Taxi from Manhattan to Red Hook, Brooklyn

EllieinNJ

12 minutes ago, EllieinNJ said:

Will taxis or Ubers take you from Manhattan to the cruise port in Red Hook, Brooklyn and anyone know approx. charge?

Yes they will take you. The cost is going to depend on exactly where in Manhattan you're coming from as time, distance and tolls are factors. Taxis are metered, and Uber will be priced through their app. A very rough estimate from midtown Manhattan would be about $40.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nitemare said:

that estimate is a friendly one, per my experience.  Traffic could double that fare.

You can do a "test" Uber ride thru the app to see the price.

Well I'm a friendly guy...:classic_laugh:

The problem with using the Uber app to get an estimate is that estimate is dependent on the traffic and other  conditions at the moment you are using the app for the estimate. Because the fare is so dependent on traffic at the time you're taking the ride the estimate you get right now could, as you noted, be double (or half for that matter) what the actual fare will be at the time you're actually traveling.

BTW...I didn't pull the "very rough" $40 estimate out of thin air...it was roughly what Uber estimated the fare would be at the moment I requested the fare.

1 minute ago, njhorseman said:

Well I'm a friendly guy...:classic_laugh:

The problem with using the Uber app to get an estimate is that estimate is dependent on the traffic and other  conditions at the moment you are using the app for the estimate. Because the fare is so dependent on traffic at the time you're taking the ride the estimate you get right now could, as you noted, be double (or half for that matter) what the actual fare will be at the time you're actually traveling.

BTW...I didn't pull the "very rough" $40 estimate out of thin air...it was roughly what Uber estimated the fare would be at the moment I requested the fare.

Oh yeah, that is likely the fare NOW, and you are right, an Uber estimate could be quite off, too.  But these are COVID times and estimates and when cruiseships are back, the traffic will be worse and the fares will be higher

On 10/22/2020 at 8:11 AM, EllieinNJ said:

Will taxis or Ubers take you from Manhattan to the cruise port in Red Hook, Brooklyn and anyone know approx. charge?

Agree depends on where in Manhattan we have done it a few times , I do prefer Uber , fare was reasonable, if you are in lower Manhattan it’s going to be pretty cheap. I think we paid about 40 from midtown but that was a number of years ago. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Our estimated 50 dollar Uber ride from Times Square to Brooklyn for our Carnival Sunrise cruise after they moved our departure there turned into a 95 dollar ride bc of traffic, particularly getting into the port area for drop off.     Frankly, that sucked.  I was annoyed enough about having to go out of Brooklyn due to the change. 

good thing you aren’t returning there. We had been warned here to make sure we caught a metered cab the morning we debarked. Lot of the cabbies were trying to charge flat fees of 50 and up to go back into Manhattan which technically isn’t right. We insisted on a meter and a cabbie finally agreed to take us.   Glad we knew to insist on meter as it was a 35 dollar cab ride when we got to Penn Station. That cabbie got a nice tip for being honest. 

I won’t choose to go out of Brooklyn if I can avoid it going forward.