Check in times now 10 days out

bafinegan

16 hours ago, cruizergal70 said:

People will be 100% okay with whatever time they get. Sure, folks will grumble. They'll still get on the ship.

Totally disagree with this.   It's not the same as the boss coming in Friday afternoon and dumping a pile of work on your desk due Monday.   This is my vacation.   I enjoy pretty much all aspects of the process, including the check in.   I look forward to it, makes it more real that my cruise is getting close.   If they have a logical, sound reason (which I'm assuming they do), then fine it is what it is.   But explain to me, your customer, why the change was necessitated!!  Why did you have to change the rules we both had agreed to???

15 hours ago, MeganGC1983 said:

I’m pretty sure it will have to do with the testing schedule. You will have to upload a negative test result before check-in is complete or be scheduled for testing at the port. 

That doesn't make any sense actually.  If they open it up a week ahead of time, there no reason you can't contract it after the negative test.  It makes much more sense to me as a previous poster mentioned that they don't want people printing out boarding passes and luggage tags with rooms that may need to be changed.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, buckeyefrank said:

That doesn't make any sense actually.  If they open it up a week ahead of time, there no reason you can't contract it after the negative test.  It makes much more sense to me as a previous poster mentioned that they don't want people printing out boarding passes and luggage tags with rooms that may need to be changed.

Why would they change your cabin number? 
At 10 days out, they can give you the list of acceptable places to test, and you have time to make an appointment. Or they can give you an arrival time to be tested at the port. Several cruise lines in Europe are requiring a test 2-3 pre-sailing and then testing at the port. Makes perfect sense. 

Edited by MeganGC1983

As to printing luggage tags, I can do that now for my 2022 cruise. 

I don't have a clue why the change, but it must be necessary. I do wonder though if it has anything to do with the recent data breach. If they don't collect sensitive personal data until closer to sailing, there will be less for pirates to steal. 

This is just a guess here, but this may have something to do with the need to require answers to specific COVID related travel questions. You can't ask someone if they've been out of the country or in contact with a COVID positive person within 14 days of the cruise 80 days out. Working in aviation, we have to ask these questions to our passengers the day prior to the flight. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ULCajunCruiser said:

Totally disagree with this.   It's not the same as the boss coming in Friday afternoon and dumping a pile of work on your desk due Monday.   This is my vacation.   I enjoy pretty much all aspects of the process, including the check in.   I look forward to it, makes it more real that my cruise is getting close.   If they have a logical, sound reason (which I'm assuming they do), then fine it is what it is.   But explain to me, your customer, why the change was necessitated!!  Why did you have to change the rules we both had agreed to???

Maybe to not put people through the hassle of checking into a cruise they have know all along would be canceled.

1 hour ago, MistyRo76 said:

This is just a guess here, but this may have something to do with the need to require answers to specific COVID related travel questions. You can't ask someone if they've been out of the country or in contact with a COVID positive person within 14 days of the cruise 80 days out. Working in aviation, we have to ask these questions to our passengers the day prior to the flight. 

Ah, an answer that makes some sense!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ULCajunCruiser said:

Ah, an answer that makes some sense!!

haha....thanks! It was just a shot in the dark. I'm sure someone will get some actual clarity about the reasoning behind it at some point! But being in the travel industry, it makes sense to me! 

20 hours ago, Tjcalley said:

Well the reason to rush to do the online check in is to pick a check in time and usually everyone wants the early check in time ...

Has it been confirmed that you cannot select your boarding window now until check-in time. It doesn't seem to me that checking in online and selecting your boarding time have to occur at the same time. Maybe there will still be a specific trigger earlier than 10 days out to still choose your boarding time?? 

On 10/27/2020 at 4:58 PM, reeinaz said:

2020 and 2021 cruises. My 2022 and 2023 cruises are 60 days out, the same date that final payment is due.

All of mine till April 2023 are now all either 2 days or one week before sailing.  The payment date though is still at least 90 days before for all of them.

17 hours ago, ULCajunCruiser said:

Why did you have to change the rules we both had agreed to???

The rules kind of went out the door when this crap hit.  None of us originally signed up for any of these new rules that you have to abide by to cruise now.  For some, none of the new rules will keep them from sailing.  For others, ourselves included, with all of the restrictions now in affect, it's not worth cruising any more.

• Like 1

I don't mind the new 2 week check-in.  My 3/21/21 cruise checkin is now 3/11/21. I DO mind that final payment is still due 90 days before (12/21/20).  I know Carnival wants their money way in advance - hence the change of final payment from 60 days before to 90 - but if they moved checkin maybe they should move final payment also, or at least have final payment without penalty of canceling a bit closer to the cruise date- move final payment back to 60 days.  I am sure they still would have no problem filling their ships to whatever capacity is enforced at that time.

9 hours ago, sailingships said:

All of mine till April 2023 are now all either 2 days or one week before sailing.  The payment date though is still at least 90 days before for all of them.

That's because they are trying to rake in as much money as they can before they cancel.

11 hours ago, sailingships said:

All of mine are now at 10 days out. They must've still been updating them. My 4 day cruise has a 60 day final payment date. I guess that's normal for the shorter cruise? The rest are 90 days.

2 hours ago, seaman11 said:

im not sure im happy with the extra expense of everyone in the family going on the cruise be tested 5 days out.   why not ust test everyone with a quick test before boarding, and if positive test again in case false positive. 

those quick rapid tests can be unreliable and give false results

2 hours ago, shof515 said:

those quick rapid tests can be unreliable and give false results

So can the reg lab ones, heck my friend got a positive, then to double check he took another one got a neg.  then took another one got a positive then another negative.  lol , 4 tests,  2 positive 2 neg, so he just decided to quarantine 10 more days. 

9 hours ago, seaman11 said:

So can the reg lab ones, heck my friend got a positive, then to double check he took another one got a neg.  then took another one got a positive then another negative.  lol , 4 tests,  2 positive 2 neg, so he just decided to quarantine 10 more days. 

Just shows the uncertainty of tests.  Those that want to chance it (sailing) have fun, although it " fun" might be a stretch.

Lets just say sailing with be a new and unique experience that some won't mind while others will say it was a terrible experience.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beerman2 said:

Just shows the uncertainty of tests.  Those that want to chance it (sailing) have fun, although it " fun" might be a stretch.

Lets just say sailing with be a new and unique experience that some won't mind while others will say it was a terrible experience.

Definitely will be a risk , even if ppl test 4-5 days out , how do they know someone did not catch on the plane ride to the port?  its a false sense of security,  i think they should check temps do quick tests at the port  and have us sign a waiver knowing the risks.  ppl like my father with underlining conditions (diabetic, heart) i wouldnt advise going anywhere really its a mess.  

17 hours ago, seaman11 said:

im not sure im happy with the extra expense of everyone in the family going on the cruise be tested 5 days out.   why not ust test everyone with a quick test before boarding, and if positive test again in case false positive. 

If you test positive before leaving, your quarantine can start that much earlier and you will have exposed less people by not traveling to the port.

Final payment on my 1/31/21 cruise is 2 days from now. When I was on the Carnival website 2 days ago my check-in date was Dec 17th. Now it shows check-in is 10 days prior to sailing, on Jan 21.(Cruise is out of Baltimore and I really don't expect it to sail anyway)

I have 2 8-day cruises back-to-day in March/April.  Both cruises have check-ins listed as 10 days beforehand which leads me to ask how would one check in for the second cruise if the first cruise was 11 nights or longer?  I'd be onboard the ship for the second cruise check-in.  I know there are the internet kiosks but I don't recall if there are printers for the printing of luggage tags and documents.  I guess guest services could assist.

I've never done a back-to-back so I'm not familiar with the second leg check-in/boarding process.  This is a true back-to-back; i.e. same ship and same stateroom.