River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

It’s Christmas and at a really large garden centres big Christmas Decoration section at a fantastic display of German village style houses a little dot of a girl is listening to the music from the display and it changed to the theme tune from Frozen well she joined in full voice plus dancing she ended up with a large very appreciative audience applauding her oh so cute entirely fantastic efforts. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, gnome12 said:

I always thought that a currant was a completely different fruit and that it actually is a berry. Blackcurrant, redcurrant (and wikipedia says there is a whitecurrant). In the US what you call a currant is (again according to wikipedia), a Zante currant - a dried black Corinth grape.

BLACK CURRANTS - THE FORBIDDEN FRUIT

I have taken some interest in the non-availability of currant products in the USA. Everywhere we go in Germany the hotel breakfast tables have currant marmalade and my desired beverage (when beer or wine is not appropriate) is Adelholzener Johannisbeere Mineralwasser (well, unless I can get an Almdudler.)

Those little Greek grapes from "Zakynthos Corinth" came to be labeled "Zante Currants" in the United States, but like all other grapes they grow on vines, whereas currants grow on bushes. The cultivation of currants in the United States was banned in 1911 because the currants were an intermediary host to a fungus, white pine blister rust, that damages white pine trees, a very important forest product. US citizens had no exposure to real currants for so long that the confusion of thinking of those Zante grapes as "currants" was able to take hold. 

The US federal ban on cultivation of currants in was lifted in 1966 and left up to the individual states. Cultivars are now available that do not host the fungus. An acquaintance of mine was able to get the ban lifted in the State of New York in 2004 and he now runs a black currant farm and on-line retail operation in upstate NY. He was first exposed to black currants (schwarze Johannisbeeren) when in Germany. He and I were stationed in the same village in Bavaria in the early 1970's. He explains everything in an interesting TEDx video presentation: 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, RDVIK2016 said:

BLACK CURRANTS - THE FORBIDDEN FRUIT

I have taken some interest in the non-availability of currant products in the USA. Everywhere we go in Germany the hotel breakfast tables have currant marmalade and my desired beverage (when beer or wine is not appropriate) is Adelholzener Johannisbeere Mineralwasser (well, unless I can get an Almdudler.)

Those little Greek grapes from "Zakynthos Corinth" came to be labeled "Zante Currants" in the United States, but like all other grapes they grow on vines, whereas currants grow on bushes. The cultivation of currants in the United States was banned in 1911 because the currants were an intermediary host to a fungus, white pine blister rust, that damages white pine trees, a very important forest product. US citizens had no exposure to real currants for so long that the confusion of thinking of those Zante grapes as "currants" was able to take hold. 

The US federal ban on cultivation of currants in was lifted in 1966 and left up to the individual states. Cultivars are now available that do not host the fungus. An acquaintance of mine was able to get the ban lifted in the State of New York in 2004 and he now runs a black currant farm and on-line retail operation in upstate NY. He was first exposed to black currants (schwarze Johannisbeeren) when in Germany. He and I were stationed in the same village in Bavaria in the early 1970's. He explains everything in an interesting TEDx video presentation: 

Who knew???

• Like 2

10 hours ago, gnome12 said:

Who knew???

Yes, quite astounding. I just go to my local greengrocers for red currants and black currants. He does not have white currants but I can just get them at a big supermarket. My family had many currant bushes before they gave up the large garden. Always had jam, used them for cooking (although some recipes tell you to use the other fruit, Preiselbeeren), and so on. Probably had never eaten a cranberry before I went to England for the first time in my teenage years.

By the way we also use the word Korinthen which apparently is connected to the city of Corinth in that the grape variety carries that name. They are small and very dark compared to the other varieties. Fun language nerdy thing [that you do not learn in school and should not use in polite conversation]: we have the word Korinthenka**er. Wikipedia says it is nitpicking in English. The German is rather more drastic...

notamermaid

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Yes, quite astounding. I just go to my local greengrocers for red currants and black currants. He does not have white currants but I can just get them at a big supermarket. My family had many currant bushes before they gave up the large garden. Always had jam, used them for cooking (although some recipes tell you to use the other fruit, Preiselbeeren), and so on. Probably had never eaten a cranberry before I went to England for the first time in my teenage years.

By the way we also use the word Korinthen which apparently is connected to the city of Corinth in that the grape variety carries that name. They are small and very dark compared to the other varieties. Fun language nerdy thing [that you do not learn in school and should not use in polite conversation]: we have the word Korinthenka**er. Wikipedia says it is nitpicking in English. The German is rather more drastic...

notamermaid

Preiselbeeren are of the same genus as Heidelbeeren, that is Vaccinium.

I have some blueberry bushes - North American high bush - many might call them Heidelbeeren, but that is not really what they are. I have tried to learn the distinctions between related berries in order to talk about them to my German friends. It can make your head spin when trying to learn the differences between various berries. German Wikipedia likes to substitute the vernacular German word Heidelbeeren for the Latin genus Vaccinium. That really adds to the confusion. It seems one must use the Latin for the genus and sub-genus, and even species, if one wants to distinguish native North American high bush blueberries from bilberries (which are low bush and more like Heidelbeeren), or lingonberries (Preiselbeeren) from cranberries (Moosbeeren). 

@notamermaid, I believe German food stores sell North American blueberries and cranberries that have been introduced to Europe. How do they distinguish them from indigenous berries?

RDVIK

I well remember red and white currents from my childhood Dad grew them and guess who got to pick them, muggins I preferred picking blackcurrants, raspberries and strawberries. We have a super Tayberry in the garden it’s a blackberry and raspberry cross very tasty and no thorns.

2 hours ago, Canal archive said:

I well remember red and white currents from my childhood Dad grew them and guess who got to pick them, muggins I preferred picking blackcurrants, raspberries and strawberries. We have a super Tayberry in the garden it’s a blackberry and raspberry cross very tasty and no thorns.

I wonder how that name was chosen? 

10 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Fun language nerdy thing [that you do not learn in school and should not use in polite conversation]: we have the word Korinthenka**er. Wikipedia says it is nitpicking in English. The German is rather more drastic

Oh darn - Google translate says "nitpickers" as well. With a secondary definition of "pedantic persons" added. But I think I understand the literal translation because I know what the second word is... One of my professors told me that they used to call old people "Alte Ka**ers" in Yiddish and being a five-year-old boy at heart, I tend to remember such references!

Edited by jpalbny

On 9/29/2024 at 5:33 PM, Canal archive said:

Either fruit scones or plain. Fruit either currents, sultanas or raisins are not usually used in Dorset or Cornwall with their favourite cream and jam, plain scones however your choice of pronunciation is their usual choice. 
Actually Californian raisins are my preference in any fruit cake.

I don't put raisins in my scones. Which are different from our Biscuits.  I usually make cinnamon scones, blueberry scones, or raspberry scones the only savory scone I make is cheddar cheese and chive.  They are usually triangle shaped or you roll the dough into circles and cut it into wedges and bake like that.  

• Like 1

Nitpicker or in other words Finicky does that sound better either is acceptable. 
Although jpalbny you’ve nudged a memory from my youth when being sent, regularly, up to my birthplace in London to stay with my amazing grandmother who’s gallery of friends was legendary a lot of Yiddish was used by all and that was one of the words, the only reason I remember I’m sure is because when I asked what it meant I was told not I was told not to worry. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/1/2024 at 5:22 PM, RDVIK2016 said:

I believe German food stores sell North American blueberries and cranberries that have been introduced to Europe. How do they distinguish them from indigenous berries?

I am not sure that we have North American blueberries. Actually being a bit lost for an answer. In garden centres for the bushes you will find the Latin names and explanations of sorts. For the fruit it needs to be declared on the packaging  where the fruit comes from or you ask the farmer himself what he is growing. You are right though that we have Heidelbeeren and the bigger Blaubeeren (they have variety names), so perhaps what I regards as native may be a North American variety. Not sure.

notamermaid

• Like 1

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

I am not sure that we have North American blueberries. Actually being a bit lost for an answer. In garden centres for the bushes you will find the Latin names and explanations of sorts. For the fruit it needs to be declared on the packaging  where the fruit comes from or you ask the farmer himself what he is growing. You are right though that we have Heidelbeeren and the bigger Blaubeeren (they have variety names), so perhaps what I regards as native may be a North American variety. Not sure.

notamermaid

The bigger Blaubeeren are probably native North American highbush blueberries. The Latin name is "Vaccinium corymbosum". They might be labeled as "Kulturheidelbeeren" and could be grown in the Netherlands, Germany or a couple of other countries. Here is a description of their introduction to Europe.  https://www.ishs.org/ishs-article/446_5

@notamermaid You have "your" river on which I have seen a few times and cruised on once. This was scene a few days ago on "my" river when I walked down there. The Coast Guard training ship was taken from Germany after WWII as war reparations. She is a vessel of the Gorch Fock class and previously had the name Horst Wessel. 

RDVIKPXL_20240923_142004195.thumb.jpg.ae97d2b49ef27f1747751c0c364aab70.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, RDVIK2016 said:

They might be labeled as "Kulturheidelbeeren" and could be grown in the Netherlands, Germany or a couple of other countries.

I never knew that, thanks! I happen to have Kulturheidelbeeren in my fridge from Aldi, grown in Argentinia [plain stupid of me to encourage that kind of travel, had not noticed, will not buy again], variety is called Snowchaser, no Latin name.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Talking about the flooding on the river system in Europe with the guys on the ground on the English canal I’m involved with they are pretty sure that most of the lock damage has probably been caused by floating debris like tree trunks and moving silt/gravel combined with the excessive water depth. They were only to glad they weren’t there. Evidently excessive water can lift a swing gate out of its quoin, I know technical but they love it. 

The debris is a real problem. I remember reading earlier this year that river cruise ships actually had to be careful as not to sustain damage at the hull and move docking locations. That was on the Rhine. Thankfully things are looking better now, even on the Oder river.

My local "Pound shop" which is of course then a Euro shop has put the cheap Christmas decorations for sale on display already. Eeek, we have not even carved the pumpkins yet! If we do... I mean it is all a bit early for Christmas things but nevertheless I will start that Christmas market cruises thread very soon. This morning it was cool enough for it. Have been told there was fog over the river. I love that, it looks as if the river is boiling, or at least steaming.

notamermaid

5 hours ago, notamermaid said:

The debris is a real problem. I remember reading earlier this year that river cruise ships actually had to be careful as not to sustain damage at the hull and move docking locations. That was on the Rhine. Thankfully things are looking better now, even on the Oder river.

My local "Pound shop" which is of course then a Euro shop has put the cheap Christmas decorations for sale on display already. Eeek, we have not even carved the pumpkins yet! If we do... I mean it is all a bit early for Christmas things but nevertheless I will start that Christmas market cruises thread very soon. This morning it was cool enough for it. Have been told there was fog over the river. I love that, it looks as if the river is boiling, or at least steaming.

notamermaid

Here are some images of the river flooding and flood debris from hurricane Helene in North Carolina.  Water is nothing to take for granted.  The power is devastating.

It is crazy how early Christmas decorations are put out for sale.  As soon as the 4th of July was over, put out halloween AND Christmas decorations.  It is getting ridiculous.  🎄🎃

Helene debris 1.jpg

helene debris 2.jpg

On 10/6/2024 at 2:20 AM, screwsmcernst said:

Here are some images of the river flooding and flood debris from hurricane Helene in North Carolina.

It is really incredible. Literally for me. We have storms here sometimes. And I have been in some really bad weather. Even experienced a hurricane. But this is something else. The shock about the Ahr valley disaster runs deep, but what you are seeing in those American states is the Ahr valley several times over.

My thoughts go to Florida today. Hope you all get through this okay somehow.

My friend in Charlotte North Carolina is okay. @TheKingD I hope you are, too.

It was a weird kind of air where I live yesterday and it continues this morning. Not sure what it is but an odd mist and smell was hanging over the Rhine. We have a weather warning for part of the Rhine valley and adjoining regions. You know, what we call heavy weather. Not what you call heavy weather. Ours is level 2 or 3 as per the German authorities, the scale goes up to level 4. We expect winds of up to 120km per hour, potentially up to 140km per hour in exposed areas. That is quite a lot for us.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Thanks for your concern, @notamermaid.  We are ok too, even though communities less than an hour west of us were affected and areas a bit farther northwest are destroyed.  I think your friend is slightly north of us, and I’m glad he is ok.  We live in an older part of town where there are a lot of large trees, and the winds wreak havoc, even with less serious storms, so we were without power for 3 days.  But we are not close to lakes or rivers, so we did not have to worry about flooding or mudslides.  In the big scheme of things, we have a lot to be thankful for, and as tragic as some of the stories coming out of the mountains are, there are some really heartwarming stories too.  

I’m sending prayers for all who are affected by storms and for those offering help- all over the world!  

• Like 2

We’ve had some really weird weather over the last few weeks, nowhere near as bad as the horrendous winds and water everyone else is copping with but the other day I opened the shutters on our front lounge window which faces East and I thought I was back in Kuala Lumpur there was condensation on the outside of the glass I checked and were still in England. 
Keep safe everyone please.

I see on the authorities' website that there is also a lot of water in the Seine river catchment area. One tributary is flooding (red alert) and another is high.

1 hour ago, Canal archive said:

We’ve had some really weird weather over the last few weeks

I agree, something is not right this summer and autumn.

notamermaid

One of the scariest things is not so much the devastation in Europe and that’s been terrible. Is watching the effects in the USA my DH keeps saying - we’ve been there! Look what’s happening! Okay we’ve been to the States many times and to many places. All I can say is keep as safe as you can as we now can’t come back and check, age and infirmity have at last caught up with us.

• Thanks 1