The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

That was amazingly close. I was writing my reply when I got a "ping" from my browser that knoxclone had replied.

OK, here goes. Name the river and the town that you can see in the photo. The first one to guess gets to post the next photo.

This looks like a great place to enjoy a glass or two. Where are we?

426708974_CCPic20.thumb.jpg.fb1408ee84a18c9ab189d79907dc0259.jpg

• Like 1

OK, here goes. Name the river and the town that you can see in the photo. The first one to guess gets to post the next photo.

This maybe too easy, But the majority of my photos have either a sign in them  ( so I can remember where the heck I was!) or my DH 🙂

IMG_0241.thumb.jpg.84e3cc99782780fa342933f952cfcec9.jpg

It looks like the lion is guarding the entrance gate to a town, he is most likely holding the cross of Lorraine depicted on the shield. But the double barred cross is also used elsewhere, so I am not sure. The steeped gables of the buildings and the red tiles in abundance point to Flanders. A bit puzzling...

notamermaid

3 minutes ago, knoxclone said:

Yep - Menin gate.  WW1 excursion on Viking during Tulip Time cruise.

You're up!

I think I've mentioned that we lived in Belgium in the mid 90s for 3 1/2 years.  Flanders made an impact on me like no other location in the country.  We arrived in Brussels in early January 1994 and experience over 90 consecutive days of measurable rain.  When we visited Ypres and the still visible trenches it was almost unimaginable what those soldiers endured.  Every time it rained in Belgium I thought of that.

In the 5th grade our son's class trip was 3 days to Flanders.  One of the 5th grade teachers, who was in her 70s at that time, was the child of a British soldier who fought in Flanders and survived WWI.  She did an amazing job of preparing the students.  They all learned In Flanders Field by John McCrae:

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

The Menin Gate is the memorial to over 50,000 British and Commonwealth soldiers whose were reported missing and whose bodies were never found.  The teacher actually pointed out names of some of her father's friends.  They then attended The Last Post when everything in town stopped and a group of buglers plays The Last Post.

Our son is in his mid 30s now and doesn't remember much about elementary school (except for sports!) but he vividly remembers that class trip.

Give me a few minutes to find a photo.

4 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Is this the place where they make and store the Mardi Gras floats for the parade in New Orleans? It's called Mardi Gras World. On the Mississippi, of course.

You’re right!  It was a very interesting tour of the largest floats workshop in New Orleans for the 54  Mardi Gras parades.  You can watch the artists at work year round and decorations are frequently recycled and repurposed.  Unfortunately the 2021 parades in New Orleans have been canceled due to the pandemic.

Your turn.

35 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Is this the place where they make and store the Mardi Gras floats for the parade in New Orleans? It's called Mardi Gras World. On the Mississippi, of course.

Wow, this place was just on the "latest" series of "The Amazing Race" that was screened here in Aus. I wondered when it may have been filmed - surely not this year!!

Mardi Gras - Interesting. The cows and the stuff behind reminded me of building Carnival floats but a little different in style than we use in the Rhineland. It does not look as if any gatherings will happen during our season in January and February, most have already been cancelled anyway.

notamermaid

Sorry for the delay - went to sleep early. On-call this week and need to sleep when I can.

We spend a fun weekend in New Orleans for Chris's birthday a few years back. Foggy mornings by the river with beignets and coffee.

First guess the river. Then name the place and the town that you can see in the photo. The first one to guess gets to post the next photo.

Time for work. This should be easy if you've been there. It's not directly on the river but is an excursion on some lines (I hope that I'm remembering that correctly). Not that we have ever done this river cruise!

2138525227_CCPic21.thumb.jpg.f8ecca2676ba73394c97838f66921797.jpg