New vaccine

hollyjess

2 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

also just read that Pfizer have a problem delivering quantities to Europe.  Let's hope the Astra Zeneca one will have enough for all of us.  My other half has had Pfizer, hope they have enough for his second dose.

They said that this was because they were upgrading production capacity. I guess to do that they have to stop production to install new equipment etc?

They should have enough for the second dose as that is up to 12 weeks away and they should be slowing the release of the first dose to ensure there are enough second doses. The proverbial might hit the fan if people expecting their second dose had it postponed. They will move heaven and earth to avoid that, hopefully!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, davecttr said:

That's what I understand as well. And the Pfizer %age might be lower than reported?

Here is an excerpt from trial data; 

BNT162b2 exhibited a favorable tolerability and safety profile. Based on a data cut-off date of October 9, 2020, 37,706 participants had a median of at least two months of safety data available after dose 2 and contributed to the main safety dataset. Among these participants, 49% were female; 83% were White; 9% were Black or African American; 28% were Hispanic/Latinx; 35% were obese (BMI ≥30.0 kg/m2); and 21% had at least one underlying comorbidity. The median age was 52 years, and 42% were older than 55 years.

2 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

also just read that Pfizer have a problem delivering quantities to Europe.  Let's hope the Astra Zeneca one will have enough for all of us.  My other half has had Pfizer, hope they have enough for his second dose.

Although, to be fair, the second dose only gives a marginal amount of extra immunity. 

My mother (94) had her Pfizer injection just before Christmas.  Her second injection has now been postponed for 2 months or so. Her reaction is that she is pleased that someone else will get the vaccine,  and get some protection, rather than she getting the second vaccine for little extra protection.

Mind you, she dodged the V2 bombs in WW2 whilst working as a trainee nurse in London, so has a fairly robust view on life and death, and inherent risks! 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

Here is an excerpt from trial data; 

BNT162b2 exhibited a favorable tolerability and safety profile. Based on a data cut-off date of October 9, 2020, 37,706 participants had a median of at least two months of safety data available after dose 2 and contributed to the main safety dataset. Among these participants, 49% were female; 83% were White; 9% were Black or African American; 28% were Hispanic/Latinx; 35% were obese (BMI ≥30.0 kg/m2); and 21% had at least one underlying comorbidity. The median age was 52 years, and 42% were older than 55 years.

That suggests that the vaccine is considered safe for extremely elderly and frail people, or does it?

7 minutes ago, davecttr said:

That suggests that the vaccine is considered safe for extremely elderly and frail people, or does it?

Yes it does,  because you are more likely to die from CV19 if you don't have the vaccine, than dying from having the vaccine.

To be fair, I'm not sure how any clinical trials can give any concrete evidence when the frail and elderly are involved. There are just too many variables involved, and, without being callous, insufficient time to gauge the efficacy of any trial.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Considerably safe? I am not sure that is what is suggested, I have seen no trial results that say how many extremely elderly or frail people took part in the trial. The median age was 52 and 42% above 55 suggests that  more young people were trialled than old. However there is nothing to say that the vaccine won't be more effective on older people just because they were not trialled. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

Although, to be fair, the second dose only gives a marginal amount of extra immunity. 

My mother (94) had her Pfizer injection just before Christmas.  Her second injection has now been postponed for 2 months or so. Her reaction is that she is pleased that someone else will get the vaccine,  and get some protection, rather than she getting the second vaccine for little extra protection.

Mind you, she dodged the V2 bombs in WW2 whilst working as a trainee nurse in London, so has a fairly robust view on life and death, and inherent risks! 

Your Mothers spirit/attitude is to be admired, a 94 year old leading the way. Why some people moan the fact they will have to wait another few weeks .Top woman in my book !

• Like 7

1 minute ago, kalos said:

Your Mothers spirit/attitude is to be admired, a 94 year old leading the way. Why some people moan the fact they will have to wait another few weeks .Top woman in my book !

That was the selfless spirit of that generation.

I agree she sounds like a lovely woman.

• Like 3

Apologies for being a wuss, but some of you seem very knowledgeable about the vaccines.  Is there any truth in the rumours that the Pfizer one can cause serious problems - even death - in those who are allergic to penicillin?  Or is it just Qanon talking?  (They sound like a real bunch of trouble).

A sunny morning here too; time to put out some seed for the poor little birds without worrying about getting very wet or slipping.

Another lovely day and another day of jabbing at the GP hub.  They must have deferred to it being a Sunday and started at 10 today.  No activity when we started our walk, hi-viz marshalls and quiet short queues just now, as we returned.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Apologies for being a wuss, but some of you seem very knowledgeable about the vaccines.  Is there any truth in the rumours that the Pfizer one can cause serious problems - even death - in those who are allergic to penicillin?  Or is it just Qanon talking?  (They sound like a real bunch of trouble).

A sunny morning here too; time to put out some seed for the poor little birds without worrying about getting very wet or slipping.

lots of information below.  The sun article is surprisingly informative and factual and there is no mention of Gemma Collins.

https://www.anaphylaxis.org.uk/covid-19-advice/pfizer-covid-19-vaccine-and-allergies/

https://www.sps.nhs.uk/articles/advising-individuals-with-allergies-on-their-suitability-for-pfizer-biontech-covid-19-vaccine/

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/13437762/covid-vaccine-allergic-to-penicillin/

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, lincslady said:

There is no evidence to suggest penicillin will cause death or serious illness. Anyone that thinks they have an allergy to Penicillin should always make sure they mention it even though it may be on the medical records. Anti vaxers/conspiracy theorists will jump on any opportunity to spread their bile. Anyone can have a reaction to almost any medicine but it is minimal.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, kalos said:

I wonder how many folk of her generation trawl through reports discussing the efficacy of the various vaccines for different age groups ?. Dad made bombs during the war so was at home. On the way home from his shift a doodlebug hit some houses and he fell off his bike. Worked all night getting people out, turned round and went straight back to work in the  morning. I can imagine him saying, Not having the AZ vaccine, it's only 77.6% efficacy in my demographic.

Edited by zap99
  • Like 5

My mother was a WAAF in WWII.  She was supposed to go to the shelter when the siren went, but couldn't be bothered so decided to stay in bed.  When she got up next morning the shelter had been hit!  Can't imagine her worrying about the AZ vaccine either!

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 3

I may be being naive but I’m starting to feel rather optimistic about the second half of this year. The government are so far doing a great job of rolling out the vaccine (local blips apart). 
I’m under no illusion that future variants may cause problems and that at some point the vaccine rollout may stall - but thanks to so many wonderful people doing their upmost things looking so much better.

• Like 15

33 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

I may be being naive but I’m starting to feel rather optimistic about the second half of this year. The government are so far doing a great job of rolling out the vaccine (local blips apart). 
I’m under no illusion that future variants may cause problems and that at some point the vaccine rollout may stall - but thanks to so many wonderful people doing their upmost things looking so much better.

I am optimistic too, as I don't want to consider the alternative. 

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

I may be being naïve but I’m starting to feel rather optimistic about the second half of this year. The government are so far doing a great job of rolling out the vaccine (local blips apart). 

I'm with you Angel ... They said a vaccine could not be made for covid ....

They made one :classic_smile:

They said it would take years of testing ...

It didn't :classic_smile:

They said it will take years to vaccinate us that needed it ... 

.....            1534833879174.jpg.c5663fd710f31940268071243a382c96.jpg 

No if's no but's were doing OK :classic_smile:      

• Like 8

37 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

There was a good article in one of the papers yesterday about how it is possible(and beneficial) to have hope as well as being realistic about the covid situation  I found it encouraging

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, ann141 said:

There was a good article in one of the papers yesterday about how it is possible(and beneficial) to have hope as well as being realistic about the covid situation  I found it encouraging

Without hope we have nothing....... 

• Like 4

Very true.  I am having a bored day today.  Cleaned the fridge, made dog biscuits, but it's so samey with nothing on the horizon.  Just seen the list of mass vaccination centres.  No flaming good for Devon & Cornwall.  Nearest one is 69 miles away.  I would go to that if there was no alternative, but we need something down here.

Many thanks for the information, Dinglebert.  I will read my way through it, and hopefully feel reassured.  I am normally pretty tough, being one of the ancient and stoical brigade, but have been fairly ill from several allergies in the past.  And will obviously discuss with whoever is planning to give me the vaccine.

My oldest friend heard that you could just turn up in the Woking Centre, and did so.  They were pleased to see her and did her vaccination.  Being the Pfizer one, presumably they had more of it than the numbers booked in, and naturally did not want to waste it.  The Astra one is going to be easier for them all to handle, without the necessary extra cold storage.  

Fingers crossed, the organising all round seems to be pretty good , and we may be able to pat ourselves on the back, as a nation, in due course, for good handling of at least this aspect.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Angel57 said:

It’s the people on the ground doing a great job, working unbelievably long hours to set up the vaccination programme and get people vaccinated, plus do all their normal work. I’m actually worried that some of them will suffer burn out from all this as the pace of work is not sustainable.