New vaccine

hollyjess

25 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

I don’t think this has been mentioned yet but on the News at Ten last night we’re doing much better with the vaccine roll out than other parts of Europe- France, Italy Germany and Netherlands were mentioned. I was surprised how very low The Netherlands was.:classic_unsure:

2 minutes ago, zap99 said:

The UK have Jabbed many more than the whole of the EU put together and are amongst the leading countries in the world.. Doubt you will see much praise on here.

Zapp you fell in again  :classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

I don’t think this has been mentioned yet but on the News at Ten last night we’re doing much better with the vaccine roll out than other parts of Europe- France, Italy Germany and Netherlands were mentioned. I was surprised how very low The Netherlands was.

The Dutch government have had other things on their mind.  The whole cabinet resigned en-masse earlier today.  Nothing to do with covid btw.

Dutch Rutte government resigns over child welfare fraud scandal - BBC News

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

The UK have Jabbed many more than the whole of the EU put together and are amongst the leading countries in the world.. Doubt you will see much praise on here.

I completely agree  that our vaccination record is brilliant, all praise to everybody who has made it so. I just wish we didn’t turn things into a competition though (for political reasons?). I would love other countries to be doing as well as we are and that our ‘world beating’ systems such as test and trace were as good as in many other countries. 

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, pete14 said:

I completely agree  that our vaccination record is brilliant, all praise to everybody who has made it so. I just wish we didn’t turn things into a competition though (for political reasons?). I would love other countries to be doing as well as we are and that our ‘world beating’ systems such as test and trace were as good as in many other countries. 

I am sure that we would give them some help, if they asked. The more folk who are Jabbed around the world the batter, as you say not a competition.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pete14 said:

I completely agree  that our vaccination record is brilliant, all praise to everybody who has made it so. I just wish we didn’t turn things into a competition though (for political reasons?). I would love other countries to be doing as well as we are.

I agree, I think the vaccinations are going well considering there is a need for staff to visit care homes (and quite probaby other over 80's).  Even older people going to a vaccination centre will not be able to go through as quickly as those a bit younger, who can be capable of removing outer garments before the injection is administered.  The very old also tend to have slower reactions, so will on average take a bit longer to go through the consent details etc.

From a future travel perspective, as well as continued safety here, we also need the rest of the world to get to grips with the virus.  Hence we should be hoping all goes well with them and help countries who need that help, as mentioned by Chris Whitty in today's briefing.

Edited by tring
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, tring said:

I agree, I think the vaccinations are going well considering there is a need for staff to visit care homes (and quite probaby other over 80's).  Even older people going to a vaccination centre will not be able to go through as quickly as those a bit younger, who can be capable of removing outer garments before the injection is administered.  The very old also tend to have slower reactions, so will on average take a bit longer to go through the consent details etc.

From a future travel perspective, as well as continued safety here, we also need the rest of the world to get to grips with the virus.  Hence we should be hoping all goes well with them and help countries who need that help, as mentioned by Chris Whitty in today's briefing.

All looking good. Although not personally involved in this process it makes you feel proud for all the folk who are. The have been working like crazy, long hours, not many days off and their efforts to protect us are begining to pay off. Not long ago the cry was "  2m a week, impossible ". 316k yesterday. Fantastic effort. I hope the rest catch up.

• Like 5

The 316k vaccinations yesterday is indeed fantastic. If that can rise to 400k a day and be sustained then the target of getting all of groups 1-4 vaccinated by 15th Feb becomes achievable. It sounds as though the NHS has the capacity to deliver this, which is a phenomenal achievement and a huge relief. The challenges appear to be continuity of supply of the vaccine and an even distribution around the UK. Sounds as though there are major issues with both of these at present, but there is still time. If these issues can be sorted then hopefully the vaccination rate can be maintained beyond mid Feb, or preferably increased even further, in which case even us youngsters (😗) will be in with a chance of a jab in the Spring, which is a definite improvement on my previous predictions of Summer or even later. Never will I have felt happier to have been proved wrong!

• Like 8

51 minutes ago, kevcharben said:

Looks good with the numbers, although I am perplexed as to why my mother in law who is 95 has not yet been contacted at all yet?

No over 80s in the community around here have had appointments either, just rumours that the local practice is hoping to get the vaccine by the end of January. If so, that will be a full 6 weeks after the first community vaccines in some parts of the country (naming no names!), and well after some others in the same group have had their second jab. There’s a lot of catching up to do!

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

The 316k vaccinations yesterday is indeed fantastic. If that can rise to 400k a day and be sustained then the target of getting all of groups 1-4 vaccinated by 15th Feb becomes achievable. It sounds as though the NHS has the capacity to deliver this, which is a phenomenal achievement and a huge relief. The challenges appear to be continuity of supply of the vaccine and an even distribution around the UK. Sounds as though there are major issues with both of these at present, but there is still time. If these issues can be sorted then hopefully the vaccination rate can be maintained beyond mid Feb, or preferably increased even further, in which case even us youngsters (😗) will be in with a chance of a jab in the Spring, which is a definite improvement on my previous predictions of Summer or even later. Never will I have felt happier to have been proved wrong!

I don't think there's any worries about the supply of vaccine, if yesterday's info published by the Scottish government is anything to go by (it was quickly withdrawn when they realised they'd disclosed a week by week breakdown of supply figures). 

6 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

I don't think there's any worries about the supply of vaccine, if yesterday's info published by the Scottish government is anything to go by (it was quickly withdrawn when they realised they'd disclosed a week by week breakdown of supply figures). 

Was that just for Scotland? 

19 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Yep, it was the Scottish supply figures but you can obviously work out a rough figure for England based on those. The have you seen the document? Its floating about on social media. 

I could but I won’t because we’re in Wales!

Just now, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Ah OK. I'm guessing it's being shared pro rata amongst the four nations. I'd hope so anyway. 

I would hope so too but we’re well behind. A friend works in the local surgery and says that they’re ready to administer the vaccine but probably won’t get any before the end of the month.  

38 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

I hope you are right, but the major news channels seem to be saying tonight that there are issues with supply of the vaccine from Phizer, who have slowed production. Several EU countries complaining about it. Obviously that’s just one vaccine, but I recall Matt Hancock detailing the initial orders of the Oxford vaccine and they certainly weren’t enough on their own. Several Drs and GP surgeries also on the news today saying that they could be vaccinating far more people if they had more vaccines. Many had run out and were awaiting deliveries. Also huge variations in vaccination rates to date between the four nations and counties within. In a perverse way though, this could be interpreted as encouraging. If 316k can be vaccinated in one day with all these issues, the 400k we need to be doing a day now sounds achievable as surely these issues will smooth out over time. 

Just now, Selbourne said:

I hope you are right, but the major news channels seem to be saying tonight that there are issues with supply of the vaccine from Phizer, who have slowed production. Several EU countries complaining about it. Obviously that’s just one vaccine, but I recall Matt Hancock detailing the initial orders of the Oxford vaccine and they certainly weren’t enough on their own. Several Drs and GP surgeries also on the news today saying that they could be vaccinating far more people if they had more vaccines. Many had run out and were awaiting deliveries. Also huge variations in vaccination rates to date between the four nations and counties within. In a perverse way though, this could be interpreted as encouraging. If 316k can be vaccinated in one day with all these issues, the 400k we need to be doing a day now sounds achievable as surely these issues will smooth out over time. 

I can only go on what I've read on social media, but it would seem that the government weren't happy about the Scottish publication as they don't want the supply figures made public. Apparently they are worried that, if other countries see how many doses we're getting, they'll put pressure on the manufacturer for more doses for their countries too. The Scottish publication figures detailed worst case scenario, allowing for wastage and interruptions to supply. The Scottish health minister made an apology to Matt Hancock today for publishing the figures. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

I can only go on what I've read on social media, but it would seem that the government weren't happy about the Scottish publication as they don't want the supply figures made public. Apparently they are worried that, if other countries see how many doses we're getting, they'll put pressure on the manufacturer for more doses for their countries too. The Scottish publication figures detailed worst case scenario, allowing for wastage and interruptions to supply. The Scottish health minister made an apology to Matt Hancock today for publishing the figures. 

Well they are public now with several thousands  of copies downloaded from the Scottish Gov site! every newspaper, TV, radio etc  etc downloading the file

Just a thought, a lot of those other countries would know anyway. At least the ones who have competent intelligence organisations.

Edited by davecttr

Had a Zoom call with my archaeology group today after some discussions around various recent discoveries we got onto to the subject of vaccines, one of my colleagues said they had vaccinated all the over 80s that wanted or were able to be vaccinated and had started on the the 75 to 80 group.Admittedly the town has a population of just over 5000 but has profile skewed towards over 50s.

Local Authority daily update indicated first day of pharmacy vaccinations had gone well and that the vaccination hub at exhibition centre will open next week so together with GP surgeries should rapidly increase the numbers being vaccinated. They hope to get all over 80s and carers completed before end of January the start on under 80s.

if the stick to the groupings the over 65s will start in mid February, but need to remember that the vast majority of those vaccinated still need their second dose, so not yet fully protected. 

The infected numbers rose this week by 17% to over 950, appears I live in the No 1 hotspot in the borough, so will not be going anywhere, sadly 7 people have died in last week. 

2 hours ago, Ardennais said:

No over 80s in the community around here have had appointments either, just rumours that the local practice is hoping to get the vaccine by the end of January. If so, that will be a full 6 weeks after the first community vaccines in some parts of the country (naming no names!), and well after some others in the same group have had their second jab. There’s a lot of catching up to do!

Sadly I have heard a fair bit about the NHS on Wales.  One being from someone in a NW UK support group for an uncommon neurological condition which I also suffer from.  The person could not get the recommended treatment in Wales at all, so moved to Chester and was soon being treated appropriately, though have been some hiccups due to covid when the treatments were suspended everywhere.

Also my brother retired to North Wales when he retired and I have heard a fair few tales from him as well.  As you seem to live in a remote area, I can understand the late start given the probs with the Pfizer vaccine, but would have hoped your NHS would have sorted some vaccines administration  by now.  Hope it is sorted soon.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ardennais said:

Exactly the same in this part of England. None of the over 80s or Clinically Extremely Vulnerable have yet been called up, and the vaccination centre still hasn't opened. Something of a postcode lottery in all this.

We're doing pretty well so far, internationally, probably because the NHS is such a cohesive force, but I do wish daft statements hadn't been made by Matt Hancock about millions of vaccinations by the end of 2020, when the actual figure achieved wasn't remotely near that - it just drains away what little trust people have in the government already.

I'm still very wary of the use of the word 'offered' rather than 'delivered' in the mid-February promise, given the way the 100,000 test target was cynically manipulated by counting tests just put in the post! To get anywhere near that the number of current vaccinations will have to rocket very shortly.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ardennais said:

Sadly no over 80s done here either....... The info keeps changing too with vaccinations starting next week, to starting in two weeks to then starting at a practice 10 miles away in the near future.......😢

• Like 2