CDC only allowing 7 day cruises till Nov 2021

Jadn13

On 11/1/2020 at 7:08 PM, trbarton said:

John...Yes a cruise can go from San Francisco for 7 days. It’s done many times. Here’s my 2 cruises, 7 days from San Francisco. Both in April 2021. Cruises many times go from Ensenada & Victoria in one day to San Francisco. 

Of course anything could change btw now & then. 

ITINERARY
Day 1: San Francisco
Depart: 4:00pm
Day 2: At Sea
Day 3: Santa Barbara
Arrive: 7:00am
Depart: 6:00pm
Day 4: Los Angeles
Depart: 10:00pm
Day 5: San Diego
Arrive: 8:00am
Depart: 10:00pm
Day 6: Ensenada
Arrive: 8:00am
Depart: 5:00pm
Day 7: At Sea
Day 8: San Francisco
ITINERARY
Day 1: San Francisco
Day 2: At Sea
Day 3: Astoria
Arrive: 9:00am
Day 4: Seattle
Depart: 9:00pm
Day 5: Vancouver
Depart: 11:00pm
Day 6: Victoria
Depart: 2:00pm
Day 7: At Sea
Day 8: San Francisco

Tom😀

Maybe it is a US vUK  thing but are those not classed as 8 day cruises    or 7 night cruises?

Guess they could still go but drop a port?  Day 6? would seem the easiest to drop.

Arr  SF a day earlier.

On 11/8/2020 at 3:32 AM, Aulanis said:

Maybe it is a US vUK  thing but are those not classed as 8 day cruises    or 7 night cruises?

Guess they could still go but drop a port?  Day 6? would seem the easiest to drop.

Arr  SF a day earlier.

Cruises are always classified by the number of nights onboard as long as I've been taking them.  

Due to the PVSA, night six could not be dropped.  But, these would still fall under a cruise of 7 days per the CDC guidelines, so they wouldn't need to drop a port.  

Now, the key to that is, are any of these ports going to be open come 2021. Ensenada might be, Canada is pretty iffy but, SF and LA, very doubtful these will open back up until at least summer of 2021.  Just my opinion.  

2 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Now, the key to that is, are any of these ports going to be open come 2021. Ensenada might be, Canada is pretty iffy but, SF and LA, very doubtful these will open back up until at least summer of 2021.  Just my opinion.  

I think the availability of an effective vaccine should affect their timetables for reopening. 

Key West passed an amendment to the city charter limiting the number of people disembarking from cruise ships to 1,500 a day, limiting the capacity of ships that can call at Key West to 1,300 people (including passengers and crew).  That's a permanent law, not one that will get lifted after cruising becomes safe.

Edited by Daniel A

2 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Cruises are always classified by the number of nights onboard as long as I've been taking them.  

Due to the PVSA, night six could not be dropped.  But, these would still fall under a cruise of 7 days per the CDC guidelines, so they wouldn't need to drop a port.  

yeah, Port Everglades seems iffy also ... advantage goes to ships that can sail out of Port Canaveral for the restart trials

4 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

That's interesting.  Do you know why Port Canaveral would be favored?  

just my opinion, of course - but a central Florida, east coast location, and in a non heavily populated area like Fort Lauderdale and Miami

• Like 1

4 hours ago, voljeep said:

just my opinion, of course - but a central Florida, east coast location, and in a non heavily populated area like Fort Lauderdale and Miami

All good guesses! Add to that, proximity to the airport in Orlando and access to the hotels & other facilities around the theme parks. I can completely understand why the lines might consider starting in Port Canaveral. 

On 10/31/2020 at 6:37 AM, riffatsea said:

I don't understand this discussion at all?

How do you go on any cruise with virus cases on the rise all over the map?

Have you all decided you don't  care about getting sick and /or dying??

No, I've decided that I take precautions and am going to live my life.  The death rates are sharply down.  I do care about sick and/or dying; it's why we're eating well to boost our immune systems, using thieves oil and cloves (know anti-virals), and staying away from people who are coughing.   Everyone needs to make their own decisions and live with the consequences of those decisions.

What sort of life is it living in fear, hunkering down, unable to see friends and family, being afraid to talk to other people?  Not much of one at all.  It was "protect yourself," then "flatten the curve," then "we're all in this together," then "you could be spreading it unknowingly."  Next it will be "submit and take this vaccine or we'll punish you and make you submit."

If you're afraid, please stay home.  It would be a waste of your money to cruise and be in fear the whole time.

• Like 8

We see friends and family. We just do it outdoors wearing masks. Noone is saying that you have to be isolated inside your home. All science is saying is that if everyone followed the rules instead of selfishly doing as they please then EVERYONE would be safe and this pandemic would be under control so all of us could get back to normal!

I thought only teenagers in rebellion against their parents say things like,"Its my life and I'll do what I want".

• Like 2

6 hours ago, WAMarathoner said:

No, I've decided that I take precautions and am going to live my life.  The death rates are sharply down.  I do care about sick and/or dying; it's why we're eating well to boost our immune systems, using thieves oil and cloves (know anti-virals), and staying away from people who are coughing.   Everyone needs to make their own decisions and live with the consequences of those decisions.

What sort of life is it living in fear, hunkering down, unable to see friends and family, being afraid to talk to other people?  Not much of one at all.  It was "protect yourself," then "flatten the curve," then "we're all in this together," then "you could be spreading it unknowingly."  Next it will be "submit and take this vaccine or we'll punish you and make you submit."

If you're afraid, please stay home.  It would be a waste of your money to cruise and be in fear the whole time.

Well said!!  

• Like 3

On 11/10/2020 at 5:56 AM, riffatsea said:

Noone is saying that you have to be isolated inside your home.

Surprising to find out that you live in CA -- you know, the place where the governor has mandated how many people you can have over for Thanksgiving, that it has to be held outside (damn that rain!), you have to have a table big enough to sit 6' away and still wear masks, use disposable dishes, and don't forget to completely sanitize your bathroom after each guest uses it!  Yeah, betting his holiday is going to be quite different that that.  Rules for thee, and different rules for me.

See your San Diego county restrictions here: https://covid19.ca.gov/safer-economy/

Places of worship outside, but cannabis dispensaries are okay to enter.

So it's not no one.  And the science is heavily in favor of social distancing -- not being in close contact with someone for more than 15 minutes.  Most of it is against the masks that the majority of people are wearing. 

I know full well the restrictions here in California! I applaud them and hope folks follow the rules. 

The idea of few people gathering is certainly NOT " isolation" which would mean NO one visiting at all!

Agree that science is in favor of distancing which is the main reason for not having large groups gather especially indoors!

Not sure where you are reading science against masks?  Everything we can do to protect each other should be a no Brainerd and not anything to argue over

• Like 4

On 11/8/2020 at 3:58 AM, amajaa said:

In my comment I was trying to post without being political, especially as it isn’t my own country we are talking about. I expect everyone on here knows what the rest of the world are thinking anyway. 

Not sure why though.

On 11/9/2020 at 6:09 PM, docruth said:

All good guesses! Add to that, proximity to the airport in Orlando and access to the hotels & other facilities around the theme parks. I can completely understand why the lines might consider starting in Port Canaveral. 

I get most of those advantages, but the hotels in Orlando are not convenient to the port like the ones in Ft. Lauderdale.   I guess if you want to go to the theme parts and stay in Orlando for a bit before and/or  after a cruise it would be useful.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/1/2020 at 3:25 AM, HaveWeMetYet said:

Here is what is really painful for the cruise ship lines. In order to get the Conditional Sailing Certificate they have to cancel all sailings that are longer than 7 days that leave and return to US ports or arrive from a foreign destination to a US port until Nov 1 2021. That is a lot of refunds to process all at once. I assume most people are ready to give up and just get a refund.

I have to say that I have a B2B cruise booked for October 2021 and I would love RCL to cancel both now so I can get a refund.

Can someone, besides me, verify that there are still a bunch of cruises for ‘21 & ‘22 longer than 7 days showing on the X website ‘Find A Cruise’ tab?

Makes me wonder if they’ll repeat the rolling cancellations throughout the year?

A repeat of that previous policy fiasco would be a PR nightmare for Royal.

Edited by docruth

16 hours ago, docruth said:

Can someone, besides me, verify that there are still a bunch of cruises for ‘21 & ‘22 longer than 7 days showing on the X website ‘Find A Cruise’ tab?

Makes me wonder if they’ll repeat the rolling cancellations throughout the year?

A repeat of that previous policy fiasco would be a PR nightmare for Royal.

Disregard my last, it seems I’ve been Celebrity IT’d as those cruises are back. Wonder for how long?

On 11/9/2020 at 10:10 AM, Daniel A said:

I think the availability of an effective vaccine should affect their timetables for reopening. 

Key West passed an amendment to the city charter limiting the number of people disembarking from cruise ships to 1,500 a day, limiting the capacity of ships that can call at Key West to 1,300 people (including passengers and crew).  That's a permanent law, not one that will get lifted after cruising becomes safe.

If they need the port taxes & the business  ,they will lift it . It comes down to being economically correct 

This 7 night limitation can be lifted .It all depends on the successful roll out of the vaccinations with the first 2 vaccines    .The CDC does not want to keep the cruise lines pinned down to 7 nigh cruises if it can be avoided . so let us all pray that we will soon see day light 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

If they need the port taxes & the business  ,they will lift it . It comes down to being economically correct 

Well, I'm not going there again anytime soon...  I can spend my money where I'm welcomed.  BTW I've never been to Key West on a cruise, always stayed on land in KW.