Wonderful Tribute

Mickb

Today is Remembrance Sunday here in locked down England.

Here in Torbay we have the Neiuw Statendam, Westerdam, Volendam, Zaandam and Emerald Princess at anchor waiting for things to get better.

At the 11th hour - all 5 vessels sounded their horns to signal the start of 2 minutes silence. At 11.02 they sounded their horns again to signal the end of the 2 minutes.

The sound echoing around the silent bay was both haunting and strangely appropriate given the current circumstances.

It was a wonderful tribute to those who gave so much for us.

Bravo the Captains of these ships!

• Like 36
  • Thanks 2

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old: 
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

For the Fallen.   Laurence Binyon;  The London Times (1914)

Scott. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, kb4683 said:

Thank you for sharing.

unnamed.jpg.4761c13350ef62bc20e9f0bc7e0aa587.jpg

The Red Poppy!  Thanks for posting this!  Don't recall the organization that sold them at this time of year; bought them every year.  I don't recall seeing them in recent years.  A symbol such as that Red Poppy is one of the things that our societies on both sides of the Pond is missing.  It helps us to "remember" and, maybe for those who wonder "what is the Poppy all about" encourages them to Google for the sake of learning and gaining an appreciation for history.  

10 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

The Red Poppy!  Thanks for posting this!  Don't recall the organization that sold them at this time of year; bought them every year.  I don't recall seeing them in recent years.  A symbol such as that Red Poppy is one of the things that our societies on both sides of the Pond is missing.  It helps us to "remember" and, maybe for those who wonder "what is the Poppy all about" encourages them to Google for the sake of learning and gaining an appreciation for history.  

The American Legion and Auxiliary used to give poppies away in exchange for donations, as once did the VFW.  Sadly, they are hard to find here in the states any longer but a few areas still do.  I know our Canadian and British friends still observe Remembrance Day with poppies playing a larger roll than is found here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 0bnxshs said:

The American Legion and Auxiliary used to give poppies away in exchange for donations, as once did the VFW.  Sadly, they are hard to find here in the states any longer but a few areas still do.  I know our Canadian and British friends still observe Remembrance Day with poppies playing a larger roll than is found here.

Here in NYC I bought the poppies from the Veteran who represented the VFW(VETERANS OF FOREIGN WARS).  He/ they would set up a table outside the local grocery each year at this time.  I have three that I attached to my carry on bag.  For the month if NOVEMBER I wear them ...this lady Sunday while walking in Central Park several people asked me about their meaning & several more thanked me for wearing them.

My father served in the Navy during WW2 & was at D Day.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 0bnxshs said:

I know our Canadian and British friends still observe Remembrance Day with poppies playing a larger roll than is found here.

We sure do 🙂 

Poppies are on everyone here at this time of year.

Lest We Forget. 

9F8121EB-1C74-435C-8292-FF45D37C3E45.gif.c3f61b94a8dc411906ce4a6d949144cc.gif

• Like 4

12 hours ago, 0bnxshs said:

the VFW.

Thanks.  It was the VFW who had gentlemen outside my Kroger's who were helping us to remember.

9 hours ago, Rotterdam said:

My father served in the Navy during WW2

My Father served in the Merchant Marine on the convoys to Murmansk.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Today is Remembrance Day and for our friends south of the border, Veterans Day. Just a reminder so we don't forget; by Lt. Col John McCrae

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
  That mark our place; and in the sky
  The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
  Loved and were loved, and now we lie
      In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
  The torch; be yours to hold it high.