New vaccine

hollyjess

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

Actually, I do think that some times it is time to say Good Bye

So do I wowzz. I only meant that they are words that are sometimes said to grieving relatives thinking they comforting, and they are far from it. Some words are best thought and not said.

Avril

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eddie99 said:

Longer term news is that the government has ordered more mega-millions of vaccine doses from a French developer.  This seems to show that they are getting set for continual vaccinations for the foreseeable future.  

I thought the vaccine that France developed failed? It could mean the (Oxford?) vaccine think it was, that I'd heard is going to be manufactued in France.

Avril

Sky news website, timeline 08.16 today

UK ups order of French vaccine - in sign they are preparing for longer-term vaccination programme

The UK has upped its order of French vaccine candidate Valneva - securing 40 million additional doses for 2022.

Some 60 million doses had already been agreed upon but the latest negotiation is a signal the government is making preparations for the years ahead.

Britain could still order a further 90 million doses between 2023 and 2025, the company said.

The firm expects to report on its Phase I/II clinical trial within three months and commercial production has already begun in Scotland.

"The further 40 million doses secured through today's deal significantly bolsters our portfolio and gives us future flexibility should we need to revaccinate any of the UK population," said interim chair of government's vaccines taskforce, Clive Dix.

Valneva hopes its COVID-19 vaccine can start to be used in Britain between July and September.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I thought the vaccine that France developed failed? It could mean the (Oxford?) vaccine think it was, that I'd heard is going to be manufactued in France.

Avril

The one that the Pasteur Institute were making in conjunction with Merck failed, however Valneva who manufacture the vaccine in Scotland still looks promising for later in the year.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

So do I wowzz. I only meant that they are words that are sometimes said to grieving relatives thinking they comforting, and they are far from it. Some words are best thought and not said.

Avril

I would agree with the fact it would be totally wrong to say that to a grieving relative.  That is not what I did when you decided to jump on my comment though.  Not that I thought that initial reply of yours was worthy of a response. 

Edited by tring

9 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

The one that the Pasteur Institute were making in conjunction with Merck failed, however Valneva who manufacture the vaccine in Scotland still looks promising for later in the year.

As they say we are in this fight for a long time yet and with nearly 8 billion in the world that is a lot of jabs needed. The many millions of infections will mean new mutated variants will keep appearing so are we looking at an annual flu type vaccine program.

In the medium timeframe it looks as if international travel will take a long time to recover, that includes cruises as well unless they are cruises to nowhere with only 'local' passengers

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, davecttr said:

As they say we are in this fight for a long time yet and with nearly 8 billion in the world that is a lot of jabs needed. The many millions of infections will mean new mutated variants will keep appearing so are we looking at an annual flu type vaccine program.

In the medium timeframe it looks as if international travel will take a long time to recover, that includes cruises as well unless they are cruises to nowhere with only 'local' passengers

I'm rather hoping for a worthwhile treatment at some point, to work in conjunction with the vaccine.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Sky news website, timeline 08.16 today

UK ups order of French vaccine - in sign they are preparing for longer-term vaccination programme

The UK has upped its order of French vaccine candidate Valneva - securing 40 million additional doses for 2022.

Some 60 million doses had already been agreed upon but the latest negotiation is a signal the government is making preparations for the years ahead.

Britain could still order a further 90 million doses between 2023 and 2025, the company said.

The firm expects to report on its Phase I/II clinical trial within three months and commercial production has already begun in Scotland.

"The further 40 million doses secured through today's deal significantly bolsters our portfolio and gives us future flexibility should we need to revaccinate any of the UK population," said interim chair of government's vaccines taskforce, Clive Dix.

Valneva hopes its COVID-19 vaccine can start to be used in Britain between July and September.

What is interesting about this is a new story suggested that production would not commence until 2022.

If it transpires that boosters / annual variants are not necessary (unknown at this point) then the UK can either sell their stock, or agree to cancel the order.

But if they are needed, they've banked them.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, molecrochip said:

What is interesting about this is a new story suggested that production would not commence until 2022.

If it transpires that boosters / annual variants are not necessary (unknown at this point) then the UK can either sell their stock, or agree to cancel the order.

But if they are needed, they've banked them.

I read a report that production had already started in readiness for approval later in the year. As to whether boosters or new strain vaccinations will be required will depend on how long immunity lasts and whether a trojan horse type strain beats the vaccine. Vaccine manufacturers will currently have samples/RNA structures of the newer strains in readiness for future production, this is where the mRNA type vaccines will lead the way because of the speed of modification. They need to find a way of protecting the RNA strand so that it can be stored at higher temperatures.

Valneva Commences Manufacturing of its Inactivated, Adjuvanted COVID-19 Vaccine, Completes Phase 1/2 Study Recruitment – Valneva

1 minute ago, yorkshirephil said:

I read a report that production had already started in readiness for approval later in the year. As to whether boosters or new strain vaccinations will be required will depend on how long immunity lasts and whether a trojan horse type strain beats the vaccine. Vaccine manufacturers will currently have samples/RNA structures of the newer strains in readiness for future production, this is where the mRNA type vaccines will lead the way because of the speed of modification. They need to find a way of protecting the RNA strand so that it can be stored at higher temperatures.

Valneva Commences Manufacturing of its Inactivated, Adjuvanted COVID-19 Vaccine, Completes Phase 1/2 Study Recruitment – Valneva

I saw an expert on TV a couple of weeks back saying the Government had bought one vaccine which used the whole virus genome, so would still work if some mutations took place.  I think it may be an older technology, so am not clear on the ins and outs of that.  What is your view of it? 

From a purely selfish point of view, I’ll be a lot happier (as will hundreds of thousands of others, including some here) when there’s a vaccine that provides full protection for those with suppressed immune systems.

I know they’re working on it, but it can’t come soon enough. Until then, not a great deal changes in reality, vaccine or no vaccine.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

From a purely selfish point of view, I’ll be a lot happier (as will hundreds of thousands of others, including some here) when there’s a vaccine that provides full protection for those with suppressed immune systems.

I know they’re working on it, but it can’t come soon enough. Until then, not a great deal changes in reality, vaccine or no vaccine.

I'm immunosupressed but really grateful that I was able to have my jab on saturday and apart from feeling really grotty yesterday now feel back to normal. Probably the only advantage of my medical problems is that I got vaccinated before my twin who will probably have to wait until April. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to have the current vaccine and hopefully now at least I have some protection even though I realise it doesn't give as much protection as other people

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

From reading the media reports BA provided free flights. 

The thing is, if the guidelines allows us to do an activity - and I don’t think it was against the rules to fly to Barbados in December, then we can’t really complain if people do something that they are permitted to do - even if it’s not something we’d do ourselves 

+1

8 minutes ago, ann141 said:

I'm immunosupressed but really grateful that I was able to have my jab on saturday and apart from feeling really grotty yesterday now feel back to normal. Probably the only advantage of my medical problems is that I got vaccinated before my twin who will probably have to wait until April. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to have the current vaccine and hopefully now at least I have some protection even though I realise it doesn't give as much protection as other people

Glad you're feeling better, Ann.  Certainly better to have it than not, and once they've developed a more specific vaccine, which probably isn't very far off (trials underway) you'll doubtless get that too for even better protection.

Harry

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, tring said:

I saw an expert on TV a couple of weeks back saying the Government had bought one vaccine which used the whole virus genome, so would still work if some mutations took place.  I think it may be an older technology, so am not clear on the ins and outs of that.  What is your view of it? 

My view is that the more varied technologies we use the better chance we have of beating covid, I could rattle on for hours about if this happened vaccine A would be best, if that happened B and so forth. Some older technologies are often dug out and are used with modern tech for shielding/targeting the molecule, some of our technologies that we patented did this. Many drugs including vaccines are partly destroyed or weakened by gut bacteria, the immune system or the fact that they don't pass through cell walls very well or the molecule is not quite the right shape. The Pfizer vaccine works like this, the RNA strand is protected by a "grease ball". I have added a link to a site I find handy to explain various vaccine types with nice diagrams.

COVID-19 vaccine: the eight technologies being tested | IVVN (intvetvaccnet.co.uk)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tring said:

I would agree with the fact it would be totally wrong to say that to a grieving relative.  That is not what I did when you decided to jump on my comment though.  Not that I thought that initial reply of yours was worthy of a response. 

I didn't mean to be insulting and I understood what you meant. I just commented that when I see those words they are upsetting to me personally. Not for one minute did I think that you were being heartless or uncaring, nor did I mean to offend you. I shall have to be more careful when choosing my words.

Avril

• Like 2

Sorry but might upset a few but at 100yrs of age at any time never mind during a pandemic is it responsible to fly long haul to Barbados for a holiday. IMO it was a silly thing to do and unfortunately, we hope not, but he might pay the ultimate price.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Ditto, from a selfish mother's point of view, who would love to see her 34 year old daughter back to some normality.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, majortom10 said:

Sorry but might upset a few but at 100yrs of age at any time never mind during a pandemic is it responsible to fly long haul to Barbados for a holiday. IMO it was a silly thing to do and unfortunately, we hope not, but he might pay the ultimate price.

If he is fit and his doctor agrees plus his insurance agrees and it is legal he has every right to travel if he wants.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery to Captain Tom.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

If he is fit and his doctor agrees plus his insurance agrees and it is legal he has every right to travel if he wants.

What is right and what is sensible are 2 different things and at 100 the body can only take so much. We are all told repeatedly to be sensible and to protect the NHS and now he is in hospital taking up a bed which he might not have needed if he had stayed at home.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, majortom10 said:

What is right and what is sensible are 2 different things and at 100 the body can only take so much. We are all told repeatedly to be sensible and to protect the NHS and now he is in hospital taking up a bed which he might not have needed if he had stayed at home.

Of all the people in this country Cap'n Tom deserves his hospital bed, regardless of what he should or should not have done.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

He wouldn’t be able to do it now with Priti’s Permission to travel regulation coming in. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Of all the people in this country Cap'n Tom deserves his hospital bed, regardless of what he should or should not have done.

I completely agree with you Annie. I could say more, but best to keep my head down on this thread😉

Avril

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

16 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Ditto, from a selfish mother's point of view, who would love to see her 34 year old daughter back to some normality.

Or from another way of looking at it ..

There is nothing selfish about wanting the best for your family or yourself even,

if it gives you and your family a better quality of life .  Your not asking for wealth

or riches, you are asking for something that will change your family's life for the better .

I hope your vaccine comes your way very soon until then ,stay safe :classic_smile:

• Like 6