Dreaming of a ''World Cruise'' I may be insane what do you think.

dolittle

9 hours ago, ldubs said:

"Could this come true or am I insane."

Wasn't it according to Catch 22 that if you think you are insane then you are not insane.  

Yeah, good catch - I believe it was Doc Daneeka that explained catch-22 in his "crazy" dialogue (the catch-22 being the situation (grounding) in which the solution was impossible to attain because of inherently illogical rules/conditions).   

So, extrapolating, taking (or dreaming of) a world cruise would not be insane. 😎

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gwendy said:

Last year I thought about buying a new car, my son laughed at me considering how little I drive these days.  I reconsidered and booked sector of world cruise from Dover to Brisbane for 54 days.  So glad I did, much better memories than having a new car.

will I be able to cruise again on my own whenever it gets back to “normal”?  Who knows we are all getting older.

We can have anything we want but not everything we want.

World Cruises are overpriced in my opinion, if they do not include alcohol speciality dining, shore excursions or Wi-Fi.

There are plenty of cruises (of various lengths), below $80 per person per night.

But even the cheapest cabin on any World Cruise is well over $100 per person per night.

compare this with the transatlantic, trans Pacific and repositioning Cruises which are really amazingly cheap!

I say, if you have the health and finances, go, if that what you want to do.  The saying is "tomorrow is not promised to anybody".  You can't take money with you in the grave and the kids will spend what you leave like water.  Off topic but, It amazes me that kids think your money is their money.  I say enjoy and live your only life.

2 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

Where is my Citation X?   I guess I am not visualizing my want correctly and sufficiently 😎

Aw, come on now, you know you don't really want one, don't you???????? 🙂 You just think that you do.

17 minutes ago, clo said:

Aw, come on now, you know you don't really want one, don't you???????? 🙂 You just think that you do.

I definitely want a Citation X.  After all, it's the world's fastest private aircraft.  However, I also know that I neither need the aircraft nor can I afford to purchase it or maintain one.  

Edited by SelectSys

1 hour ago, dolittle said:

Thanks everyone, I have never gotten so much wisdom on any site in my life .I will keep dreaming and looking.

1 hour ago, dolittle said:

Thanks everyone, I have never gotten so much wisdom on any site in my life .I will keep dreaming and looking.

To quote  Nike, just do it. 

Not knowing anything about the OP it is difficult to judge  But there are many of us who do take longer cruises and see it as a wonderful way to spend time :).  A world cruise is a bit different because of the number of days and also total cost.  If you can afford the price then you must think about all the logistics tied to the length of the trip.   But if you have the time and money it is a fantastic thing for many folks.  My only caveat is that if the OP has routinely taken some longer cruises (such as 30-60 day) then they will already know they are comfy being a ship for longer periods of time.  But if the OP has primarily done 7 - 14 day cruises we would suggest first trying something a bit lounger (30-60 days) before committing to 100+ days.  Not everyone is happy on the really long voyages and its one of those things where it might be wise to work your way up to the really long trips.

I must admit that the idea of a 180 day cruise (Oceania has done these) does sound very tempting :).

Hank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The requirement for so many visas for a world Cruise just doesn't make sense.

Why would someone who can afford a world Cruise want to abandon the country that made him so rich in the first place?

And live illegally in another foreign country, where he has absolutely no assets, nothing?

1 hour ago, drsel said:

And live illegally in another foreign country, where he has absolutely no assets, nothing?

Usually when someone wealthy is on the run they do have assets in other countries. They hold money in off shore accounts just for tax purposes and thanks to the internet not hard to transfer money from the Caymans to South of France😉. If you make a loop hole with the visa like world cruise exemptions someone will take advantage. 

On 10/5/2020 at 11:46 AM, babs135 said:

I don't know know old you are but Financial wise may be it's a question of spending up to the line that you figure you will need to make sure that you spend your 'twilight years' in relative comfort (thinking of health care, perhaps a nursing home, etc).  The problem is,  as I suspect it is for many, where is the line?  

If you're one of the lucky ones who have an idea of the answer, then go for it otherwise you may regret it at some point down the line .

While I won't say you are completely wrong, what really sounds more comfortable? Thinking about a nursing home, or taking the trip of your life before it ends?

While I won't say you are completely wrong, what really sounds more comfortable? Thinking about a nursing home, or taking the trip of your life before it ends?
It's more comfortable to take the trip of your lifetime and expect, rather hope that your children will look after you in your old age!

6 hours ago, drsel said:

The requirement for so many visas for a world Cruise just doesn't make sense.

Why would someone who can afford a world Cruise want to abandon the country that made him so rich in the first place?

A few visas are a hassle to obtain, but most are just transactional -- you pay a small fee and in return you get the required visa. Most are no more or less than the US requires of other nationalities.

Edited by cruisemom42

A few visas are a hassle to obtain, but most are just transactional -- you pay a small fee and in return you get the required visa. Most are no more or less than the US requires of other nationalities.
I am talking about the hassle to get visas that you cannot buy on board The Cruise ship

36 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

For me it has to be the trip of a lifetime , but DH is far more caution than I am and, short of winning the lottery, a world cruise will sadly remain a wish and nothing more .  I could , of course , go on my own but I suspect that the single person supplement would be eye-watering. 🤣

6 minutes ago, drsel said:
17 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I am talking about the hassle to get visas that you cannot buy on board The Cruise ship

Russia has a work-around for cruise passengers. Brazil has dropped their cumbersome process. Other than India and China, which visas are a hassle for US citizens?

• Thanks 1

Russia has a work-around for cruise passengers. Brazil has dropped their cumbersome process. Other than India and China, which visas are a hassle for US citizens?
You are only talking about citizens of one country. what about citizens of 180 other countries, who want to do a world Cruise?