Does every ship have to be qualified before it can sail?

jimblack1

9 minutes ago, jimblack1 said:

Will only ships that have been qualified have a chance to sail in Jan '21? If so the only ship cruising for a while , if you believe the rumors, will be Navigator.

Yes  I don't see a CSO specific list of ships yet on the CDC site, but the NSO list has many other ships besides Navigator. 

Edited by Biker19

40 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Just my opinion but I think that Jewel’s first sailings will be in Europe starting in April. 

We are scheduled to cruise on the Jewel out of Galveston on the last cruise scheduled from there in February.  Unfortunately, looks like this cruise gets a doubly whammy....no Key West stop and questionable qualification to sail required by the CDC.  Looks like back to cruise shopping. ☹️

8 minutes ago, denamo said:

We are scheduled to cruise on the Jewel out of Galveston on the last cruise scheduled from there in February.  Unfortunately, looks like this cruise gets a doubly whammy....no Key West stop and questionable qualification to sail required by the CDC.  Looks like back to cruise shopping. ☹️

As Jewel has been hanging in europe I suspect she will simply stay there for restart of spring cruises in europe, no point in getting her certified for 1 or 2 months of caribbean sailings.

Shes been hanging in Great Britain with Anthem.

16 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

As Jewel has been hanging in europe I suspect she will simply stay there for restart of spring cruises in europe, no point in getting her certified for 1 or 2 months of caribbean sailings.

Shes been hanging in Great Britain with Anthem.

Talked to our travel agent recently thinking maybe we should cancel due to Covid ramping up again.  TA said hang on.  Let Royal cancel.  We were already in a holding pattern.  Looks like not for too long. 

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

The problem with that is that in almost all cases Royal doesn’t cancel the sailing until after final Payment.

Fortunately, this cruise was booked with an FCC.  This was before Royal was allowing the total cruise to be booked with an FCC.  TA said just pay the taxes. Less than a deposit, but accomplished the same thing.  So that will be a refund.  Crazy times for everything.

Just now, denamo said:

Fortunately, this cruise was booked with an FCC.  This was before Royal was allowing the total cruise to be booked with an FCC.  TA said just pay the taxes. Less than a deposit, but accomplished the same thing.  So that will be a refund.  Crazy times for everything.

I have one under similar circumstances. Jus5 a waiting game now. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jimblack1 said:

Thanks for info on Jewel. Sounds as if I may as well give up on B to B Jan/Feb '21. I am getting tired of losing my insurance money when they cancel me. I wonder who holds the record on lost insurance money for cancellations in 2020?

The travel insurance company let us transfer our trip coverage to a new sailing in late 2021, because we hadn't filed any claims on the cancelled cruise. It is worth asking them if they will let you change the dates on an unused policy. 

On 11/19/2020 at 3:54 PM, jimblack1 said:

Thanks for info on Jewel. Sounds as if I may as well give up on B to B Jan/Feb '21. I am getting tired of losing my insurance money when they cancel me. I wonder who holds the record on lost insurance money for cancellations in 2020?

I hear you there.   I have lost RCL travel insurance cost too.    Tried everything i could to get refunded on cruises they cancelled but couldn't so I found the solution to stop losing that money was to cancel the travel protection before the 90-day final payment date.    I basically cancelled it on every cruise and any future cruises I booked I have not asked for travel insurance.   figure I can add when I know we are actually sailing and what the coverages will be at that time.    

11 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I hear you there.   I have lost RCL travel insurance cost too.    Tried everything i could to get refunded on cruises they cancelled but couldn't so I found the solution to stop losing that money was to cancel the travel protection before the 90-day final payment date.    I basically cancelled it on every cruise and any future cruises I booked I have not asked for travel insurance.   figure I can add when I know we are actually sailing and what the coverages will be at that time.    

Really???  I thought the travel insurance would get refunded if you didn't make any claims.  This is a news to me.

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Really???  I thought the travel insurance would get refunded if you didn't make any claims.  This is a news to me.

I have heard on this site that many people were refunded by either rcl or their insurance carrier for cruises cancelled by rcl but not me.   

We had 3 cruises cancelled by rcl for march april and may where we prepaid for rcl travel insurance and they did Not refund us.  I was told on several occasions by rcl reps that I needed to request refund with their insurance carrier.  I did so and nothing!!  I heard all different stories from both sides and by august/september I gave up fighting with them.  Lost a couple hundred.