Alaska - Vancouver-Seward-Vancouver B2B

2chiefs

Can anyone that has done a B2B northbound & southbound Alaska cruise comment on how they liked it? Did you mind seeing the same ports twice and did you do different shore excursions on the repeat ports?

We're looking at a B2B on Radiance. We did a 7-day cruise on Radiance from Seatle once and loved it. But it was only the inside passage.

Thanks

T

Edited by 2chiefs

I have looked at doing this several times but other commitments stepped in the way.

When you talk to the crew about working in Alaska a recurring response is that every cruise is different.  Different wildlife, different weather, different glacier calving.  After my first Alaska cruise I had a slew of other excursions I wanted to do but couldn't so the next year I did those excursions that didn't make the cut the first time.  On a B2B I would have no issues finding something to do in Alaska.

I thought about doing it this year but I want to see how CV protocols will impact cruises before signing up for two weeks of wearing masks all the time.  

It's a great way to simplify airfare since you can book roundtrip.    

Edited by twangster
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 2chiefs said:

Can anyone that has done a B2B northbound & southbound Alaska cruise comment on how they liked it? Did you mind seeing the same ports twice and did you do different shore excursions on the repeat ports?

We're looking at a B2B on Radiance. We did a 7-day cruise on Radiance from Seatle once and loved it. But it was only the inside passage.

Thanks

T

LOOOOOOOOOOOVED it.

There is no such thing as "too much Alaska".

There is so much to do in each port that I never run out of things to do and wonderful places to see.

• Like 1

My Wife & I celebrated our 25th anniversary on HAL in 2008 on a B2B Vancouver, Seward, Vancouver.  The cruise was tremendous, the trip up and the trip back had some different ports.  We travelled with our Son, my mother, and 2 of our best friends.  We did have a day in Glacier Bay both up and down.  It was spectacular both times.  We went on an excursion while at Seward that was great on turn around day.

The weather was great with the temps in the 80's the whole trip.  (lt. June thru mid-July).  If you can do the B2B, we give it 2 thumb up.  We also did a land/sea to Alaska last summer.  Go soon, the Glaciers are diminishing.  Hopefully , if cruising resumes, we are going back to Alaska in May' 21 rt out of Seattle.

This sounds great as Radiance to Alaska has been a favorite of ours.

Looking forward to the schedule opening for the 2022 or 2023 season.

Either of those May time frames would be wonderful.

Edited by Ashland

7 hours ago, twangster said:

When you talk to the crew about working in Alaska a recurring response is that every cruise is different.  Different wildlife, different weather, different glacier calving.  After my first Alaska cruise I had a slew of other excursions I wanted to do but couldn't so the next year I did those excursions that didn't make the cut the first time.  On a B2B I would have no issues finding something to do in Alaska

I worked on this run on the RD for a season, and it's my favorite Alaska itinerary.  The cruise goes all the way up to Seward, and that last sea day is beautiful.  I remember eating in Chops that last sea night and there were whales swimming with us the whole time. 

Plus, like twangster said, the weather can change radically from one week to the next.  To put it in perspective, I shot timelapse videos of Hubbard Glacier two weeks in a row, and they couldn't be more different.  These two cruises were one right after the other.

Edited by miraflores
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, miraflores said:

To put it in perspective, I shot timelapse videos of Hubbard Glacier two weeks in a row, and they couldn't be more different.  

Super fabulous videos!!!! Was this shot from the bridge?

Thank you for posting these Miraflores.

17 hours ago, 2chiefs said:

Thanks

T

Done several times already.  Love, love, love the Radiance.   Unfortunately our B2B on Radiance last August was cancelled. Very disappointing.  Always one of my most favorite itineraries, and one of my favorite ships.  With the varying weather...it's nice to revisit the same ports...one day may be good, and the next not so good.  We never tired of the ports and always found something different each time we visited.  

Favorite cabin #9256, visiting Hubbard Glacier.  Best cabin to view inland waterway and the glacier...IMHO.

We do it a bit backwards from most, going from Seward to Vancouver and back...most do the round trip Vancouver.  We love the train down to Seward from Anchorage.  🙂 

WP_000119.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, island lady said:

Done several times already.  Love, love, love the Radiance.   Unfortunately our B2B on Radiance last August was cancelled. Very disappointing.  Always one of my most favorite itineraries, and one of my favorite ships.  With the varying weather...it's nice to revisit the same ports...one day may be good, and the next not so good.  We never tired of the ports and always found something different each time we visited.  

Favorite cabin #9256, visiting Hubbard Glacier.  Best cabin to view inland waterway and the glacier...IMHO.

We do it a bit backwards from most, going from Seward to Vancouver and back...most do the round trip Vancouver.  We love the train down to Seward from Anchorage.  🙂 

WP_000119.jpg

Agree...We've also enjoyed the #9256 twice and the #1100 twice....In Alaska.

I'm one of the many in the 1100 club and have sailed in it also on Jewel in the Western Med.

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

We love the train down to Seward from Anchorage.

The train ride is amazing and quite possibly why I would purposely start in Seward if I ever get to do a B2B in Alaska.  

Canadian airports typically have some higher landing taxes so flying round trip to Anchorage isn't that daunting.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, twangster said:

The train ride is amazing and quite possibly why I would purposely start in Seward if I ever get to do a B2B in Alaska.  

Canadian airports typically have some higher landing taxes so flying round trip to Anchorage isn't that daunting.

We found flying into Vancouver to be a PIA the last couple of times we did it.  Enjoy flying into Anchorage much better.   We usually do a self land tour out of Anchorage, then back to Anchorage for a night in a hotel before the train down to Seward.   We do the "Gold Star class"...more $$....but oh so worth it!  The last 3 times we got lucky and had first row seats right over the engine.  Not sure how we scored those, but could be since I booked so far in advance each time. 

Since Radiance was cancelled this last August, we still flew up there anyway.  Did two weeks prior tour as planned, then replaced Radiance 2 weeks with a stay in a cabin in Homer.  Wonderful!  🤗

Just now, island lady said:

We found flying into Vancouver to be a PIA the last couple of times we did it.  Enjoy flying into Anchorage much better.   We usually do a self land tour out of Anchorage, then back to Anchorage for a night in a hotel before the train down to Seward.   We do the "Gold Star class"...more $$....but oh so worth it!  The last 3 times we got lucky and had first row seats right over the engine.  Not sure how we scored those, but could be since I booked so far in advance each time. 

Since Radiance was cancelled this last August, we still flew up there anyway.  Did two weeks prior tour as planned, then replaced Radiance 2 weeks with a stay in a cabin in Homer.  Wonderful!  🤗

After doing the train to Seward a couple times I plan to visit Alaska and just ride trains around.  Agree on Gold Star, totally worth it.  I'm a rail fan so there is that too.  

Just now, twangster said:

After doing the train to Seward a couple times I plan to visit Alaska and just ride trains around.  Agree on Gold Star, totally worth it.  I'm a rail fan so there is that too.  

Those spiral stairs down to dining car or use the bathroom can be a bit daunting when you enjoy those drink vouchers though.   Especially when going around a curve.  😄 

Yes, I could definitely do more train travel.  Love it also.  

You could have fabulous weather one cruise and awful the next. You could see whales one cruise and eagles the other. You could hike a glacier one cruise and go salmon fishing the other. Alaska is so full of adventures and unpredictability that you can easily enjoy 2 of the “same” cruise. 

• Like 1