The Daily for Friday Nov 20, 2020

richwmn

Thank you for the daily!  Our daughter is a teacher, we need more dedicated teachers.  She is working so hard trying to meet her students needs, social distancing, masks and online options. 

We have been having the Grandsons here when the school was shutdown.  Quite interesting to get the younger 4 online in some manner (computer, chrome book and zoom) at the same time!  Fortunately the 2 sixteen year old grandsons can help with "tech" support when we need it.   

Thanksgiving will be quiet this year as the girls and their boys will be staying home. (they live in the nearby area and we watch the boys almost daily so they and their hubby's can continue to work).  Our son, daughter in law and  girls are not going to travel due to Covid concerns.

We will still have the Turkey and "fixins" and I will deliver meals to our parents.  It will be different but we will make due.

Stay safe.

Denise

• Like 9

32 minutes ago, kazu said:

No worries, summer 🙂 

I guess the rules apply to any cruise prior to November 1st.  Our cruise has been cancelled that started October 30th even though we don’t call on a U.S. port until November 10th.  I am depressed 😢 

Can you go back to the Volendam, which doesn't leave until Nov. 10?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

@DeeniEncinitas Hi sis! Loved your hummer picture🥰

We found a 2nd hummer hanging around so will keep them fed as long as they are here.

Did another cruise get canceled for you and David? I feel sad for those who keep needing to rebook, swap ships/cabins. Darn covid is following us right into 2021🤪

No Joy we are good! Our 18 day is Dec5-23 2021. So far let’s hope! We have Oceania 2/19-3/8 too! So far feel confident!

Denise😊

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

I have been enjoying the daily for a few months now and thought it was time to contribute.  I am also a former teacher.  First taught at a Navy electronics school while on active duty.  Found I enjoyed teaching, so went on to get a Masters in Education while still in the Navy and taught in private industry and a local community college after retiring from the Navy.  I enjoy ginger beer as a soft drink by itself.  Our local COSTCO sells an Australian brand and I noticed that it will be on sale next week ($5. off a case), so I plan to stock up.

Ray

Welcome aboard.

Roy

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Can you go back to the Volendam, which doesn't leave until Nov. 10?

Yes, we never left the Volendam as the cruise was frozen so we couldn’t cancel.  So we are still on as far as HAL is concerned.

Here’s the thing with the Volendam - aside from the itinerary change it arrives in FLL on Thanksgiving day.  Not exactly the best day to arrive.

• Like 4

Well, I just found out our 18 day March 2021 Caribbean cruise on the Nieuw Statendam has been officially cancelled. We had used almost $700 each in FCCs from our cancelled March 2020 "Voyage of the Americas" so it will be amusing to see how they sort out the credits. Time to contact our PCC! In a way, I am relieved since I wasn't at all sure it would be safe enough (for us) to cruise by spring 2021. 

Today, we were supposed to be at sea between St. Thomas and HMC -

image.thumb.png.a24901b0bb4ea56803d5a4599a446590.png

image.thumb.png.2f9f06811a1b53233bfa96406d978611.png

• Like 13

1 hour ago, USN59-79 said:

I have been enjoying the daily for a few months now and thought it was time to contribute.  I am also a former teacher.  First taught at a Navy electronics school while on active duty.  Found I enjoyed teaching, so went on to get a Masters in Education while still in the Navy and taught in private industry and a local community college after retiring from the Navy.  I enjoy ginger beer as a soft drink by itself.  Our local COSTCO sells an Australian brand and I noticed that it will be on sale next week ($5. off a case), so I plan to stock up.

Ray

Welcome Ray!

• Like 4

Hmm, HAL’s announcement seems to focus on cruise length. Any opinions on whether a September 2021, 7 day cruise combined with a land segment of 7 days would be safe?

My booking has not been updated in anyway, and I had to leave a message with my TA. He is probably tearing his hair out right about now. 

Thoughts?

Edited by cat shepard
Edited to add date - duh!
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Hmm, HAL’s announcement seems to focus on cruise length. Any opinions on whether a 7 day cruise combined with a land segment of 7 days would be safe?

My booking has not been updated in anyway, and I had to leave a message with my TA. He is probably tearing his hair out right about now. 

Thoughts?

I sure don't know but I suspect it's quite endangered.

Roy

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Welcome to our group! Which Navy school did you teach and when?

Taught at ET"B" school at Treasure Island, CA from 1968 to 1970.  It was also career enhancing as I made Chief in 1969 and Warrant Officer in 1970.

• Like 8

Kudos to all teachers, past, present and future!  Wonder how many people one year ago knew that they would be "teaching?"  The world has certainly changed.  I salute all teachers--I am the daughter of a teacher, who didn't follow her Mother into the profession.

Well, what they were warning in the Spring is a reality here.  Our ICU beds are all full!  That was the headline in our paper today.  All four hospitals in our area, including the VA are overwhelmed.  The VA is even taking patients as overflow from the other three hospitals--and being eligible for VA is not a criteria.

Wonder what will happen for my B2B 7 days cruises in September, since they are departing from Barcelona and Rome?  Of course, I will cancel if things aren't improving?  Will only be the 3rd and 4th cruises on Nieuw Statendam that haven't worked out!  I will make it on that ship one day or one of her sisters.

Have a great rest of the day.  Prayers for all in need.  Shout outs for those celebrating, and for the good news that some have gotten recently.

• Like 9

24 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Taught at ET"B" school at Treasure Island, CA from 1968 to 1970.  It was also career enhancing as I made Chief in 1969 and Warrant Officer in 1970.

I took ET A1 & A2 at Glakes in '74, really enjoyed the classes.

• Like 4

My computer was in the shop for a week, now repaired, delivered and set up; thank goodness.  After going through my emails I turned here first and saw that HAL has cancelled all cruises through March 31. Not the news I was hoping for but not unexpected either. 

I really missed getting my daily fix of news.I am so happy to be back among my cruise friends.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, kazu said:

No worries, summer 🙂 

I guess the rules apply to any cruise prior to November 1st.  Our cruise has been cancelled that started October 30th even though we don’t call on a U.S. port until November 10th.  I am depressed 😢 

Nooooo!!!!!!!!

I’m so sorry,  what a Mess! 

• Like 4

Thanks, Rich for the thread. What a lovely collection of days! Good quotes. As intriguing as both meals sounds, it's tortellini hear in southwestern Ontario.

Congratulations to all those celebrating negative COVID testing.

DH put the final few leaves in the field today,  and we are ready for that white stuff now. 😛 I stocked the freezer because I'm anticipating that in a few weeks much of the province will be told to stay home. For my American friends, please heed the warnings about not having large Thanksgiving get-togethers. We want everyone to be there when cruising starts back up!

Blessings to you all!

Be well. Stay safe. Be kind. Wear a mask! 😷

• Like 12

5 hours ago, kazu said:

Looks like this announcement should have been a week ago on Friday the 13th.

HAL has cancelled one pile of cruises 😢 Here’s the link to the thread announcing it - 

Although it’s not listed in the official announcement, our TA called HAL when this came out. Our Grand Africa scheduled to sail October 10, 2021 has been cancelled. There will be an option to book on a GAV 2022 - two years away.😔

• Like 4

2 hours ago, richwmn said:

I took ET A1 & A2 at Glakes in '74, really enjoyed the classes.

For those not familiar with Navy acronyms, ET means electronics technician; those who repair the devices.  From your avatar, I assume that you were the type of communications technician that repaired the devices also.  Incidentally, my avatar is a helium atom, which eventually became the symbol for an electronics technician warrant officer.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Although it’s not listed in the official announcement, our TA called HAL when this came out. Our Grand Africa scheduled to sail October 10, 2021 has been cancelled. There will be an option to book on a GAV 2022 - two years away.😔

I can’t like this post.  I will just 😢 for you.

So sorry to hear this.

I have no idea how I will get the FCL up to date correctly.  OMG.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, cat shepard said:

Maybe we need to add you & “the FCL” to the Care list!

I DON’T THINK SO, but thanks for your kindness.

FCL and I are nothing.  We have people with serious problems and my focus and prayers are for them ❤️ 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Dismomx5 said:

For my American friends, please heed the warnings about not having large Thanksgiving get-togethers. We want everyone to be there when cruising starts back up!

Blessings to you all!

Be well. Stay safe. Be kind. Wear a mask! 😷

Dismomx5! I want to give you a big virtual hug!! Thank you for saying this!!!

We all need to heed this!!  I appreciate your posts that you do daily and enjoy them. You have a wonderful weekend!

Denise😊

• Like 7