Picture-A-Week 2020 - Week 48

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, November 23 and Sunday, November 29.

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

Where I live in Williamstown, it is rather flat. A result of volcanic activity laying down a thick layer of basalt (blue stone) rock.

In the next suburb over, there is a converted quarry where they used to dig up blue stone for building, roads etc. It is now a nature reserve. Because it dug out, it provides nice undulating ground for walking, and various animals and birds in the tees and lakes. 

So today at Newport Lakes, I was able to shoot various damselflies.

BBDCB104-463E-4E11-80A2-D3A53F0F5DDC.thumb.jpeg.3044355450de652ce5373dc49cca3193.jpeg

E197949E-A45F-428E-A1A5-E4124CF3235A.thumb.jpeg.88a74a6d6fdabb0dc6ca137dab3e21ec.jpeg

1C8CC799-7DA6-4926-BAEA-D1C62DD8166D.jpeg.6733ce0b0789fbb3c691a49780f5df19.jpeg

53968FE4-5194-4F1C-AC25-401B8887F1F5.thumb.jpeg.473881f6e86066e05685d181023f0ce3.jpeg

• Like 3

On 11/28/2020 at 12:15 PM, boeckli said:

If you have a garden, consider yourself lucky 😉

On 11/29/2020 at 2:12 AM, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

A garden year round but then we pay dearly for it in California with the high cost of real estate

Just to clarify - Nothing to do with cost of real estate. What I meant was that if Adrian has a garden, he can be lucky that he does not have brush turkeys, as they can be very destructive

Edited by boeckli
  • Like 1

Another week fades into the history books and Thanksgiving 2020 in the People’s Republic of California was a little weird. With all the rules and restrictions from the tin-pot dictators in place, families had to choose between cancelling Thanksgiving, sitting six feet apart out in the cold eating pre-packaged single-serving meals while speaking in hushed tones, or holding “peaceful protests” with reasonable precautions taken. Most law enforcement voiced a reluctance or even refusal to enforce the dictates but we were prepared with bricks, torches and an old window to break if we were challenged and had to prove our status as protesters. As it turned out, our small gathering ate well, had cheerful conversations and gave thanks for each other’s company.

Thanks!

p4069143927-5.jpg

Dave

• Like 2

Got out during the long holiday weekend only one day for shooting wildlife and birds - but it turned out to be a very nice day, Friday, November 27th.  Here are some of the wetlands critters:

The lovely pied-billed grebes - so soft and fluffy, and the size of a bathtub rubber ducky:

original.jpg

Stealthily hiding in the dark shady forest area, a red-shouldered hawk hoping none of the birds notice him.  I spotted him, but needed ISO 4,000 to shoot him in that dim light:

original.jpg

The American bitterns are back in the wetlands - a bird we get mostly during the winter months:

original.jpg

A juvenile little blue heron flying low over the water with his reflection:

original.jpg

This one-footed ibis has been around for a few years now - the loss of a foot probably to some water predator that he luckily got away from, doesn't seem to have slowed him down much:

original.jpg

I shot through dusk, and the last colors of the sun just after it set were lighting the sky on fire with a great color show.  Shooting silhouettes of the ibises coming in to roost against those colors made it worth staying until dark:

original.jpg

Also coming home for the night, a great blue heron, silhouetted against an explosion of pink and purple:

original.jpg

• Like 5

On 11/30/2020 at 3:30 PM, boeckli said:

Just to clarify - Nothing to do with cost of real estate. What I meant was that if Adrian has a garden, he can be lucky that he does not have brush turkeys, as they can be very destructive

I live in a townhouse.

No garden. No bush turkey. 

• Like 1