The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

4 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

photo-op at Convento de Cristo Aqueduct

I can give you that for free!

But I'm warning you, it's kind of scary. That aqueduct is tall and there is no barrier to keep you from falling over the edge. Take a look at this picture - to my left, it's a huge drop off. You can see that we're up above the utility poles! And look how tall the shadows of the aqueduct are.

1992426604_PortugalAlbum-147.thumb.jpg.fafe60cb4c9f7d94ca5b6a8aa093e616.jpg

And yes, I'm really hanging on for dear life. Chris, on the other hand, is loving it up here. Totally relaxed.

638779622_PortugalAlbum-146.thumb.jpg.76a97221f966431fbb78c543a7ff2a2d.jpg

Ok, that concludes your photo stop at the Aaueducto do Convento de Cristo.

Now, would someone please put me out of my misery and guess my picture? I've told you the name of the restaurant, and the picture of our table includes a place mat that has the first few letters of the town...

Otherwise I'll have to give the answer and post another picture! @notamermaid, is that allowed?

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 1

@jpalbny I noticed late last night that over all this raving about Portugal people seem to have forgotten that there is a photo location to guess! Completely understandable with Portugal and I know I have added fuel to the enthusiasm. Guilty.

So I would say we will give it a few hours and if I am back at my computer by then, try and guess myself.

Beat me to it people! We do not want this to be the first photo that is "officially un-guessed".

notamermaid

44 minutes ago, Mitina said:

Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Oliveira (Our Lady of Oliveira) in Guimarães, Portugal

Guimarães, yes! A charming city that can be visited as an excursion from Porto, but we drove by and found free parking on a street near the castle. In addition to the namesake castle, you can visit a ducal palace, and other nice churches. There is an archaeology museum that we wanted to visit but it was closed for lunch while we were there. So, we found this beautiful square for our own lunch. A very pleasant stop.

We have a winner! Thanks, Mitina. Over to you.

Castle, ducal palace and archeological museum. And an old square for lunch. Notamermaid wants to go there! Fast. I have had a look at train travel. 26 hours. Not too bad, but may consider flying, that is nine hours including travel to airport and check-in.

Thanks, Mitina.

notamermaid

Dresden, Elbe ... can't remember the name of the church though. 😟

It is a photo of the old tower cross that was recovered from the rubble. Help me out someone, what was the name of the church?

Edited by dogs4fun

Okaayy, that is not the Lorelei :classic_wink:. Has she got a fleece or a woolen cape draped around her? I cannot identify what she is holding, some kind of tool for dealing with the fleece and a mace?

I am wondering if this is a reference to tribes in a French influenced part of Northern America.

notamermaid

@notamermaid, it's definitely Paris. This is a common theme from the age of colonial rule - a set of statues representing symbolic people from each continent, often the territories ruled by the colonial power.

Have you ever seen the statues at the base of the Albert Memorial in London? These are similar. There is no statue for Antarctica here, though.

Aahh, thanks, now I get the French influence. I have seen the Albert Memorial in real life but do not remember much about it.

Perhaps she is French Polynesian as idea? Anyway, will need to leave it to others to find the solution in detail. I could not find it when I had a short glance at Paris statues so had widened my circle as a result, having misunderstood the "French influence".

notamermaid

Correct!  Right, a kangaroo??  You don't see that in your usual European sculptures.

It's part of a 6 piece collection commissioned from 6 different artists for the 1878 World's Fair representing the continents.  She is L'Oceania (Australia.)  All 6 had been on display along the Trocadero until 1937, then disappeared.  In 1963 were discovered in a dump (!).  They were rescued and installed eventually at the Musee d'Orsay, at least all according to this website.  Scroll to the bottom and you can see each statue in detail.

Continents – Zacha's Bay Window Gallery (williamzacha.com)

acwmom, your turn.

Edited by ljandgb
  • Like 2