CDC Raises Cruise Travel Risk to Level 4 - Very High

JT1962

I don’t know if this will change anything on the rules for cruises to resume, but it can’t help.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-cruiseship-idUKKBN2810X8

(Reuters) - The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said on Saturday it recommended that all people avoid cruise ship travel as the risk of COVID-19 on liners is very high. 

The CDC advised passengers who decide to go on a cruise should get tested 3-5 days after their trip and stay home for 7 days after travel, even if they test negative. *****/2US9P5O

Last month, the agency issued a framework for a phased resumption of cruise ship operations after a no-sail order issued in March in response to the novel coronavirus pandemic was to expire.

The CDC said earlier that from March 1 through Sept. 28, data showed “a total of 3,689 confirmed cases of COVID-19 or COVID-like illness cases on cruise ships and 41 deaths.”

4 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

I don’t know if this will change anything on the rules for cruises to resume, but it can’t help.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-cruiseship-idUKKBN2810X8

(Reuters) - The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said on Saturday it recommended that all people avoid cruise ship travel as the risk of COVID-19 on liners is very high. 

The CDC advised passengers who decide to go on a cruise should get tested 3-5 days after their trip and stay home for 7 days after travel, even if they test negative. *****/2US9P5O

Last month, the agency issued a framework for a phased resumption of cruise ship operations after a no-sail order issued in March in response to the novel coronavirus pandemic was to expire.

The CDC said earlier that from March 1 through Sept. 28, data showed “a total of 3,689 confirmed cases of COVID-19 or COVID-like illness cases on cruise ships and 41 deaths.”

I saw that yesterday. Not sure why the CDC decided at this time to raise to a Level 4, when no passenger cruises have cruised out of the US in months. Perhaps a reaction to the Seadream Covid cases?

• Like 1

All this does is further people's opinions that cruise ships are "petri dishes" and instill fear towards cruising in those people.  I agree that considering there are no cruises even allowed to sail there should have been no change in the recommendation.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

I saw that yesterday. Not sure why the CDC decided at this time to raise to a Level 4, when no passenger cruises have cruised out of the US in months. Perhaps a reaction to the Seadream Covid cases?

I think it’s a combination of cases in the US reaching record highs as well as the Sea Dream 1 Covid cases and the senator and congress woman’s efforts to get the CDC to extend the no sail order.  Hopefully the vaccines, when they come out, will allow the cruise industry to get back on its feet. 

• Like 4

I wonder what the CDC blames on the current surge of cases on? Can't blame cruise ships because they haven't been sailing. And in upping their warning to Level 4, they cite statistics that include "Covid like illnesses????????????? How many of those 3,900+ weren't Covid-19 but "Covid like illnesses", what in the world is a Covid like illness...and you can't blame ships for the stats from March 1 to Sept 28, we were sailing!

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, wolfcathorse said:

I wonder what the CDC blames on the current surge of cases on? Can't blame cruise ships because they haven't been sailing. And in upping their warning to Level 4, they cite statistics that include "Covid like illnesses????????????? How many of those 3,900+ weren't Covid-19 but "Covid like illnesses", what in the world is a Covid like illness...and you can't blame ships for the stats from March 1 to Sept 28, we were sailing!

Well said

Covid-like illness?  That's a new one.  🙄
Are we supposed to cower at home with our masks on because of Covid-like illnesses now?
I'm pretty sure that nasty cold I had last year was a Covid-like illness. 
Not saying Covid isn't a serious virus, but so is the flu to many people that are at high risk.
Remember H1N1?
If the CDC is adding  "Covid-like illnesses" to the mix I'm gonna revolt.🤨

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, wolfcathorse said:

Unfortunately, the recent Sea Dream 1 incident caught the attention of lawmakers and the CDC, since there were 37 Americans onboard as well as several press and media representatives. Even though the cruise did not sail out of a US port and was not under CDC jurisdiction, it received worldwide attention and created pressure on the CDC by US lawmakers to extend the NSO.  The raising of the Level 4 travel risk for cruise ships might also have been a result of this pressure. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

More testing seems to be contributing to the rise in cases.  Every UrgiCare in our area has lines wrapped around the block.  We decided it is no worse, just more testing being done so numbers have gone up🥴

Actually it's not just more testing.  The positivity rate of the tests has gone up from about 4-4.5% in October to around 10% now:

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/individual-states/usa

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Actually it's not just more testing.  The positivity rate of the tests has gone up from about 4-4.5% in October to around 10% now:

I am not smarter than Johns Hopkins but this graft is saying we have been about 5% or above since June - These numbers seem inflated - 

7 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

I am not smarter than Johns Hopkins but this graft is saying we have been about 5% or above since June - These numbers seem inflated - 

I think you are looking at the graph wrong. You need to look at the blue line on the graph. That is the positivity rate.

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DaniDanielle said:

More testing seems to be contributing to the rise in cases.  Every UrgiCare in our area has lines wrapped around the block.  We decided it is no worse, just more testing being done so numbers have gone up🥴

More testing does not have anything to do with incresed hospitalizations and deaths!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

I'm glad to see Florida is under the US average and below the highs of July and August.  Interesting charts -- thanks for posting. 

• Like 2

I said it in previous threads - you can't look at the raw number, you need to look at the per capita rate.  It's a given that if more people are tested you're going to have more cases as a raw number.  New York is reporting tests that come back positive as a percent of total tests done.

55 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

The positivity rate will likely show a misleading drop soon because of all of the Thanksgiving travelers being tested before they leave.  

• Like 3