New vaccine

hollyjess

8 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

The govt are saying their supplies are secure for this Jean.

Yes I know they say that, but they never actually say how many doses are actually here in the UK.  I wonder if mine will be Pfizer or AZ tomorrow.

• Like 1

This is interesting - about the importance of vaccine stopping you being infectious. Apparently just depending on a vaccine will not reduce the R number below just under 1.5. It is a complex read but the graphs are interesting. Download the pdf file from the top right of the page. I found it via the BBC site

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.12.27.20248896v2

10 minutes ago, davecttr said:

This is interesting - about the importance of vaccine stopping you being infectious. Apparently just depending on a vaccine will not reduce the R number below just under 1.5. It is a complex read but the graphs are interesting. Download the pdf file from the top right of the page. I found it via the BBC site

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.12.27.20248896v2

It is interesting but as with many other studies has to make assumptions, one important point that is mentioned several times is the uptake of the vaccine. The current suggested uptake is below that needed to reach herd immunity. A lot of businesses could drive the uptake by putting new rules in place requiring people to have the vaccine to enter their premises or trains/planes/ships etc. Plus a continuation of the NHS drive to show that the vaccine is safe, people should now be realising that after 9000000 doses given it is safe.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Plus a continuation of the NHS drive to show that the vaccine is safe, people should now be realising that after 9000000 doses given it is safe.

Plus to inform about the content of the vaccine.  For instance that there is no meat or meat derivatives in the vaccine.  Fake news suggesting that has been posted by two different people on these boards today!!!  

• Like 7

On a more happy note The latest vaccine increase of 609,010  is fantastic news .

They report it is 21% more than last week .

Glad to hear that Jean will add to that figure tomorrow ,which is good news as well.

Soon we will all be vaccinated and death rates will fall and life will look a little  bit

like normal again .:classic_smile:

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, kalos said:

On a more happy note The latest vaccine increase of 609,010  is fantastic news .

They report it is 21% more than last week .

Glad to hear that Jean will add to that figure tomorrow ,which is good news as well.

Soon we will all be vaccinated and death rates will fall and life will look a little  bit

like normal again .:classic_smile:

I say Amen to this.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, tring said:

Possibly not  as he has been in hospital a while with pneumonia, but could have had one in early December.

Surely in recognition for all the work he has done raising money for the NHS he should have been the first one to get it?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Surely in recognition for all the work he has done raising money for the NHS he should have been the first one to get it?

3 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Being 100 years of age should have put him in the first group of people to be vaccinated.

Depending on what medications he was on - total lockdown

may have been the better option. Then I doubt they would risk it

whilst being treated for pneumonia in case it overwhelmed any immune system he may have left.

Edited by Aulanis
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, tring said:

Plus to inform about the content of the vaccine.  For instance that there is no meat or meat derivatives in the vaccine.  Fake news suggesting that has been posted by two different people on these boards today!!!  

Fake news is so widespread that it is getting ever harder to differentiate. Some people will always believe what they want to believe regardless of what is real, as long as I am protected from them I will be happy.

• Like 6

Just now, grapau27 said:

Being 100 years of age should have put him in the first group of people to be vaccinated.

Very true. Perhaps his lack of vaccination is an issue of supply to his area/gp practice. We are west lancs. My father is 82 tablet diabetic. He got the call maybe 3 days into the vaccine process and was jabbed maybe 8 days after the first jab took place. Dec 16th was his first shot and Jan 6th his second. My friends father has not yet been done and I think he is similar age group. He is signed up to a different GP practice but would be in the same vaccination centre. Perhaps some GP's are better are getting supply then others?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Fake news is so widespread that it is getting ever harder to differentiate. Some people will always believe what they want to believe regardless of what is real, as long as I am protected from them I will be happy.

Sadly it hasn’t been helped by its redefinition as alternative facts.

I have a sneaking suspicion though that we’ve been through similar times before, maybe starting with Caxton’s printing press!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

As mentioned by some others, depends how long he has been ill and possibly what medication he may be on.  They were vaccinating hospital patients in December, but would likely not do him if he was very ill and frail.

Sad situation whatever, but he has had a long life and may not be advisable for him to have aggressive treatment now or he may not want it.  Hope he does pull through though.

Edited by tring
  • Like 5

25 minutes ago, tring said:

As mentioned by some others, depends how long he has been ill and possibly what medication he may be on.  They were vaccinating hospital patients in December, but would likely not do him if he was very ill and frail.

Sad situation whatever, but he has had a long life and may not be advisable for him to have aggressive treatment now or he may not want it.  Hope he does pull through though.

Until I saw the breaking news today on BBC I wasn't aware Captain Tom was unwell.

Like everyone else who is in hospital with Covid19 I sincerely hope Tom and they make a full recovery.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 7

11 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Until I saw the breaking news today on BBC I wasn't aware Captain Tom was unwell.

Like everyone else who is in hospital with Covid19 I sincerely hope Tom and they make a full recovery.

Looking at the BBC text now, it sounds like he has just gone into hospital, but been treated for pneumonia for a few weeks at home.  They say the news was posted on twitter by his daughter.

I suspect the family have had enough publicity this year, but she decided to make his admission public since it would make the news anyway by other means.  A difficult time for any family, so hope the press leave them alone now, but I am sure we will hear of the outcome.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ace2542 said:

He was on holiday in the Caribbean over Xmas with his family, and has been suffering from pneumonia symptoms for a few weeks, and vaccination is not recommended when suffering from that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tring said:

Possibly not  as he has been in hospital a while with pneumonia, but could have had one in early December.

The evening news has reported that Sir Tom Moore was in Barbados with his family in December. BA paid for the flights.

Edited by downsmead