately.  A cruise journal was one of the last gifts received shortly before arriving back to Fort Lauderdale.  (The HD's excuse was that they were in boxes that had just been discovered (!).       

In summary, the difference was in the people whom influenced my experience.  There were many, many guests and crew members during my 2008 cruise who were welcoming, friendly, engaging, and some with whom I have maintained contact since 2008.  Not all negative to be sure.  But, for a Golden Anniversary World Cruise for HAL, it did fell short in some respects.

I agree completely that tablemates Make or Break a long cruise. We ‘open seat’ dine for the first week then dine with likeminded people we have met socially aboard ship. A great many lifelong friends now from such occasions. One infamous Transatlantic cruise found our Table-for-Eight soon down to one boor eating all alone for weeks. Ha!!

If you are not happy with your table seating, a quiet word with the Maître d will usually see you changed.  You should be able to enjoy your meal with pleasant company.  I have  only asked once to be moved and it was done with no fuss but wish I had done this more often.  Particularly on a 54 night cruise where one woman seemed to think I was interested in her husband, I was but only because he was a great conversationalist.  She spent most dinners with her hand over her mouth whispering to another woman seated beside her.

2 hours ago, Gwendy said:

If you are not happy with your table seating, a quiet word with the Maître d will usually see you changed.  

My experience on Queen Mary 2, 2006 Caribbean cruise from New York at a table for 6 with two empty seats on nights #1 and #2.  A table that "jelled" quickly on night #1.  Night #3 our obnoxious Assistant Maitre d' seated a Mother and daughter in those two empty seats.  The complexion of the table immediately--shall I emphasize--immediately changed.  After two more such "pleasant dinners", my dining companions and me had had enough.  After that dinner, that obnoxious Assistant Maitre d' and I had a conversation and it was not a "quiet" word in the sense that my table mates and I were most unhappy.  Such ladies disappeared the next evening.  The rest of the story:  our table was table #3 where they had been seated because the previous two tables were displeased with their attendance.  They ended up at a table for two in the dining room which was where they ought to have been initially.

Sometimes, a "quiet" word is not enough, while, it usually is.