New vaccine

hollyjess

18 minutes ago, arlowood said:

BTW does anyone know if you can book consecutive time slots when you go online. I want to avoid booking my time slot then finding that when I revisit the site to book my wife's test, the only time slots are at significant differences from mine. A minor quibble I know in the great scheme of things but I would be interested to know if any others have knowledge.

We would very much like to know the answer to this as well.  We have not been called yet, but over 70, so may get a letter reasonably soon and we could be called to to a mass vaccination centre which would take a good 45 mins to drive to, but is mentioned by our local clinical commissioning group, so must be used by our area.  I cannot drive, but our birthdays are less than 6 weeks apart, so hoping we may be able to go together.  I cannot drive for medical reasons, so otherwise DH would have to drive twice.

Our area is known for having a very elderly population, so thinking waiting for our GP hub could be a much longer wait. 

Edited by tring

4 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Never thought of that, it might work though.

It's a thought, - but since they would both be routed through the same wifi router, they may have the same IP address and that could throw a wobbly with the booking system software.

I may give it a try though and see what happens

• Like 1

1 minute ago, arlowood said:

It's a thought, - but since they would both be routed through the same wifi router, they may have the same IP address and that could throw a wobbly with the booking system software.

Maybe one could use their mobile phone and turn off its WIFI and use its 4G instead.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, arlowood said:

1 using  4G instead of Wi-fi ?

2 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Yes I knew about Quantas etc but this appears to be the first cruise company, unless anyone has heard of any others? It is useful to know about these things in advance.

This has been widely reported, yet the Quantas website (updated 15th January 2021) makes NO mention of mandatory vaccination at all, either on the main page or in the Coronavirus update section (nothing that I can find, anyway).

While countries can stipulate specific vaccines to be able to enter, it is going to be very difficult for any business which caters for all ages, including young children, to start insisting on this.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, kalos said:

The only way my old mobile would get 4G is if I popped it in our spin-dryer :classic_unsure:

This made me chuckle, we have 5G in some areas around here now but I know there are lots of areas where getting a signal at all is a challenge. We are in a blackspot and so often have to wander around the house to get a signal but are fortunate that our wifi is excellent.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nosapphire said:

This has been widely reported, yet the Quantas website (updated 15th January 2021) makes NO mention of mandatory vaccination at all, either on the main page or in the Coronavirus update section (nothing that I can find, anyway).

While countries can stipulate specific vaccines to be able to enter, it is going to be very difficult for any business which caters for all ages, including young children, to start insisting on this.

That is strange as the the head of the company is widely quoted in a range of media.

I see that the head of TUI is saying the opposite, that turning away customers “would be a mistake”.

53 minutes ago, nicki-k said:

This made me chuckle, we have 5G in some areas around here now but I know there are lots of areas where getting a signal at all is a challenge. We are in a blackspot and so often have to wander around the house to get a signal but are fortunate that our wifi is excellent.

Hi Nicki ,the signal is not the problem ,I very rarely use my old Nokia Lumia phone and it is PAYG I think the last time it had a top up was almost two years ago and still got £2.22 balance . If it works why change it ?  I leave all that G numbers to the Mrs phone .:classic_smile:

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, kalos said:

Hi Nicki ,the signal is not the problem ,I very rarely use my old Nokia Lumia phone and it is PAYG I think the last time it had a top up was almost two years ago and still got £2.22 balance . If it works why change it ?  I leave all that G numbers to the Mrs phone .:classic_smile:

If you don't use it, usually after about 3-4 months your phone will be cut-off and your PAYG credit will be lost.This happened to Pauline's brother.

Edited by grapau27

36 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

If you don't use it, usually after about 3-4 months your phone will be cut-off and your PAYG credit will be lost.This happened to Pauline's brother.

Not with this Graham ,The O2 sim deal I got almost 20 years ago , if I was to change phone I would lose it .Hence me having the old phone . The contract remains valid .:classic_smile:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kalos said:

Not with this Graham ,The O2 sim deal I got almost 20 years ago , if I was to change phone I would lose it .Hence me having the old phone . The contract remains valid .:classic_smile:

Kalos, I do think that you do need to use your phone at least once every 6 months, even if only to receive a call, otherwise O2 will cut off your number.

• Like 1

That certainly happened to me, several years ago.  I managed to speak to Vodaphone (I think) and get it restored but I’d only gone a short time over the relevant dormant period.  After that I made a diary note to activate it every 3 months

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Kalos, I do think that you do need to use your phone at least once every 6 months, even if only to receive a call, otherwise O2 will cut off your number.

Same with EE. An outward call or text usually needed every 180 days or so on most networks. You can usually get back any lost credit, but it’s quite a hassle.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Maybe Wowzz I'm sure that maybe the case that I have text or very rare done a phone call .

When I put a tenner on it they give me a £1 credit reward making it £11 plus the remaining  balance, but there is no expiry time on use , which suits me fine . I hate mobile phones I had a works one and a radio I had to lug around with me . Those are gone now and my own phone my wife informs me that she put a tenner on it when I was taken into hospital which was over 15 months so I am still happy with my £2.22 balance  .

Edited by kalos
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, kalos said:

That's good news Kalos.

Paulines brother bought £10 PAYG credit but never used his mobile phone for almost a year then when he tried to use it he was disconnected and when we rang EE for him they said if the PAYG phones are not used within 3 month's they cut the line and you lose your credit.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

I have a smart phone but without a SIM which I use for web browsing etc when out and about. For making calls and texts I use a Doro phone with lovely big pensioner buttons. It is EE PAYG so costs me a 15p text every few months to keep the account live.

• Like 1

Hi all, I, too can confirm I had a little credit card sized card after my Pfizer jab with the date and batch number of the vaccine on it.

Today, through work (NHS) I was able to book my second jab which will be exactly 12 weeks since the first one. I’m rather nervous if it’s a good thing to wait so long rather than the three weeks recommended but I realise I’m lucky to have it at all.

My parents who were called by phone call from their GP were both given the same time slot! They haven’t got a second date yet and they didn’t have to book online.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Hi all, I, too can confirm I had a little credit card sized card after my Pfizer jab with the date and batch number of the vaccine on it.

Today, through work (NHS) I was able to book my second jab which will be exactly 12 weeks since the first one. I’m rather nervous if it’s a good thing to wait so long rather than the three weeks recommended but I realise I’m lucky to have it at all.

My parents who were called by phone call from their GP were both given the same time slot! They haven’t got a second date yet and they didn’t have to book online.

Equally and completely the opposite I was not given a card when I had the first vaccination 6 weeks ago.  Equally i don't yet have an appointment for the second.

On 1/20/2021 at 2:39 PM, Adawn47 said:

Just received a letter for Frank's vaccination from the NHS. Filled the form in online for the nearest centre. Morley Leeds, approx50 miles round trip. He says he'll wait until our  local GP contacts him as it said on the letter.

Avril

I was so excited for you that Frank was finally called, I hope he doesn’t have to wait too long for the GP to contact him.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

That is strange as the the head of the company is widely quoted in a range of media.

I see that the head of TUI is saying the opposite, that turning away customers “would be a mistake”.

I believe the CEO actually said that it was something that was being looked at and discussed, which got turned into a definitive statement  "must be vaccinated" by the media.

Attached link from Euronews.

https://www.euronews.com/2020/11/24/international-travellers-could-soon-require-covid-19-vaccination-qantas-chief-says

• Like 1

I spoke to my mother (88) earlier today and she is still waiting. The community nurse that called round earlier in the week informed her that her surgery expect to start vaccinations mid February and use a centre over 10 miles away.

Edited by purplesea
  • Like 1