The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

1 minute ago, dogs4fun said:

Your logic wasn't twisted - it was my rather feeble attempt at a hint. Thought it was the Mariyinsky but when you said "no" to the standard, I thought I was mistaken & had to do a bit of digging.  

I find it interesting that many of Rastrelli's Russian Baroque palaces look so similar. 

I have not been to the Ukraine but found it based on your guys hints. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ljandgb said:

I was Russia inspired. It is a gorgeous building. I could have spent all day chasing light and taking pictures. 

Honestly - I went to so many churches when in Russia, many of the insides I can not tell apart. It felt like port after port was getting off the ship, going into a church that looked like the one the day before. When I got back, my life at work was crazy, I did not mark my pictures. I was noticing that yesterday when pulling up my Russian pics. I also did not have my handy iPhone which now marks where my pictures are taken (love that). 

9 minutes ago, Coral said:

I have not been to the Ukraine but found it based on your guys hints. 

The first photos I saw of the palace were of the front facade. As is often the case, the garden facade is different, this is the one here with the staircase. Found it too late to answer. This guy Rastrelli seems to have found his own style, although they are of course similar to other Baroque and Rococo palaces. This garden facade reminded me of the one of Engers Palace on the Rhine which I posted close to the beginning of this thread. In Engers the VIP's did not arrive by carriage to the stairs but on a boat. Oh, I would love that, a lit up staircase and chamber music coming from the ballroom...

Perhaps that is an idea for a special excursion on a river cruise?

notamermaid

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Coral said:

Church of Savior on the Spilled Blood/Church of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ, St. Petersburg. Neva river.

You got it. Your turn. 

I felt the same about European churches. No more for me unless there is something truly unusual inside. 

4 minutes ago, ljandgb said:

You got it. Your turn. 

I felt the same about European churches. No more for me unless there is something truly unusual inside. 

If you had not said "this will probably be easy" I probably thought it could be one of many I had been in. Probably because I hit a ton of small towns in Russia.

Edited by Coral

18 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

This guy Rastrelli seems to have found his own style, although they are of course similar to other Baroque and Rococo palaces.

Bartolomeo Rastrelli was an 18th century architect & one of the greatest architects active in Russia during that period. Rastrelli developed a distinct style of architecture known as Russian Baroque. Among other structures, he was the architect of:

Catherine Palace, Winter Palace (aka Hermitage), Peterhof Palace, Smolny Cathedral, Summer Palace, Hermitage Pavilion, Vorontsov Palace, Stroganov Palace, Mariyinsky Palace (Kyiv), St, Andrew's Church (Kyiv).

He was a busy guy. 

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ljandgb said:

You got it. Your turn. 

This is true story. I was first in Leningrad in 1988. I walked that area many times, saw all the sites - had a great time. We were never rushed.....

Later, and wiser, I wondered why I did not see the Church on Spilled Blood as it is one of the most popular sites. So when I went back, I sat there staring at the Church wondering how the heck I missed it - it is just right there, there is no way I could have missed it.

My guide then informed me that it was under restoration when I had been there previously. The entire building had to have been completely covered as there is no way to miss this church.

2 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Bartolomeo Rastrelli was an 18th century architect & one of the greatest architects active in Russia during that period. Rastrelli developed a distinct style of architecture known as Russian Baroque. Among other structures, he was the architect of:

Catherine Palace, Winter Palace (aka Hermitage), Peterhof Palace, Smolny Cathedral, Summer Palace, Hermitage Pavilion, Vorontsov Palace, Stroganov Palace, Mariyinsky Palace (Kyiv), St, Andrew's Church (Kyiv).

He was a busy guy. 

I love all of those places (well the ones I have visited)! I feel incredibly stupid - it wasn't until this board recently that I realized Kiev changed it's name. I even work with a Professor from there.....

• Like 1

Just now, Coral said:

I love all of those places (well the ones I have visited)! I feel incredibly stupid - it wasn't until this board recently that I realized Kiev changed it's name. I even work with a Professor from there.....

You are not stupid or, if you are, I am right there with you. jpalbny informed me that the correct name is Kyiv - I still called it Kiev. I knew about the different pronunciation - in fact, if you watched some of the Senate hearings earlier this year, the Ambassador to Ukraine pronounced it Kyiv. 

After some reading of Russian/Ukrainian history, I now realize why the Ukrainian nationals want it written and pronounced in their language rather than the Russian. So, out of respect, I will do my best to remember Kyiv rather than Kiev (although my piano music still writes it as Kiev).

4 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Is this an Easter market in Vienna?

I am going to say it is not a market. You are somewhat correct that there is a holiday theme. Not Vienna.

It is a place that when I told people I was going to go to this city - everyone said I had to come here.

4 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

I remember a Christmas store in Salzburg that had similar egg shaped ornaments.

The store is called Christmas in Salzburg. I was so mesmerized - I wanted to buy some but didn't as I couldn't decide. I think they are real blown out eggs. Your turn.

Here are a few more pics:

IMG_0428.thumb.jpeg.636678d0b5a6527c684d4490c166517f.jpeg

IMG_0420.thumb.jpeg.0242bd10124ef2da137c5ebd84996f16.jpeg

IMG_0419 2.jpeg

Edited by Coral

Beautiful. That’s a LOT of blown eggs. Surely they have an arrangement with a bakery or restaurant for all the insides!

This was my other choice for a pic this morning. 
This is a popular excursion from a river cruise.  Name the location and river. 

4ADD8F77-52A2-4571-9299-D7BF031D337A.jpeg

1 hour ago, dogs4fun said:

Wow - that is a fantastic photo of Triton. Definitely an unattractive guy. 🤭

Oh, him. That makes more sense than Poseidon. Poseidon normally looks more attractive than Triton.

Sintra? My, what an idea to put a Greek god on a hill in Portugal... I like the overall appearance of the castle, though.

notamermaid