Did the Amsterdam world cruise passengers ever get their luggage?

Hflors

23 hours ago, prescottbob said:

Received #2 tracking numbers today, 21 October, (out of #5 bags) with a delivery date of this coming Monday, 26 October to Northern Arizona. 

"Hope springs eternal". Perhaps I should buy a Powerball ticket at the local Safeway today.

Be well.

Bob

Received remaining #3 tracking numbers today for Tuesday, 27 October delivery.

Funny, looking at the Shipment Facts on the FedEx site shows all the bags are listed at 50# (the actual weights were 42#- 54# when I weighed them last March). And only one bag has dimensions (one of the rolling duffels) while all others are listed as Packages (#2 other duffels and two smaller bags. Whatever...

DW will be thrilled to see all her purchased 'odd ball' yarns purchased in NZ & Oz. One thing I recall from all the knitter's groups was "there's never enough yarn", no?

And so the saga of the 2020 WC comes to an end. Maybe 😎

Be well.

Bob

On 10/21/2020 at 1:37 PM, SharonN said:

We also received updates for 3 our of 4 pending bags that they are now in transit with delivery scheduled for next Tue. So that leaves one more in limbo but it's progress.  From the FB group it appears they did work today and get some out. Hopefully that continues and they'll get them all out in the next few days. 

From a letter posted on a do not mention website, it appears all the luggage has left the HAL warehouse for Fed Ex as of Oct 22nd. Unfortunately, there were some misdirected luggage’s. We have received one bag. 2nd bag has Oct 26th delivery date. The 3rd bag was delivered to Fed Ex and is on its way, but it is still pending. The 4th bag, we have no tracking number. We don’t need them as we won’t be cruising for awhile. So I will be happy if they all arrive.

Finally as of yesterday two of our bags are traveling home together. Due to arrive tomorrow. As of this morning a 3rd bag left Fla. with no delivery date yet and five minutes ago our last bag was released and scheduled to be delivered Monday. We now have all fall and winter to go through them.  Might even wait until Christmas morning to open them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mine came today. The bags were clean and the contents were all in good shape except for the wrinkles of being packed for 7 months. There was no musty  odor. Hard candy was not sticky. They were in the same shape as they would have been getting off the ship to come home with me.  After the laundry is all done I think my 2020 world cruise will be done. Hopefully I will be able to cruise on the Zaandam on the 2nd of Jan 2021 yes 2021

• Like 3

2 hours ago, oofroggie said:

Mine came today. The bags were clean and the contents were all in good shape except for the wrinkles of being packed for 7 months. There was no musty  odor. Hard candy was not sticky. They were in the same shape as they would have been getting off the ship to come home with me.  After the laundry is all done I think my 2020 world cruise will be done. Hopefully I will be able to cruise on the Zaandam on the 2nd of Jan 2021 yes 2021

I can't wait until I hear that a HAL ship is actually going to take passengers on a cruise.  Good luck on your January 2021 cruise!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, oofroggie said:

Unpack. Launder. Repack for the cruise. Good Luck.

On 10/21/2020 at 3:38 PM, whogo said:

Thursdays they have the TPS reports

I'll make sure they get another copy of that memo...

To the world cruisers, I have a question (having never cruised longer than 20 days at a time).  Some people have mentioned having as many as eight bags.  While I understand the need to have a variety of clothes to accommodate climates from equatorial to polar, as well as formal to casual, what do you pack that requires THAT much space?  Also, where do you put the empty bags while you're on board?  I know most cabins don't have tons of extra space to store luggage...

4 hours ago, iceman93 said:

Also, where do you put the empty bags while you're on board?  I know most cabins don't have tons of extra space to store luggage...

That question is easy to answer. The stewards take any luggage you don't want in the cabin, and store it until near the end of the cruise. They will bring it to you when you want to start packing; the ship starts collecting packed luggage earlier than on most cruises, too. 

5 hours ago, iceman93 said:

To the world cruisers, I have a question (having never cruised longer than 20 days at a time).  Some people have mentioned having as many as eight bags.  While I understand the need to have a variety of clothes to accommodate climates from equatorial to polar, as well as formal to casual, what do you pack that requires THAT much space?  Also, where do you put the empty bags while you're on board?  I know most cabins don't have tons of extra space to store luggage...

There are people on board with 15 or more bags.  We had eight this time which was the most we had ever had.  We took more clothing then normal this time due to Antarctica, that was probably one suitcase in itself.  Probably half of our luggage is clothes, shoes also take up a lot of space.  I had five pair, I won’t say how many my wife had but they collectively pretty much filled a duffel bag.  Then there is stuff, camera stuff, five months of toiletries, medicines, snacks, snorkeling gear, my Mac, two iPads, all kinds of chargers.  Heck some people bring a TV (I kid you not).  Our suitcases were four larger ones, three small ones and one duffel bag.  Usually we can get ours under the bed with maybe one in a closet.  The small suitcases fit in the larger ones and the duffel goes anywhere.  As RutthC said, you can give them to the steward as well.  They store them in Club HAL as there are usually not many kids on board.   If you participate in the theme nights that takes up a lot of suitcases as well.  You see so pretty elaborate outfits.

I, too, have as much "stuff" as I have clothes (maybe more).  All four of my bags fit underneath the beds but when I was on Prinsendam in 2019 I was in a solo cabin with a 3/4 bed that was very low.  My stewards took my empty bags away without even being asked and returned them the same way.  

BTW, my clothes and stuff returned to me on Saturday.  The "stuff" takes a lot longer to put away than the clothes.

Edited by Scrapnana
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, iceman93 said:

We normally have three large bags, along with carry ons. Don’t do theme nights with big outfits. End up leaving some clothes onboard for the crew, so we can pack souvenirs. Many buy boxes provided by Holland America for souvenirs and we have made odd shaped boxes out what ever the room stewards provided us for long souvenirs. Almost all world travelers have more coming home than going.

We usually loosely pack 4. Suitcases and ship them.  This way we have room. for some of the gifts we get.  Also quite a few items are consumed on  board creating more space for the return trip. We don't buy many souvenirs but we have plenty of room for the stuff we do buy.  We than each carry a small travel bag each for the trip home

18 hours ago, KirkNC said:

There are people on board with 15 or more bags.  We had eight this time which was the most we had ever had.  We took more clothing then normal this time due to Antarctica, that was probably one suitcase in itself.  Probably half of our luggage is clothes, shoes also take up a lot of space.  I had five pair, I won’t say how many my wife had but they collectively pretty much filled a duffel bag.  Then there is stuff, camera stuff, five months of toiletries, medicines, snacks, snorkeling gear, my Mac, two iPads, all kinds of chargers.  Heck some people bring a TV (I kid you not).  Our suitcases were four larger ones, three small ones and one duffel bag.  Usually we can get ours under the bed with maybe one in a closet.  The small suitcases fit in the larger ones and the duffel goes anywhere.  As RutthC said, you can give them to the steward as well.  They store them in Club HAL as there are usually not many kids on board.   If you participate in the theme nights that takes up a lot of suitcases as well.  You see so pretty elaborate outfits.

We had 5 large suitcases. Four of them easily fit under the bed. The 5th suitcase, I asked our stewards to store and they said no space! The 5th suitcase was a spinner and even though we should have been able to get under the bed, the wheels prevented it.

We will have a veranda next time, hopefully due to way the bed is situated, we should be able to get most of the suitcases under the bed. But people shouldn’t count on the stewards storing them. You were smart taking 4 big suitcases and smaller ones that would nest inside.

19 hours ago, RuthC said:

That question is easy to answer. The stewards take any luggage you don't want in the cabin, and store it until near the end of the cruise. They will bring it to you when you want to start packing; the ship starts collecting packed luggage earlier than on most cruises, too. 

Ruth, our stewards wouldn’t take one of our luggages and store it for either of our two World Cruises. I do know some people get their luggage stored. Maybe it is a privilege for those in suites and verandas or those that do Grand Voyage and Christmas cruises. Since we were in Florida about five days before our cruise, we took a 5th suitcase which was a spinner. We couldn’t get it under the bed of our ocean view stateroom. So we had to store the suitcase in our room.Ugh!

2 hours ago, Storylady said:

Ruth, our stewards wouldn’t take one of our luggages and store it for either of our two World Cruises. I do know some people get their luggage stored. Maybe it is a privilege for those in suites and verandas or those that do Grand Voyage and Christmas cruises. Since we were in Florida about five days before our cruise, we took a 5th suitcase which was a spinner. We couldn’t get it under the bed of our ocean view stateroom. So we had to store the suitcase in our room.Ugh!

Regarding of where luggage is stored aboard the Amsterdam during the World Cruise, the Club HAL rooms were filled from floor to ceiling on my cruises with guests' luggage.  As a WC guest on Dolphin Deck, there was no issue for my Stateroom Steward to get my excess luggage stored.

9 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Regarding of where luggage is stored aboard the Amsterdam during the World Cruise, the Club HAL rooms were filled from floor to ceiling on my cruises with guests' luggage.  As a WC guest on Dolphin Deck, there was no issue for my Stateroom Steward to get my excess luggage stored.

You were lucky with your stewards. Ours didn’t make the efforts which I thought was unusual as they have alway accommodated us on the Prinsendam. 

on our 2018 WC, the stewards placed our 5 bags under the beds. This time, They could not due it due to the wheels on our new suitcase.

Edited by Storylady

1 minute ago, Storylady said:

This time, They could not due it due to the wheels on our new suitcase.

On a "longish" cruise in recent years, I had a bag that would not fit under the bed and there was no other storage available.  Having to "store" that darn bag within my stateroom took up space that I didn't like having to loose.  But, what's one to do?

I once had a hard-sided suitcase that was huge. Not only was it longer and wider than is made today, it was double depth! No way it would fit under any bed on any ship---even if you tried to lift the bed. Besides, it wouldn't bend, which would have been necessary to slide it under between the wall and the side of the mattress, even if the bed were high enough. 
The stewards always found a way to store it for me. 

Sharon, I wonder if it was just your stewards not wanting to go to the trouble, and not that there was no place to store your luggage. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Sharon, I wonder if it was just your stewards not wanting to go to the trouble, and not that there was no place to store your luggage. 

9 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

It must be up to the individual steward because they have used Club HAL for storage on all three of our world cruises.

There are those "Signature of Excellence" Stewards and there are those who are not.  

HAL's advertising that all of their world cruise staff are the "best of their fleet".  Well, most are.  Some are not.  I have posted on CC in the past about my experience with my Stateroom Steward in 2008 who eventually "jumped ship" in Singapore.  

You would think that any steward looking forward to his or her tip for the many days on a world cruise would not do anything to alienate a passenger. Not storing your luggage when you know others are getting that service would not seem to be something a steward would want to do.

• Like 1