1st Caribbean Cruise since March just sailed

13 minutes ago, TravelerThom said:

While a mask does provide some protection to the wearer, its primary purpose is to minimize the wearer’s exhaled virus being inflicted on others. So how do you propose being responsible for yourself in the all too frequent scenario described by Iamcruzin? Businesses frown on me walking out without paying🙄, so what other suggestions do you have?

I think I pretty much explained. Try reading my post again. In entirety. 

Thanks

18 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I think I pretty much explained. Try reading my post again. In entirety. 

I did read your post. In entirety. Both before I wrote my previous post, and again before I wrote this post. I’m glad you seem to in an area where the majority are working to minimize the spread. Saying “we avoid those who do not wear them” is little help if you are in an area overrun with non-social distancing non-mask wearers, unless your advice is stay home and let the Covidiots take over. Is that your advice?

51 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

That’s different and I wouldn’t either. Every business here (Florida) is free to require masks. Many restaurants require them until you are seated. Most everyone I see is wearing a mask while shopping here. There are exceptions and we avoid those that do not wear them.  If they are not going to wear them in NYC, certainly they wouldn’t wear them in Florida. 

You can’t lockdown everything for a few. Be responsible for yourself. 

M8

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

That’s different and I wouldn’t either. Every business here (Florida) is free to require masks. Many restaurants require them until you are seated. Most everyone I see is wearing a mask while shopping here. There are exceptions and we avoid those that do not wear them.  If they are not going to wear them in NYC, certainly they wouldn’t wear them in Florida. 

You can’t lockdown everything for a few. Be responsible for yourself. 

M8

Nothing needs to be locked down but masks and social distance needs to be enforced which it is in NY.

I was referring to Hernando52 who is from Florida, family member that refuses to wear a mask. If he can get away with it because it isn't enforced that's his right. I don't agree with him not wearing a mask but if it's not a requirement it's not a requirement.

19 minutes ago, TravelerThom said:

I did read your post. In entirety. Both before I wrote my previous post, and again before I wrote this post. I’m glad you seem to in an area where the majority are working to minimize the spread. Saying “we avoid those who do not wear them” is little help if you are in an area overrun with non-social distancing non-mask wearers, unless your advice is stay home and let the Covidiots take over. Is that your advice?

My advice is to avoid those areas and people. Be responsible for yourself. 

23 minutes ago, TravelerThom said:

If you read the article you posted, it’s not just masks, but in conjunction with other things. We wear our masks. We avoid those and others who don’t.  We are responsible for us. 

I read recently a medical article that said the N95 masks with the relief valve (exhaling) were no longer recommended as they keep out CV but don’t keep CV in. 

A National mask mandate is only enforceable in/on Federal Facilities & Property. I’m not sure even that it’s enforceable if it went to the courts. Governor’s control the States. 

M8

28 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Nothing needs to be locked down but masks and social distance needs to be enforced which it is in NY.

I was referring to Hernando52 who is from Florida, family member that refuses to wear a mask. If he can get away with it because it isn't enforced that's his right. I don't agree with him not wearing a mask but if it's not a requirement it's not a requirement.

How do they enforce mandatory masks in NY and NYC?

3 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I don’t know if stay at home orders are coming, but when I read this it had me thinking the author isn’t necessarily far of the target. 

E7943D42-007A-4A03-BE98-EF467530F296.thumb.jpeg.ba9db3520c747dca7beb6e1712c14646.jpeg

The only things that will change for me is we have been eating out a couple of times a week - outdoors only, we have had a few friends over - outdoors only, and I have been able to spend time with my 6 year old grandson doing outdoor activities with him.  All of that will end now that the weather has turned cold and it has very little to do with stay at home orders. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, TravelerThom said:

Spot on!  This is from the article you cite:

"Mandates for the wearing of masks in public have been associated with a decline in the daily growth rate of COVID-19 cases in the US. The implementation of such mandates averted more than 200 000 cases of COVID-19 by May 22, 2020, according to modeling estimates."

6 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Frankly, I don't believe all of the statements that aircraft travel is safe.  Sure the bars at the airport are bad but at least you have social distancing in the bars.  That same person that might have infected you in the bar is now sitting next to elbow and their mask may be off for quite a while when the drink or eat on the aircraft.  No thanks, I'll stay away from planes if I can't social distance.

I have never flown by myself so I don't have to worry about who I am sitting next to.    Ever since my DH had his organ transplant 3 years ago and is immune compromised because of the anti-rejection meds he has to take for the rest of his life, we fly business or first class and always wipe down everything with special wipes his infectious disease doc prescribed to us just for that reason.   

His Transplant team which includes the Director of Infectious Disease for a well known hospital sat with us for probably 2 hours and gave us detailed instructions on how to handle every day life as someone who basically has no immune system.   

For years now, I always wipe down everything including shopping carts and always use purell, especially when traveling.    I don't realize I'm doing it.    So other than wearing masks now we have been taking all the other safety precautions for several years now.     If either of us hears anyone cough or sneeze we stay as far away as possible.    

Last I heard (may have changed as that was this summer) they were Not serving food or alcohol or domestic flights (not sure about international) as they didn't want people removing their masks.

16 minutes ago, mek said:

The only things that will change for me is we have been eating out a couple of times a week - outdoors only, we have had a few friends over - outdoors only, and I have been able to spend time with my 6 year old grandson doing outdoor activities with him.  All of that will end now that the weather has turned cold and it has very little to do with stay at home orders. 

That is unfortunate that you can’t do that anymore due to the weather change. To me it is just normal stuff with common sense and practices during a pandemic. 

People up here in May were losing their minds when golf were allowed to open. They had the least amount of problems. The university kids in the near by city caused the majority of cases when they returned in September with  house parties etc. 

Common sense and carefulness, some practice it and sometimes others don’t. 

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

How do they enforce mandatory masks in NY and NYC?

They pose fines on the establishments or close them down when if they don't comply with the capacity limit, social distancing and masks.  The businesses enforce the rules.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

How are YOU responsible for OTHERS?

When you wear a mask you are greatly reducing the chance that you will be passing virus to other people. That is being responsible for others. 

re·spon·si·bil·i·ty
/rəˌspänsəˈbilədē/
noun
  1. the state or fact of having a duty to deal with something or of having control over someone.
    "a true leader takes responsibility for their team and helps them achieve goals"

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TravelerThom said:

When you wear a mask you are greatly reducing the chance that you will be passing virus to other people. That is being responsible for others. 

re·spon·si·bil·i·ty
/rəˌspänsəˈbilədē/
noun
  1. the state or fact of having a duty to deal with something or of having control over someone.
    "a true leader takes responsibility for their team and helps them achieve goals"

I have no issue with wearing a mask. That didn’t answer how one is responsible for others. 

A parent understands that they are responsible for taking care of their children. 
Sheep dogs understand they are responsible for their flock. 
Yet there are people on this thread that can’t understand the concept of being responsible for anything but themselves. 
No wonder I like dogs better than I like a lot of people. 

Edited by TravelerThom
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

They pose fines on the establishments or close them down when if they don't comply with the capacity limit, social distancing and masks.  The businesses enforce the rules.

Yes, sadly here in Astoria, we had many establishments closed down for failing to enforce the rules.

5 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Yes, sadly here in Astoria, we had many establishments closed down for failing to enforce the rules.

Sad that the establishments were closed down (conducting their business irresponsibly) or sad that they didn’t enforce the rules (and suffered the consequences)? 

3 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

We are talking about COVID19 and wearing a mask. We wear ours but I don’t understand what you mean by be responsible for others?  We are responsible for us. 

Ah, changing your story, eh?   That's good.  

Your previous comment (actually posted numerous times) was "Be responsible for yourself." 

Now, hopefully, you have seen the light and say "We are responsible for us."

Well done!

2 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Sad that the establishments were closed down (conducting their business irresponsibly) or sad that they didn’t enforce the rules (and suffered the consequences)? 

Sad that they were being irresponsible to the public,   They deserved to be closed down.